Nathan's Commander XK Build/Adventure Thread

• HTML tutorial

Nathan Gilmer

Rank II

Advocate II

Northglenn Co.
Member #

This is my expedition vehicle of choice. It is a 2007 Jeep Commander XK with the 4.7l V8 and QD-2 4-wheel drive system. I have a ton of modifications I still want to do to it. I want to turn it into a "go anywhere, be prepared for anything" expedition vehicle. I have made a lot of progress so far and this post is going to be a history of "Furiosa" up to this point.

This is what she looked like when I got her, bone stock but still kinda cool looking. I always liked the Commanders and thought they were a bit underrated. Jeep has a long history with full-size SUV's and I thought this fit in the lineup quite well.

We took our first camping trip with it after only owning it a couple of days and it did great.

Nathan Gilmer

Rank II

Advocate II

Northglenn Co.
Member #

I wasn't able to get an alignment after the lift do to some bad ball joints and I was stupid and waited way to long to fix them. I ended up wearing out the coopers in only a few months due to the bad alignment. I replaced them with some Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs of the same size and I have to say I like them so much better. They ride great, have excellent traction, and look really great too. I couldn't be happier with them.

I also blacked out the center section of the bumper. Plastidip is great is it not?

Nathan Gilmer

Rank II

Advocate II

Northglenn Co.
Member #

I picked up a large waterproof Pelican case at the Goodwill for $10. Can't beat that form some roof gear storage.

I also added some paracord to the grab handles and incorporated a holder for my little Ka-Bar knife in case I need it in a hurry, mainly if I need to cut out of my seatbelt in an emergency.

Nathan Gilmer

Rank II

Advocate II

Northglenn Co.
Member #

Well that is where she sits so far. In the near future, I plan to add a push bar, limb risers, LED lighting, a winch, a rear storage solution, rear spare tire carrier, upgraded roof rack with ladder, skid plates...and more. It will probably take me years to do everything but that is the fun of it. I will continue to enjoy what I have and keep building it into something greater.

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Cool rig, don't see a lot of Commanders getting modded but yours is awesome! I like the way it looks, I had Duratracs on my WJ and LOVED them. I am now running a Ohtsu tire which is the company that owns Falken, so they are close to the wild peaks in design. I like them but next time around I'll do Duratracs again.

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Very nice. Almost had my wife talked into a used Commander, but she decided she liked the look of the Grand Cherokee better. So, we ended up with that. I'd of rather had the Commander, but I have my Wrangler so we're good. I also run Duratracs on my Wrangler. They are awesome tires and have served me well for two years so far. They do great in all seasons. It'll take a lot to ever get me to purchase a different brand tire. I'm going to have to start shopping at Goodwill. I can't believe you got that Pelican for $10. That's awesome.

Nathan Gilmer

Rank II

Advocate II

Northglenn Co.
Member #

Cool rig, don't see a lot of Commanders getting modded but yours is awesome! I like the way it looks, I had Duratracs on my WJ and LOVED them. I am now running a Ohtsu tire which is the company that owns Falken, so they are close to the wild peaks in design. I like them but next time around I'll do Duratracs again.
Thanks man! I am starting to see more and more modified Commanders. I think they have reached that point in their life when the original owners are starting to let go of them and us off-road guys are starting to pick them up and have some fun with them.

I also love my "Dirty-Tracs". They are the second set I have owned. Nice and soft and quiet but great off road and amazing in snow as well.

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

Nice Commander! I always liked the looks of them because they were different than the other jeeps. Looks good without the chrome on it!

Sent from my iPhone using Overland Bound Talk

Rob GoVenture

Rank III

Advocate I

I really love the Commanders.
Modern interior, XJ exterior styling and SPACE for a family.

I've built up my $1,000 cherokee into a fairly decent and capable rig.

All in all I probably have $5000 total invested.

I've looked at Commanders here in San Antonio. $10,000 minimum for a decent one with 100,000 miles or so.
That's hard to swallow for a stock rig and then to have to start the build process all over again.

Maybe when my line of work picks up, I'll consider selling my XJ for an XK. I'd love to if I weren't so cheap.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Reactions: grover