Nantahala National Forest/ Great Smoky Mountains State Park?

• HTML tutorial

killallninjas

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Atlanta, GA
Member #

What are some of your favorite spots for camping in the Nantahala/Great Smokey Mountains area? Primitive is good. I'm not opposed to a campground that has relatively private spots, either.
Another thought would be an overland type route for 3 days/2 nights.
Ideas?

killallninjas

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Atlanta, GA
Member #

Hoping to find some good suggestions on this thread. I'm in Greenville, SC. There is a little trail here but it's usually a drive to North Georgia.
Current plan is to camp at Lake Santeetlah outside Robbinsville, SC. There are scattered primitive sites around the lake. Looks like some service roads and possible trails pretty close. If nothing else, we'll take in some scenery on the Cherohala Skyway.

Reactions: Road

Ncmtnlight

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Robbinsville, NC 28771
Member #

Great forest service roads in the area. You may want to try FS 81 along Santeetlah creek. Located near Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest this gravel FS road travels along Santeetlah creek for about 15 miles or so. Plenty of open backcountry sites available and lots of road to drive and explore. You can also cross over the mountains into TN along this road and end up along the North River and Tellico in TN, also some great spots here. There are some sites near Lake Santeetlah - Carver Cemetery/Long Hungry road offer the best sites also along a FS road. Let me know if I can help you in anyway, I live here in the southern Nantahala and am very familiar with the area
Good luck and enjoy!

killallninjas

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Atlanta, GA
Member #

Awesome info. Our plan is actually to look for a site on Lake Santeetlah! I was wondering about the roads you mentioned, so it's great to hear they are good options. Thanks!

Kaioken

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Jacksonville, FL, USA
First Name
Jay
Last Name
Casiano
Member #

Awesome. So I plan om getting a log cabin in Tennessee. Would like to explore tye Smoky Mountains while I am at it. Especially some traila. Any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G935P using OB Talk mobile app

will liebel

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dahlonega
Member #

I have a good spot right near the put in form NOC in the nantahala gorge

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

will liebel

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dahlonega
Member #

It's a really good spot, right along the nantahala river. So if you're headed north on HWY 74 Wayah road will be on your right just past Nantahala rafting, once you turn right on Wayah RD follow it for several miles until you reach the fork with Wayah road and old river road, continue right on Old river Road, about 2-3 miles down you'll start to find camping spots right next to the river! free too!

Reactions: GoliathF350

Kaioken

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Jacksonville, FL, USA
First Name
Jay
Last Name
Casiano
Member #

It's a really good spot, right along the nantahala river. So if you're headed north on HWY 74 Wayah road will be on your right just past Nantahala rafting, once you turn right on Wayah RD follow it for several miles until you reach the fork with Wayah road and old river road, continue right on Old river Road, about 2-3 miles down you'll start to find camping spots right next to the river! free too!

Thanks, ill try to give it a look!

Sent from my SM-G935P using OB Talk mobile app