Nashville, Tennessee

• HTML tutorial

Dave_brez

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Antioch, TN
Member #

Mud fest indeed! Rain turned to mud turned to ice....but it was epic. Next year we get a group from Nashville to go together...camping was a blast.
I love the idea of a group going up together from Nashville. We should definitely represent together so we can get a bigger presence here in mid TN. I wouldn’t mind a few more off-road/fabrication companies growing here in the south.

Bummed I couldn’t go, but it looks like it was a great time!

Theo

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Nashville
Member #

I met up with Tyler out there and we had a good time. Wet and muddy but but a lot of fun. Tyler could give you more details about the trails, it was my first time at LBL. I'd really like to get up there again soon.

JetMechPilot

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Franklin, TN
Hey guys. I'm trying to plan the first time out with the family on a little excursion. I was looking at LBL. I want to keep the wife interested, so I was wondering if there are any "scenic" areas she might like. I obviously want to do a little bit of off road stuff, nothing major, but I need to keep her involved as well and that may entail checking out a lake or overlook or bald or something. Any help is appreciated.

Also, are the only off road trails in the Turkey Bay OHV, or are there other gravel / dirt roads throughout LBL?

Thanks everyone.

AreWeThereYet

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Hendersonville, TN
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
K
Hey guys. I'm trying to plan the first time out with the family on a little excursion. I was looking at LBL. I want to keep the wife interested, so I was wondering if there are any "scenic" areas she might like. I obviously want to do a little bit of off road stuff, nothing major, but I need to keep her involved as well and that may entail checking out a lake or overlook or bald or something. Any help is appreciated.

Also, are the only off road trails in the Turkey Bay OHV, or are there other gravel / dirt roads throughout LBL?

Thanks everyone.
Most of LBL is pretty scenic, and there’s plenty of light off-roading outside of turkey bay.
The 100 level roads are paved, the 200 roads are mostly maintained gravel, and the 300 level roads are dirt and not really maintained. You should be able to buy a map at the welcome office. There’s some things to do and plenty of lake views, bison, and usually some other wildlife.
Some of the 300 level roads are really rutted out and muddy so be careful, the map kind of shades those roads.

https://www.landbetweenthelakes.us/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Land-Between-The-Lakes-Timber-Treatments.pdf

This is the interactive map, that shows a little more detail.
https://www.fs.fed.us/ivm/

Last edited:

JetMechPilot

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Franklin, TN
Most of LBL is pretty scenic, and there’s plenty of light off-roading outside of turkey bay.
The 100 level roads are paved, the 200 roads are mostly maintained gravel, and the 300 level roads are dirt and not really maintained. You should be able to buy a map at the welcome office. There’s some things to do and plenty of lake views, bison, and usually some other wildlife.
Some of the 300 level roads are really rutted out and muddy so be careful, the map kind of shades those roads.

https://www.landbetweenthelakes.us/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Land-Between-The-Lakes-Timber-Treatments.pdf

This is the interactive map, that shows a little more detail.
https://www.fs.fed.us/ivm/
Thanks for the tips! I’ll need to plan this soon then. Are the 300 series roads easy to get stuck on? If dry, would they be pretty easily passible with 33” ATs?

Elblanco chingon

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Murray Ky
Member #

I live near lbl...some 300 roads are impassable unless you're in a very capable off road vehicle...my rubicon with 35's has needed the winch many times...just dont assume mud holes have a bottom just cause they aren't very big...there's usually a bypass . That said there are MANY easy roads to enjoy in lbl. Check out energy lake camground(closed for season now) it's small and in the woods and hills...pretty cool (for a campground)

Reactions: AreWeThereYet

Tyler.W

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Spring Hill, TN
Member #

Theo and I went up two weeks ago and had a good time. We hit a handful of the 300 level roads in the southwestern part of the park. We didn't hit anything too bad but there we're some ruts and real slick/deep mud in spots. If you are heading out alone make sure you have recovery gear or turn back if it looks questionable. Also, nearly all trails are out and back. We found a sweet spot at the end of trail 392 that is right on the water.

Reactions: Jose and Theo

Dave_brez

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Antioch, TN
Member #

Theo and I went up two weeks ago and had a good time. We hit a handful of the 300 level roads in the southwestern part of the park. We didn't hit anything too bad but there we're some ruts and real slick/deep mud in spots. If you are heading out alone make sure you have recovery gear or turn back if it looks questionable. Also, nearly all trails are out and back. We found a sweet spot at the end of trail 392 that is right on the water.
I second recovery gear and it’s not a bad idea to have another capable vehicle present. If you don’t have a winch, a come along cable puller is a great/cheap way to start. I’d say 4wd and “picking the right line” is going to be more important than tire size. I’ve seen stock vehicles tackle some pretty sticky trails out there. Just be smart and if your not sure get out and walk it before you drive through.

Also, (just to manage expectations) you can expect some pin striping too.

:)

Reactions: Theo and EisenYota