Launch Member

Member III

Rockingham, Western Australia, Australia
First Name
Karl
Last Name
Fehlauer
Member #

This is a photo of Walga Rock which is located in the mid west region of Western Australia.

It is a significant site to the local Indigenous People and under the over hang (which you can just see) is an ancient art gallery and the paintings are thought to be over 10 000 years old.

Amongst those paintings is one of a sailing ship (see below) and this painting is thought to be at least 500 years old which predates European settlement by about 300 years - it is not known who drew it, whether it was an Indigenous person or a sailor from a shipwreck, noting that Walga Rock is 500 km in land from the Indian Ocean.

Karl

2017-09-26 - Landscape - 091-Pano-Edit.jpg

10 000 year old art gallery

2017-09-26 - Landscape - 101-Pano-Edit.jpg

The mysterious sailing ship painting

2017-09-26 - Landscape - 097-Edit.jpg

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
This is a photo of Walga Rock which is located in the mid west region of Western Australia.

It is a significant site to the local Indigenous People and under the over hang (which you can just see) is an ancient art gallery and the paintings are thought to be over 10 000 years old.

Amongst those paintings is one of a sailing ship (see below) and this painting is thought to be at least 500 years old which predates European settlement by about 300 years - it is not known who drew it, whether it was an Indigenous person or a sailor from a shipwreck, noting that Walga Rock is 500 km in land from the Indian Ocean.

Karl

View attachment 118398

10 000 year old art gallery

View attachment 118399

The mysterious sailing ship painting

View attachment 118400
It kinda looks like those seen in the Arabian Sea, (DOWS) or of Chinese origin (JUNKS). There is a lot of history lost in the world, and the knowledge we have today is directly attributed to those cultures who valued bureaucratic records...Roman/Greek, Arab, Chinese, etc. It's to bad the Catholic Church was so determined to stamp out Central and South American culture and religion, as the surviving Religious texts are only a small percentage of what was lost or destroyed. To the victors, go the spoils, and who write History, is so true in this world.

That rock drawing is amazing, as you pointed out. 500 Miles inland, so you know trade and knowledge flowed across the continent. Here in the USA, along the Southern border area, there are reminders of how far North influences were. There were discovered 1 or 2 ? 'ball courts' that were directly copied from the Aztecs of Central Mexico. Also Sea shells from the Pacific Shore, 300 miles inland near the cliff dwelling people. As was turquoise stones in the New Mexico/Arizona area found on our west coast, showing how trade routes were open on this continent.

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

monflores1008

Rank 0

Contributor I

Torrance, CA
First Name
Ramon
Last Name
Flores
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6RMF
Last edited:

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

New England Lake Camping

View from camp one morning...

This was a great spot for a canoe camp in that with all the cattails, the folks with larger fishing boats couldn't pull up to shore as they can in other spots, so it is often available when others are not. I could slip my Nomad canoe in right there, drift out through the cattails, and find my way back after dark by lantern light on the galley counter of my trailer.

lakeside-1908027_1349-1000.jpg

This is another lake camp, though I'd do the same thing; set a lantern on my galley counter before I left if I thought I might be out paddling after sunset. It's the tiny bright spot on the counter, and after dark it is like a mini roaddude lighthouse, guiding me back to the right opening along the shore.

hornbeck-to-camp_0958-1000.jpg

Nomad164

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Rockingham, Western Australia, Australia
First Name
Karl
Last Name
Fehlauer
Member #

It kinda looks like those seen in the Arabian Sea, (DOWS) or of Chinese origin (JUNKS). There is a lot of history lost in the world, and the knowledge we have today is directly attributed to those cultures who valued bureaucratic records...Roman/Greek, Arab, Chinese, etc. It's to bad the Catholic Church was so determined to stamp out Central and South American culture and religion, as the surviving Religious texts are only a small percentage of what was lost or destroyed. To the victors, go the spoils, and who write History, is so true in this world.

That rock drawing is amazing, as you pointed out. 500 Miles inland, so you know trade and knowledge flowed across the continent. Here in the USA, along the Southern border area, there are reminders of how far North influences were. There were discovered 1 or 2 ? 'ball courts' that were directly copied from the Aztecs of Central Mexico. Also Sea shells from the Pacific Shore, 300 miles inland near the cliff dwelling people. As was turquoise stones in the New Mexico/Arizona area found on our west coast, showing how trade routes were open on this continent.
We have hundreds of ship wrecks off of the coast of Western Australia that we know but there may be many more that we don't.

Most of the known ones are Portuguese, Dutch and English but there must be many from Arabia and the sub continent that we don't know of.

There is some sort of writing under the drawing of the ship and to me it looks similar to Arabic or Indian, but who knows.

Our history is fascinating and so little is known.

Karl

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM