Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Daly City, California, USA
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Garza
Member #

Ok guys never thought my first accident would "Not be my Fault". This Past Friday the 3rd, a lady took a left with out looking and I tried stopping in time, but since I drive a Landtank, (fj80) there was just not enough time. Good thing that 99.00 dollar Costco Dashcam caught it all! I guess it finally paid for itself.

heres the vid..

https://youtu.be/ZCayufqojLcIMG_9226.JPG IMG_9227.JPG IMG_9237.JPG IMG_9239.JPG IMG_9240.JPG IMG_9241.JPG

You can see she didn't even see me at all. No turn signal, Not looking and didn't even wait before turning.

Anyways After, the Landtank totaled her car LOL , I drove home to really look at what damage I had. After reviewing the Video several times I noticed that the bull bar dosen't even move maybe a 1/4 of and inch. From the mounting bolts it can see that about 1/2 inch back in to the Frame. I was more Sad than anything , knowing it docent even have a year on the rig, but, happy that the ARB bumper did its job and saved the whole front end of the Land Cruiser, a couple misalignments and some scratches but, My steering and alignment feels good, no clunks, no abnormal noises. You can see from the pictures and the lower portion of the bumper is the worst part and middle section that is mostly not used but I'm bummed about where the fairlead would mount to the left side is significantly bent downward and I really think I could fix it. I need some feed back, any ideas on how I should go about this? Should I remove the bumper to try to heat it up and then bend or leave it on the rig and maybe use and shop rack at work to lift on that fairlead corner once have the metal heated up enough ? do you guys think it will work? Im not too experienced with heavy duty metal fab work and its something I lack but would love to learn. Anyone willing to teach me or help? maybe using a tree strap and snatch block to help bend or pull back to shape/ on our next ride with Overlandbound crew ? for the middle section? Ill provide the beers. or maybe you guys can come up with some better ideas. Either way I'm happy she's still alive and still trekking.

Any ideas or feedback is welcomed thanks guys and enjoy the pictures. and hope u check out the link for the vid.

Last edited:

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

Have her insurance buy you a new bumper.

I just went through insurance and got my front bumper replaced (I was at fault... ice/bridge/partially seized brake caliper/perfect storm)
This ^

It's obviously her fault, and her insurance should replace it for you.

On another note, I love that the first reaction is to flip the bird. He must not have realized that he needs to talk to you after the accident.

picklejuice

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Bay Area, CA
Member #

This ^

It's obviously her fault, and her insurance should replace it for you.

On another note, I love that the first reaction is to flip the bird. He must not have realized that he needs to talk to you after the accident.
Yeah, I totally agree. Flipping the bird to a total stranger is pretty irresponsible. For all they know, you could have been some deranged lunatic. And yes, it was totally their fault, as you have the right-of-way. Glad you and your vehicle are safe. And good thing you got it all on video!

murps

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
d
Last Name
m
Member #

Like others have mentioned. Make her buy you a new one and maybe sell your current one as used? I'm sure someone would give you something for it?
As for flipping the bird....best way to start negotiations, especially when being filmed.

fj80cruiserlife

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Garza
Member #

Have her insurance buy you a new bumper.

I just went through insurance and got my front bumper replaced (I was at fault... ice/bridge/partially seized brake caliper/perfect storm)

oh ya I for got to mention guys that she took full liability for the the damages and adjuster came out and inspected he thought it wasn't that bad , wrote me a check for 2200$ which includes the bumper and a little something for the trouble. I could go the other route and get and full estimate from a body shop near me that does great work but I rather have no one but me touch the rig.

fj80cruiserlife

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Garza
Member #

I bet you could sell that bumper on THIS site real fast!!
ya I was thinking of buying a bumper new from ARB again then what making the money back selling this one.. but with me going through so much in my life at this time I don't have the space to remove and store the bumper once the new ones on there..

picklejuice

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Bay Area, CA
Member #

oh ya I for got to mention guys that she took full liability for the the damages and adjuster came out and inspected he thought it wasn't that bad , wrote me a check for 2200$ which includes the bumper and a little something for the trouble. I could go the other route and get and full estimate from a body shop near me that does great work but I rather have no one but me touch the rig.
Awesome!! I say try to work with the bumper if you can. That way you can spend it on other goodies. Looks like it kept most of its structural integrity.

fj80cruiserlife

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Garza
Member #

Update >><<<< I got the bumper fixed today. I have a friend that works at the bodyshop that we use at the dealership, he bent back the fairlead section for me in 5 min I was like in aww! Literally he took it the the back bright it to be in 5 min I couldn't believe it.

He told me to come back next week, for the bottom portion of the bumper, since the stated that that part was a thicker part metal in the bumper and he would have to adjust that on jig for bending out frames. The best part is when I asked him how much I owe him for the fix, he looked at me and said Jess you always take care of me, you owe me nothing !!! :laughing:woohooo.. pictures to come.. stay tuned.

Last edited: