Nathan's Commander XK Build/Adventure Thread

• HTML tutorial

Contributor III

Norway
Hi:blush:
I came across you thread while surfing for lift kits, I have a 2006 Commander CRD 3.0 Diesel. And I want to lift it, and fit bigger tires.
When you say you added a 3" Rough Country lift to your car, where did you get it?!
I went to the Rough Country web site, but the only thing they had for Commander was a 2" spacer lift :triumph:

Awesome rig BTW :wink:

Last edited:
Reactions: V3NKON

Jopina7807

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Clackamas, Clackamas County, Oregon, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
O
Member #

I'm sure he would have had to change the UCA's or his tire suspension wear would be accelerated. I wonder if he's still around and has the rig still, would be cool to see if he's updated it more. I have an 06 I'm just starting to make overland capable; planning on putting the lift in this weekend!

ElDusto

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Missoula County, Montana, United States
First Name
Dusty
Last Name
S.
Member #

I'm sure he would have had to change the UCA's or his tire suspension wear would be accelerated. I wonder if he's still around and has the rig still, would be cool to see if he's updated it more. I have an 06 I'm just starting to make overland capable; planning on putting the lift in this weekend!
he’s gonna want to change them if doing any hardcore stuff at all. I was medium wheeling/camping in red river gorge for a overnight and on sunday morning right before i headed out i decided to hit one more part of the Daniel Boone Backcountry loop...and i was creeping across this mud and i hear a pop and felt her slumped..i was FOkd.. adventure is risk☹ get some JBA uppers Arms..and go with Old man emu and /or bilstien...great products.

Attachments

Jopina7807

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

First Name
John
Last Name
O
Member #

OUCH!!!!! I'm going with the Bilstein 5100 shocks and struts with OME springs. The fronts are adjustable and I've heard some people needing a rear spacer to level out, and I've heard others don't. I love RRG...went to college in KY. I see your roof rack is not on factory cross bars, what do you use, if any?

Reactions: ElDusto

HattZ

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

redmond, wa
Member #

trying to do the same with an 06 commander - had some ideas for a lift, but interested in how he got his sorted out.

Jopina7807

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

First Name
John
Last Name
O
Member #

he’s gonna want to change them if doing any hardcore stuff at all. I was medium wheeling/camping in red river gorge for a overnight and on sunday morning right before i headed out i decided to hit one more part of the Daniel Boone Backcountry loop...and i was creeping across this mud and i hear a pop and felt her slumped..i was FOkd.. adventure is risk☹ get some JBA uppers Arms..and go with Old man emu and /or bilstien...great products.
That’s rough.

On a different note: what bumpers do you have?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

ElDusto

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Dusty
Last Name
S.
Member #

OUCH!!!!! I'm going with the Bilstein 5100 shocks and struts with OME springs. The fronts are adjustable and I've heard some people needing a rear spacer to level out, and I've heard others don't. I love RRG...went to college in KY. I see your roof rack is not on factory cross bars, what do you use, if any?
i rigged up the factory ones first. then later converted some of the brackets from my smittybuilt basket

Jopina7807

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

First Name
John
Last Name
O
Member #

I have a 2" lift on my 06 Commander and currently have stock tires: 245...lol

I cannot afford a whole set of brand new tires so I've been scouring the web for a few days. Found a good deal on separate sets of tires...

1) Wrangler SR-A's with only 500 miles $250 255/75/17
2) 265/70r17 Dunlop AT20's, 5k miles, $300 (no rims)
3) Cooper Discoverer A/T 3, 7k miles, $350 265/70/17
4) Bridgestone Dueler AT, 200 Miles, $400 (JK Sahara rims) 32's
5) Yokohama Geolander AT-S, 10k miles, $375 265/70/17

I know it's a lot of options...lol...but with these options, which would be the best choice? I should note the Commander is not driven that often, probably 500 miles a month, if that, and will do a fair mix of on/off road.

Any advice would be GREAT!

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

ElDusto

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Dusty
Last Name
S.
Member #

I have a 2" lift on my 06 Commander and currently have stock tires: 245...lol

I cannot afford a whole set of brand new tires so I've been scouring the web for a few days. Found a good deal on separate sets of tires...

1) Wrangler SR-A's with only 500 miles $250 255/75/17
2) 265/70r17 Dunlop AT20's, 5k miles, $300 (no rims)
3) Cooper Discoverer A/T 3, 7k miles, $350 265/70/17
4) Bridgestone Dueler AT, 200 Miles, $400 (JK Sahara rims) 32's
5) Yokohama Geolander AT-S, 10k miles, $375 265/70/17

I know it's a lot of options...lol...but with these options, which would be the best choice? I should note the Commander is not driven that often, probably 500 miles a month, if that, and will do a fair mix of on/off road.

Any advice would be GREAT!

Thank you

FALken Wild Peak A/T....best tire for the money hands down...they converted me from a 20ish year relationship with BFG

Andy G

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Cannonsburg, MI
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Grow
Member #

The Commander has recently been added to my short list of vehicles along with the Toyota Sequoia, Land Cruiser, and Grand Cherokee. Seeing quite a few of them for sale on CL in my area.

Any big issues with it? It's not gonna be my daily driver, so that gives me some flexibility.

luchaDor

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pioneer II

Urbandale, IA 50323, USA
First Name
Doran
Last Name
Else
Member #

Basically, the newer the model the better the reliability. Hemi had upgrades in the 09-10 model years. I would only buy those years with QuadraDrive II if I were shopping for one. 08+ 4.7L had similar updates, like 70 hp upgrades. Mine is the 08 with the 4.7L, engine has been solid. I just had to have the valve cover gaskets replaced and some maintenance after 150k trouble free miles. Mine has been excellent.

Reactions: Andy G