Nature Photos

• HTML tutorial

Chris M.

Rank 0

Traveler I

Nv.
Can you share what settings you used on this great shot?... still working on this style of shot. Thanks.
Yes, in this image I used 3 exposures one for the flow of the water and exposing for the foreground that was taken at 16mm f8 at
1 second exposure iso 50

Another was taken to expose for the sky since it was so bright. At f8 at 1/50 of a sec. iso 50

Then one more expose to capture the birds in flight. At f5.6 1/250 of a sec iso 800

I blend all these images in photoshop into a master image then work that with color correction and a normal work flow from there.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Yes, in this image I used 3 exposures one for the flow of the water and exposing for the foreground that was taken at 16mm f8 at
1 second exposure iso 50

Another was taken to expose for the sky since it was so bright. At f8 at 1/50 of a sec. iso 50

Then one more expose to capture the birds in flight. At f5.6 1/250 of a sec iso 800

I blend all these images in photoshop into a master image then work that with color correction and a normal work flow from there.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Thanks.... Is blending also known as Layering or is it a different technique?

Chris M.

Rank 0

Traveler I

Nv.
Thanks.... Is blending also known as Layering or is it a different technique?
Yes layering is how I blend the photographs together. I use layer masks in photoshop. The creative side of photography wich I enjoy helps you push the limits of taking a photograph.

Our cameras are limited in the dynamic range they can capture. Also if you want to capture the motion of water and the birds overhead u need to use to complete opisite settings

With that said learning photoshop and how do do this effectively takes a lot of practice. Luckily there are endless amount of people sharing there knowledge online.

I like to keep my photographs real but surreal looking I want to capture what I feel when there. I only use photoshop to take my images further than the camera can.

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Yes layering is how I blend the photographs together. I use layer masks in photoshop. The creative side of photography wich I enjoy helps you push the limits of taking a photograph.

Our cameras are limited in the dynamic range they can capture. Also if you want to capture the motion of water and the birds overhead u need to use to complete opisite settings

With that said learning photoshop and how do do this effectively takes a lot of practice. Luckily there are endless amount of people sharing there knowledge online.

I like to keep my photographs real but surreal looking I want to capture what I feel when there. I only use photoshop to take my images further than the camera can.
Thanks again for the info. I use CyberLink PhotoDirector. It's very similar to LR and PS. I've tried my hand at layering and you're right, it takes practice practice and a bit more practice.

You should enter one of your shots for the new header image on the OB West Facebook page. :sunglasses:

Chris M.

Rank 0

Traveler I

Nv.

Thanks again for the info. I use CyberLink PhotoDirector. It's very similar to LR and PS. I've tried my hand at layering and you're right, it takes practice practice and a bit more practice.

You should enter one of your shots for the new header image on the OB West Facebook page. :sunglasses:
that would be cool I’ll check that out, thanks.

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Hey I see you live Verdi. I fly fish the truckee river a lot. I’ve only been out to pyramid 1 time but hopefully can spend some more time out there this year. I usually fish from the hershire bridge down to Verdi.
I do at that... I see folk fishing all the time along the river at both ends of Verdi. Well not so much in the winter.

Chris M.

Rank 0

Traveler I

Nv.
View attachment 50338 So @Chris M. , I tried my hand at a layered photo. Please Critique.
I layered my Full eclipse pic on a Black Rock Desert shot (which I turned to B&W).
View attachment 50338
I really like this photo, I would say if I where editing this I’d try and pull a little more light out of the shadows in the mountains to show some more separation between the mountain top and the dark eclipse sky.

I’m super jealous as I was working and didn’t get to go out and get shot.

Great shot of such a cool astronomical event

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
I really like this photo, I would say if I where editing this I’d try and pull a little more light out of the shadows in the mountains to show some more separation between the mountain top and the dark eclipse sky.

I’m super jealous as I was working and didn’t get to go out and get shot.

Great shot of such a cool astronomical event
Thanks.... I was thinking the same... I attempted it a before but it kept lightening the sky... so now I'll try a gradient filter on the rocks before layering. Maybe that will do the trick...

theBROFESSOR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Conway, Arkansas
Member #

Montana 2015

Lima Reservoir - rolled in late due to flat tire fix back in town - just looking for any spot. Ended up being one of the favorites.
View attachment 28382

Ruby River as seen from Bloody Dick Road (Hemorrhaging Richard?)
View attachment 28383

One end of Bloody Dick Road - I believe this was right next to Jackson Hot Springs. I have GPS data - drop me a message if interested in this great route.
View attachment 28384

Lima Reservoir - waaaaaaay down
View attachment 28385

Columbia River crossing Vantage WA area
View attachment 28386
Beautiful pics. Not sure I would want to hear the story about how "Bloody Dick Road" got its name though lol

Reactions: Ubiety

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
ALERT: I'm sad to say that Snowy McFrosty didn't make home last night. He was found today in a drunken frozen state. The defrost unit has been called... His wife Chilly was heard saying; "Snowy said he didn't need no rig to go Overlanding. Just a good bottle of Irish whiskey.

Snowy McFrosty.jpg