Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
I guess it all depends on what you may or may not already have. I use my tablet and Gaia or Earthmate now. I have paper maps to fall back on. And my Jeep has factory navigation. I don’t see the need for another screen.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Hello, Jeep? you partner with garmin for your nav, put this in your DASH! I would get one, but lately I am using my old tablet and it is working fine. I use my garmin dakota 10 for kayaking, hiking and mtn biking. I am thinking about putting in an android based head unit in my escape and retiring my old tablet so it's all clean mounted.

Reactions: Chadlyb

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
I have yet to decide on a Nav system for my truck. Currently I use my Garmin handheld and paper. I want to start using my ipad. I would be sold if I could buy a downloadable version. But, I really don't need another "box" to figure out where to mount.

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

I'm a fan of dedicated things.
And I'm annoyed by the apps, some things are different in Europe and this thing could really be a game changer. I will definitely take a closer look at it.
The price?
Yes it's pricey but if it works as I hope it's worth it!

jplemons

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fresno, CA, USA
Member #

Slap “overland” on it, charge 60% more than it’s worth and hope the marketing sticks. I’ll pass. I’m considering an InReach at some point and use Gaia, a WiFi iPad and a Glo for my GPS signal. Eagerly awaiting the new Overland Bound app as well.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I prefer a dedicated GPS where I don't have to load the maps before a trip. Several years ago, I had a Garmin Nuvi. Bought the off-road package and loved it. The unit was stolen and I started using tablets. Roll forward several years and 4 tablets later. I would load my area, and sometimes decide to check out something new. Now I find I went into an area I didn't load. No map.

I started looking for a dedicated GPS and find the Magellin off road. Dedicated off road only with all the maps loaded. At the time it was over $600. So I bought it. It was exactly what I needed. You would think that a major GPS manufacture would know how to build one. I was wrong. To top it off, it was still being beta tested. I researched it extensively before buying. What I didn't realize was the only people who did write ups were journalists. I found no bad reviews. Over all the single most horrid GPS I have owned.

Now Garmin has one. Same price point, same tablet size. If you didn't notice, take no less than 1/2 inch off the screen size all the way around for the inside border.
Will I drop a ton of money again on a product that appears to be exactly what I need? I don't know. So far the only reviews are "We used it going here and loved it". Same as I saw before. I didnt see any "we have used it for over a year and loved it" on the magellin, before I bought it. I wont make the same mistake twice.

Before anyone asks if I contacted Magellin. Yes, the guys working on the design and flaws are local.
If your thinking of the Garmin, wait a while. Oh...the magellin came down in price a few years later.

Last edited:

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Slap “overland” on it, charge 60% more than it’s worth and hope the marketing sticks.
Cant blame them for taking advantage of the huge "overlanding" fad. People are dropping large amounts of money into rigs right now. Im seeing more fully built rigs on new vehicle's with RTT's then ever. 10 years ago it was new JK's with 40's and no fenders all built for rock crawl. Most never saw dirt.

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Ok, about the price... Garmin had a legendary offroad Navi before, it was the standard device for Africa travelers and was proven to be the best available system, far better and way more reliable than everything else.
I used Garmin mtb navigation, it worked, used a Garmin street navigation, worked.
Garmin is the leader of the pack with outdoor and expedition handheld navigation systems.
Now they did it again, just wait a little for the review of xoverland. I'm quite sure they don't ruin their reputation with it.
There are many professionals who are using the Garmin devices.

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
Ok, about the price... Garmin had a legendary offroad Navi before, it was the standard device for Africa travelers and was proven to be the best available system, far better and way more reliable than everything else.
I used Garmin mtb navigation, it worked, used a Garmin street navigation, worked.
Garmin is the leader of the pack with outdoor and expedition handheld navigation systems.
Now they did it again, just wait a little for the review of xoverland. I'm quite sure they don't ruin their reputation with it.
There are many professionals who are using the Garmin devices.
Just an FYI, since I see that you're in Germany, I think that the Overlander is only designed for use in (i.e. only has maps for) North and South America. At least that's what their marketing seems to be indicating.

Reactions: MazeVX