My DIY rear tire/fuel carrier using stock bumper

• HTML tutorial

Edward Gentle

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Huntsville Al
Member #

That is a very nice set up and I like it a lot. I've really been wondering what I was going to do on the back of my truck and this really gives me some ideas. Thanks for posting about it.

Reactions: TheAdventurousMind

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I am going to have the same camera problem also soon. I am hoping to find a way to extend and relocate the stock camera.

I also have the issue of the rear sensors. When I have the tire carrier installed it will interfere. I need to figure out if its possible to block or shield one of the sensors so that the tire wont set it off.

TheAdventurousMind

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Yorba Linda, CA
Member #

I am going to have the same camera problem also soon. I am hoping to find a way to extend and relocate the stock camera.

I also have the issue of the rear sensors. When I have the tire carrier installed it will interfere. I need to figure out if its possible to block or shield one of the sensors so that the tire wont set it off.
Haha that's part of the reason why I wanted the bare bones 4WD. Electronics always seem to complicate things.

Reactions: Rocky

Mike W

Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

Haha that's part of the reason why I wanted the bare bones 4WD. Electronics always seem to complicate things.
I somewhat agree, but it's a modern Rover.. it has its share of toys on it. I opted not to get the even more complex surround view cameras and such, but all HSE LUX package LR4 have rear view cameras and sensors. I love the camera for hitching my boat, plus the air suspension, I can put the ball into the hitch without getting out of my vehicle! The tow hitch is also removable with a slick insert/pin/locking mechanism, so it isn't even on the bumper at all unless I need it... keeps it out of the way and never slams into the ground.

I plan to take the swing arms (at least the dual jerry arm) off when I don't intend to use it, then the camera will work fine. And the rear sensors will work fine with the tire underneath. I wont need the dual swings all the time, just on trips. That is why I got a bumper that still has the sensor mounts in it.

crit_pw

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Silt, Colorado
Member #

Many days and I finally finished my v1.0 of my rear carrier set up. I did this on my 4Runner, but it can apply to most any vehicle. I have many ask me about it, so I made a video! I still want to make some improvements, but that will be for v1.1 :sunglasses:

Let me know what you think!

Great build now my brain is in overdrive all over again on making a dual swingout for my truck. Great work!!

Mike W

Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I guess I got lucky on this... or maybe they designed it like this... but I am able to still use my rear camera to hitch the boat with the swings on... And am able to open the swings with the trailer on. Two nice surprises!

Reactions: Rocky and Jimmy P

khorsa

Rank III

Advocate II

michigan
Great video and great work. Has me inspired to do something for my TJ, I hate throwing hundreds of dollars at something that I could make myself.

Rocky

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Loveland, Colorado
Member #

Nice job, I like that that you made it your self and it looks like one you could buy of the shelf.

Last edited:

Gary Bzzz

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Boulder, CO
Member #

Many days and I finally finished my v1.0 of my rear carrier set up. I did this on my 4Runner, but it can apply to most any vehicle. I have many ask me about it, so I made a video! I still want to make some improvements, but that will be for v1.1 :sunglasses:

really like what you've done - thinking about doing something very similar.

Brandon Harvey

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Oregon
Member #

this is great, curious about the total cost as Wilco offroad has a similar product that connects to the hitch.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Nice work. Just a heads up....you might want to get a signed liability release when you sell them. If the vehicle gets rear ended, it may rupture a gas can and you wouldn't want to get sued. You know how people are these days.

TheAdventurousMind

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Yorba Linda, CA
Member #

Nice work. Just a heads up....you might want to get a signed liability release when you sell them. If the vehicle gets rear ended, it may rupture a gas can and you wouldn't want to get sued. You know how people are these days.
Honestly... I probably won’t. This being one big reason. And it’s also not something I see myself being passionate about. I’m building a brand for other things, and this doesn’t fall within where I see my direction going.

Hopefully the video does inspire some, or show some things that can help people along their own builds.

TheAdventurousMind

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Yorba Linda, CA
Member #

this is great, curious about the total cost as Wilco offroad has a similar product that connects to the hitch.
I’ll have to look at the cost break down. The little things add up. But I wanted more stability and clearance than the Wilco set up. They make great products, just wasn’t what I was looking for. I debated buying it at first.

Reactions: Brandon Harvey