Danan
Last Name
Coleman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3AWD
Service Branch
CERT
Not sure if this is the right section to ask this question in, but I'm looking for mountain bike suggestions. I'd like to have a mountain bike I can take with me on trips and ride some trails. Most of my extra money right now is going to finishing (ha, never will be finished) my Jeep. Would I be ok with a bike from Walmart? Or do I really need to spend the money on a Trek, Gary Fisher, etc. I'm sure I'll ride this bike at home as well, but I just don't want to spend a bunch of money. Maybe down the road, but not yet. Thanks for your thoughts.
I've got a Redline hard tail and a Fuji full suspension. I like both and neither have broken down and I've done some pretty rough stuff with them. Redline was $700, Fuji was $2100. Kona I've been told is also an excellent brand and is using some really good hardware, even in their middle-end models

Reactions: RiverCityDave

RiverCityDave

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Austin, Texas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Hunter
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Same for Salsa. You'd have a hard time topping the Spear Fish and the Horse Thief. The Spear Fish is my current favorite all day mountain bike.

Reactions: AdventureWithDanan

vagabondexpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

various
Member #

Glad I stumbled upon this thread here!

I like to bring the Scott Genius 740 with me when I can.

VagabondExpedition Jeep - Somewhere in Northern Ontario at Sunset
by e j, on Flickr

It was an expensive purchase - but then, I did get a good deal on it as it was a 2016 model, purchased earlier this year.

I haven't really ridden in years - and never anything too extreme - so I consider myself an old guy just learning to ride again.

I post a few of my MTB 'misadventures' up on YouTube too:

Glad I stumbled upon this thread here!

I like to bring the Scott Genius 740 with me when I can.

VagabondExpedition Jeep - Somewhere in Northern Ontario at Sunset
by e j, on Flickr

It was an expensive purchase - but then, I did get a good deal on it as it was a 2016 model, purchased earlier this year.

I haven't really ridden in years - and never anything too extreme - so I consider myself an old guy just learning to ride again.

I post a few of my MTB 'misadventures' up on YouTube too:

Are you by any chance in Southern California? Great looking setup! You should check out Yakima Dr Tray bike rack.

Reactions: French

vagabondexpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

various
Member #

Are you by any chance in Southern California? Great looking setup! You should check out Yakima Dr Tray bike rack.
Thanks! I'm in Vancouver now... contemplating a run to CA in a couple of weeks, but sadly just for a couple of weeks (and likely leaving the bike in Vancouver during this trip). I'll have to look up that rack for sure and see if anyone in Canada is selling it yet and try a 'test fit' to see how it'll work!

Thanks! I'm in Vancouver now... contemplating a run to CA in a couple of weeks, but sadly just for a couple of weeks (and likely leaving the bike in Vancouver during this trip). I'll have to look up that rack for sure and see if anyone in Canada is selling it yet and try a 'test fit' to see how it'll work!
You can check it out on my jeep

Instagram.com/TrailOpsJK.

Jackalope Dave

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Didn't make it through the whole thread yet, so not sure if anyone else has mentioned this already, but you could look for a "Cyclocross" bike. Basically a road frame with bit wider offload tires. Good to ride basically anywhere! :-)
I was thinking the same thing. I primarily use my cyclocross bike for commuting but the big cushy tires means I can take the long way home and grind some gravel if I'm feeling adventurous. They're a great jack-of-all-trades option.