Launch Member

Member III

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Weiss
Member #

I plan on looking it over at Overland east and at the same time take classes on the other methods. I have a Microsoft surface and a mount. If it does what they say it might be a much simpler solution. I'm pretty cheap but anyone who drops $$$ on rooftop tents when ground tents of the same size can be had for $40.00- to $100.00 shouldn't complain. With all the money we have in our vehicles it's not that expensive. We shall see ...

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
With all the money we have in our vehicles it's not that expensive.
I take offense to that. Does it look like I've overspent a single dime on my overlanding vehicle?:

94891715-97b7-4c7d-8093-c2261accd493.jpeg

The gold reflects sun to keep the engine nice and cool. The giant whiskers on the front are actually antennas - it's just more aerodynamic for them to be in whisker form, greatly adding to fuel efficiency. And I think it's fairly obvious how crucial the wings are...

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
I am not very tech savvy and honestly I don't really want to put in a lot of effort on GPS, mapping, etc...Basically I am lazy or would just like to take off and enjoy the trip. So the GPS situation is about the most frustrating thing I have at the moment. I don't understand why they cannot build a device that gives maps for every area in the USA without having to load a map for this area or that area. I just want to get in the vehicle and drive... What is so hard about this? I don't want a subscription either. I just want to explore areas and when I need to find my way I have a device capable of getting me there and back. Maybe I am missing something but it seems people put a lot of effort and time into GPS which is something I am not interested in doing. Is there a good/easy GPS solution that doesn't cost mega money or massive amounts of effort??? It isn't this new Garmin that is for sure.

Reactions: MazeVX

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I am not very tech savvy and honestly I don't really want to put in a lot of effort on GPS, mapping, etc...Basically I am lazy or would just like to take off and enjoy the trip. So the GPS situation is about the most frustrating thing I have at the moment. I don't understand why they cannot build a device that gives maps for every area in the USA without having to load a map for this area or that area. I just want to get in the vehicle and drive... What is so hard about this? I don't want a subscription either. I just want to explore areas and when I need to find my way I have a device capable of getting me there and back. Maybe I am missing something but it seems people put a lot of effort and time into GPS which is something I am not interested in doing. Is there a good/easy GPS solution that doesn't cost mega money or massive amounts of effort??? It isn't this new Garmin that is for sure.
You won’t like my answer / opinion but I’m going to say No. Maps and trails get updated all the time. If you want to go cheap use something like Maps.me for offline maps and hope for the best. Or Pocket Earth. You won’t get the functionality or level of detsil as an app like Gaia but maybe it will work for your intended purpose.

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
You won’t like my answer / opinion but I’m going to say No. Maps and trails get updated all the time. If you want to go cheap use something like Maps.me for offline maps and hope for the best. Or Pocket Earth. You won’t get the functionality or level of detsil as an app like Gaia but maybe it will work for your intended purpose.
I actually value your opinion, so thank you. I know maps and trails get updated and plugging something in for an update is way easier than what it seems you have to do now.... I guess my post was more of a rant than anything at the frustration of finding a nationwide all encompassing GPS. Offroad, on road, whatever, I don't see why this is not possible? I do have a cheap Samsung cell phone that has Maps.me but it has a lot of limitations for sure. Maybe I just need to bite the bullet and learn Gaia, dang it, but first I am trying to tackle the whole HAM radio thing at the moment. Who would of thought going on a road trip and camping would be to technical???

DrivingTacoLoco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Weiss
Member #

I've been thinking the same thing. From what I have seen the Garmin Overlander maybe as close as there is. At least I hope so. While I'm not a subscription guy updating maps is essential and someone has to pay for it. There are no free lunches.

Reactions: Wallygator

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I actually value your opinion, so thank you. I know maps and trails get updated and plugging something in for an update is way easier than what it seems you have to do now.... I guess my post was more of a rant than anything at the frustration of finding a nationwide all encompassing GPS. Offroad, on road, whatever, I don't see why this is not possible? I do have a cheap Samsung cell phone that has Maps.me but it has a lot of limitations for sure. Maybe I just need to bite the bullet and learn Gaia, dang it, but first I am trying to tackle the whole HAM radio thing at the moment. Who would of thought going on a road trip and camping would be to technical???
Yeah I understand. I have been using GPS since it first came out in one form or another. There is an article on my website from a couple of years ago that has a link for 3 months of Gaia Premium for free. I think it is title “Our preferred GPS application” or something like that. The link is towards the bottom of the article.

Anyway, Garmin keep trying. Maybe they will have some holiday specials with a large price drop.

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
Definitely use whatever you like and whatever works best for how you like to navigate (i.e. some people just prefer a separate device for navigation and that's OK). But keep this in mind, there is nothing that the Garmin Overlander does that the smartphone that's in your pocket right now can't already do for you.

In fact, at it's most basic level, the Garmin Overlander is just a smartphone. It's running a modified version of the Android operating system – excluding cell service capabilities, including a very slightly customized skin, and locking it down to only include the pre-installed apps. The GPS capabilities of it are no different and no better than the GPS built-in to any smartphone produced in at least the last 8 years.

So to answer @Wallygator question – "Is there a good/easy GPS solution that doesn't cost mega money or massive amounts of effort?" – the answer is most definitely your current smartphone. It costs you nothing in addition to what you've already paid or are paying for it. And the only effort required is downloading whatever app you want to use.

Gaia is a fantastic app and you can buy a subscription for dirt cheap. I bought a 5 year subscription for something like 60 bucks. And now, by using the discount code available through Lifestyle Overland, you can get a 5 year subscription for $48 – that's less than 10 bucks per year. Use this link to take advantage of their discount: Lifestyle Overland Discount | Gaia GPS

If you want iOverlander, the app that Garmin brags is "pre-installed", just install it. It's completely free.

As far as loading maps, you've already got all maps available through Gaia. The only exception is that you'll lose detailed views if you're in an area where you don't have cell internet service. This is where downloading maps for offline use comes in, which is super easy. Heck, you could download a section of map encompassing your entire state if you wanted to, at whatever level of detail you want. I understand the desire to "just get in the car and drive" but, surely, you do have at least some idea of of the general area you'll be in before you leave (i.e. I'll be in my county or surrounding counties, I'll be in my state, I'll be in the Southeast, etc.)? So if you're concerned about the remote possibility of not having cell internet service, just download for offline use a section of map that's way bigger than the area you're thinking you might be and then you'll be well covered for wherever you might end up. :smile:

DrivingTacoLoco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Weiss
Member #

Definitely use whatever you like and whatever works best for how you like to navigate (i.e. some people just prefer a separate device for navigation and that's OK). But keep this in mind, there is nothing that the Garmin Overlander does that the smartphone that's in your pocket right now can't already do for you.

In fact, at it's most basic level, the Garmin Overlander is just a smartphone. It's running a modified version of the Android operating system – excluding cell service capabilities, including a very slightly customized skin, and locking it down to only include the pre-installed apps. The GPS capabilities of it are no different and no better than the GPS built-in to any smartphone produced in at least the last 8 years.

So to answer @Wallygator question – "Is there a good/easy GPS solution that doesn't cost mega money or massive amounts of effort?" – the answer is most definitely your current smartphone. It costs you nothing in addition to what you've already paid or are paying for it. And the only effort required is downloading whatever app you want to use.

Gaia is a fantastic app and you can buy a subscription for dirt cheap. I bought a 5 year subscription for something like 60 bucks. And now, by using the discount code available through Lifestyle Overland, you can get a 5 year subscription for $48 – that's less than 10 bucks per year. Use this link to take advantage of their discount: Lifestyle Overland Discount | Gaia GPS

If you want iOverlander, the app that Garmin brags is "pre-installed", just install it. It's completely free.

As far as loading maps, you've already got all maps available through Gaia. The only exception is that you'll lose detailed views if you're in an area where you don't have cell internet service. This is where downloading maps for offline use comes in, which is super easy. Heck, you could download a section of map encompassing your entire state if you wanted to, at whatever level of detail you want. I understand the desire to "just get in the car and drive" but, surely, you do have at least some idea of of the general area you'll be in before you leave (i.e. I'll be in my county or surrounding counties, I'll be in my state, I'll be in the Southeast, etc.)? So if you're concerned about the remote possibility of not having cell internet service, just download for offline use a section of map that's way bigger than the area you're thinking you might be and then you'll be well covered for wherever you might end up. :smile:
How are you so sure of what the Garmin Overlander does and has? I haven't found that much real user information on it. It is supposed to have all of the US maps preloaded. I suppose the subscription is for updating maps and apps. I know my phone doesn't have room for all of that. My MS Surface might. I will check it out and operate it at Overland East and grill the Garmin folks thoroughly.

What detailed questions do you think I should ask?

Sonarman

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North SF bay area
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Arietta
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KMA6AIU
Service Branch
US Submarine Force
We need to hear from someone who has actually used the unit for a period of time. Bottom line, assuming you are starting from scratch and this is you first unit, you don’t have tablet and are not super tech savvy does it get you where you want to go?

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR

That's a good summary. Especially the reminder that this device really is a mini Android tablet.

Not to take anything away from Kevin, Lifestyle Overland, but I offer the same discount. :) So for those that appreciate what I do on OB as much as Kevin's videos you can pick who you would like to support. 4XOA Discount

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
How are you so sure of what the Garmin Overlander does and has?
Not sure if there's some specific piece of information I stated about the Overlander that you're referring to but any information I have comes directly from Garmin's product page: Garmin Overlander™ | Navigation for Overlanding

As for the pre-loaded maps, yes, it does have those so you don't have to download anything yourself for offline use. But again, through Gaia or some comparable app you can download as many maps as you want for offline use on any smartphone. Obviously, as you allude to, you do have to keep that within the limits of the storage capacity on your phone. However, the Overlander only has 64GB of storage, which means that to keep a comparable amount of offline data on your smartphone can't take up any more space than that. Most smartphones nowadays come with a bare minimum of 64GB of storage, so you're likely already set (heck, many come with 128GB or even 256GB). But if you ever need more storage, say if your smartphone has 16 or 32GB and you want to keep map data for the entire country offline, you can simply insert a MicroSD card to expand your storage space because external storage is dirt cheap now. You can get 64GB of high-speed MicroSD storage for about $15.

I'm definitely not saying the Overlander is a bad or worthless device. It's just that it's literally an Android tablet but with less capability because it's locked down to only do what they want it to do. For much less money, you could just buy a regular Android tablet that does whatever you want it to do, in addition to doing everything that the Overlander does. But as a software developer, I'm very comfortable monkeying around with a piece of technology to make it do what I want to do. A lot of people are not as comfortable with techy stuff, so they may feel better about just paying more money for something that does what they want without having to know anything about how it's doing it – and that's totally cool.

Knowing what tech is actually in it though, I do think it's way overpriced for what you're getting. But that's just a temporary thing because it's new. Those prices will come down quickly and it'll get into a much better position to where the pricepoint properly matches it's usefulness (I would hope).

Last edited:

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
We need to hear from someone who has actually used the unit for a period of time. Bottom line, assuming you are starting from scratch and this is you first unit, you don’t have tablet and are not super tech savvy does it get you where you want to go?
You should check out Lifestyle Overland's review:

It's very thorough and it's based on actual use – about 2 months worth of navigating around New Mexico.

Reactions: pnwexplorer

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
Now I want to grill them more at Expo East. Any questions that that I should ask?
My only question would be "when do you plan on lowering the price to something realistic?" :laughing:

Seriously though, you could ask them "what benefits, other than some preloaded map data, makes this thing worth purchasing over a standard Android tablet that's significantly less money, and has 4x the storage space, that I can install Gaia and iOverlander on and also use it for games, movies, whatever I want, etc.?" That's an honest and relevant question - but it'll also make them sweat a little bit, which will be fun to watch. :sunglasses:

DrivingTacoLoco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Weiss
Member #

My only question would be "when do you plan on lowering the price to something realistic?" :laughing:

Seriously though, you could ask them "what benefits, other than some preloaded map data, makes this thing worth purchasing over a standard Android tablet that's significantly less money, and has 4x the storage space, that I can install Gaia and iOverlander on and also use it for games, movies, whatever I want, etc.?" That's an honest and relevant question - but it'll also make them sweat a little bit, which will be fun to watch. :sunglasses:
I can probably answer that from their video's. Simple to use, Don't need do deal with all those companies and web sites, integration of software and inreach integration.

What attracted me to it is the simplicity of an all in one unit. I am learning the reality is there is no such thing. Everyone has there own particular needs. I don't even know what mine are right now. Let alone the future. The locked device probably bothers me the most. I don't use Apple products because of this proprietary BS.

I understand why they do it as people download all kinds of garbage that crashes devices. They don't want to be responsible for troubleshooting. But it irks me.

So now I need to figure out the best way to use my Android phone and MS Surface tablet. Software, Maps, GPS antenna upgrade Inreach or similar for emergencies.

I'm looking forward to Expo East. I have signed up for all the classes on this subject. Hopefully after that I can set up a semi-complete system for long term travel.

Reactions: Sonarman

DrivingTacoLoco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Weiss
Member #

Let me tell you the other side because of course Garmin has your best interest at heart.

They decided the specs of the device
They lock down device
They decide what to “allow” you to load what
When they decide EOL wills to support
If they decide to charge subscription fee they will
If they get bored because apparently they are now a lifestyle fitness company they may kill off line like the did with Basecamp, MacOs support which always lags, they change apps and make your $700 device “unsupported”

Come on don’t be naive buy a tablet, load what you want 5years from now buy new version move apps over done!
Should I buy an Android tablet instead of using my Surface Pro?