Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
My daughter and I doing some clean up at my favorite fishing hole for her Earth Day school project a few weeks ago. I ran out of bags but their was still plenty left so I'll be making another stop to get the rest later.

View attachment 97273View attachment 97274
Enough glass for recycling, nice. Private or public access? If public, the town should make a trash bin available. It would not stop all of it, but would hopefully curtail some of it.

JoelIII

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Camp Lejeune, NC
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Wasson
Member #

Enough glass for recycling, nice. Private or public access? If public, the town should make a trash bin available. It would not stop all of it, but would hopefully curtail some of it.
Its on base so private access. All I had brought at the time was a handful of Walmart bags thinking we wouldn't see much. As soon as I got to the edge of the tree line I could see a pile of bottles, looked further in and the piles kept going. We ran out of bags and I didn't want my daughter getting to deep in the brush so I decided to leave it and come back another day. I still haven't gotten everything even though I went back last weekend, I'm estimating it'll all be enough to fill two full sized kitchen garbage bags by the time I get it all.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Its on base so private access. All I had brought at the time was a handful of Walmart bags thinking we wouldn't see much. As soon as I got to the edge of the tree line I could see a pile of bottles, looked further in and the piles kept going. We ran out of bags and I didn't want my daughter getting to deep in the brush so I decided to leave it and come back another day. I still haven't gotten everything even though I went back last weekend, I'm estimating it'll all be enough to fill two full sized kitchen garbage bags by the time I get it all.
BASE !.....a memo needs to be issued, 'caught dumping or not picking up after yourself'....REPORT and KP or worse. I'm surprised that this has not been addressed in the past.

JoelIII

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Camp Lejeune, NC
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Wasson
Member #

BASE !.....a memo needs to be issued, 'caught dumping or not picking up after yourself'....REPORT and KP or worse. I'm surprised that this has not been addressed in the past.
Well for all of the really good fishing spots, you have to drive through training areas... so long as they are not hot ranges of course. The unfortunate thing is that if you report an area that is trashed, the range inspectors will come out and survey, and I'm not sure if they still do now, but "back in the day" if they found to much trash then that area would be closed for any recreational use even when a range was cold. You will get a heavy fine if your caught dumping trash but you can hear someone coming down these trails long before you see them so its a little harder I imagine for people to get caught. Every time I go out I end up picking up a bit, and after storms is really bad cause a lot of garbage and debris that is in the water finally comes to rest along the banks.

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

Reactions: Charles M

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Reactions: Charles M

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
Nice pix! I know exactly where your Keys pix was taken! Half Dome looks awesome, going there next fall.
I love the Keys being and an ex Florida boy I have spent a lot of time down there. I grew up in St. Lucie county. Half dome and every thing in Yosemite is amazing. I have rock climbed El Capitan and Glacier point and hiked up part way to Half dome. Since I am only 62 I still would like to rock climb the face or at least up the Snake dike route of Half dome before I get to much older... If you want to hike Half dome you will need to get a lottery permit for it.

That first picture of the sun and clouds(Nevada), and the Florida one, are over the top. Very nice,....... the others are good also!
Thank you. The Nevada photo was taken from my private camp spot the sun rays extended above and beyond where I was standing it was a once in a lifetime moment to see. totally breath taking.

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

I love the Keys being and an ex Florida boy I have spent a lot of time down there. I grew up in St. Lucie county. Half dome and every thing in Yosemite is amazing. I have rock climbed El Capitan and Glacier point and hiked up part way to Half dome. Since I am only 62 I still would like to rock climb the face or at least up the Snake dike route of Half dome before I get to much older... If you want to hike Half dome you will need to get a lottery permit for it.

Thank you. The Nevada photo was taken from my private camp spot the sun rays extended above and beyond where I was standing it was a once in a lifetime moment to see. totally breath taking.
We call the building in your Fl pix the Iguana house. It is still the same since your pix. We were exploring several years ago with our skiff and checked it out. There must have been several hundred iguanas sunning themselves in the mangroves. Never saw so many in one place. The Keys have change a lot since Hurricane Irma, they really took a hit, but is rebounding back. Bahia Honda basically got washed away, it was shocking, looked like a sandbar, everything that was green was gone. Long Key is still closed. Knights Key Campground at the southern tip of Marathon right before the 7 mile bridge that I have been going to since I was a little kid is gone, its all condos now. Basically a lot of buildings that were not new and up to code are gone. 75% of the liveabords in Boot Key Harbor are gone, they still haven’t found a lot of them. My buddy had his 27’ with twins trailered and chained to a telephone pole in Big Pine. The only thing that was left was the transom and engines still chained to the pole. We were down in Nov. for the Offshore races and stayed at Curry Hammock in Marathon. I was totally amazed how fast the plant life has rebounded. Bahia Honda has rebounded nicely also. But the “old Keys” are gone.

Last edited:
Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
We call the building in your Fl pix the Iguana house. It is still the same since your pix. We were exploring several years ago with our skiff and checked it out. There must have been several hundred iguanas sunning themselves in the mangroves. Never saw so many in one place. The Keys have change a lot since Hurricane Irma, they really took a hit, but is rebounding back. Bahia Honda basically got washed away, it was shocking, looked like a sandbar, everything that was green was gone. Long Key is still closed. Knights Key Campground at the southern tip of Marathon right before the 7 mile bridge that I have been going to since I was a little kid is gone, its all condos now. Basically a lot of buildings that were not new and up to code are gone. 75% of the liveabords in Boot Key Harbor are gone, they still haven’t found a lot of them. My buddy had his 27’ with twins trailered and chained to a telephone pole in Big Pine. The only thing that was left was the transom and engines still chained to the pole. We were down in Nov. for the Offshore races and stayed at Curry Hammock in Marathon. I was totally amazed how fast the plant life has rebounded. Bahia Honda has rebounded nicely also. But it “old Keys” are gone.
Wow that is heart breaking. It is sad to see the changes in the keys since the 60's when I first started going down there. At least the vegetation in Florida always rebounds pretty quickly after huricanes and fires. I loved that campsite right on the water by the bridge there were always lobster holed up about 6 feet down hiding in a ledge. It always gave us a good meal camping there plenty of fish lobster and crabs and one of the few places in the world where you can watch the sunrise over the ocean and a sunset over the golf of Mexico from the same place.

Reactions: Flipper