Mountain biking

• HTML tutorial

Terex

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Taos, NM
I selected 1UP bike racks for the top of the bed rack on our ZR2. Working great so far. Access is a bit of a PITA but they're out of the way when we're pulling our trailer.M9VzpUETTjyulbHMy9QGHg.jpg

Reactions: French

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

I selected 1UP bike racks for the top of the bed rack on our ZR2. Working great so far. Access is a bit of a PITA but they're out of the way when we're pulling our trailer.
That's the manufacturer I'm looking at for a hitch rack for myself.

Terex

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Taos, NM
I've had a Thule T2 for a number of years and its very robust. Both my Parlee road bike with skinny carbon fiber rims and the 3" tires on this bike both fit (barely). My buddy has a Kuat which is lighter and more expensive. The build quality and simplicity of the 1UP is superb. I haven't mounted my road bike on it yet, but I'm sure it will be held securely and without damage to the bike.

Last edited:

Cyclosaur

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Stevens Point, WI
Member #

Just bought the North Shore Racks NSR-4. Should be shipping today, I'll follow up when it arrives. Main selling points were its ease of loading, and the bikes dont touch each other, so it should be perfect for those shuttle days.

Titan Tom

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Los Angeles
Member #

Id be careful with building a bike unless you get the frame dirt cheap cuz quality components add up real quick. definitely stay away from stores like walmart. a Good used MTB is 100xs better still.

Musubie

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Los Angeles
22728C43-78FA-4F9F-8BCE-0DE01DE6CB38.jpeg I really used to be into cycling , and one look at my mtb will take you back to the 90s, what with its ‘old’ geometry and 26” wheels, straight-gauge 4130 chromoly tubing, and that fluorescent yellow. It’s a classic Southern California Yeti Ultimate (waaaay before they went carbon fiber and moved to CO. But mine was welded by FTW himself!)

Very eclectic build. I must be one of the only ones around running a Campagnolo off-road drivetrain Using old Speedplay Frogs and Magura HS-33 rim brakes. I’d say it could still embarrass posers with 160mm travel 29ers, but these days my bike seems to be lacking in the engine department.

Gary Stevens

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reseda California
Member #

View attachment 58155 I really used to be into cycling , and one look at my mtb will take you back to the 90s, what with its ‘old’ geometry and 26” wheels, straight-gauge 4130 chromoly tubing, and that fluorescent yellow. It’s a classic Southern California Yeti Ultimate (waaaay before they went carbon fiber and moved to CO. But mine was welded by FTW himself!)

Very eclectic build. I must be one of the only ones around running a Campagnolo off-road drivetrain Using old Speedplay Frogs and Magura HS-33 rim brakes. I’d say it could still embarrass posers with 160mm travel 29ers, but these days my bike seems to be lacking in the engine department.
This bike, the full suspension Manitou and the fat tube Klien with the one piece stem bar were the hot want to have bikes of their time. I was there, the lust was there, everyone wanted one of these.

Reactions: sabjku

Musubie

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Los Angeles
This bike, the full suspension Manitou and the fat tube Klien with the one piece stem bar were the hot want to have bikes of their time. I was there, the lust was there, everyone wanted one of these.
‘Lust’ is the exact word to use. For me it was this or Richard Cunnihgham’s Mantis Valkyrie, with its Maserati Birdcage-like tubular steel skeleton frame.

I actually got into 4x4s through mountain biking.

Gary Stevens

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reseda California
Member #

‘Lust’ is the exact word to use. For me it was this or Richard Cunnihgham’s Mantis Valkyrie, with its Maserati Birdcage-like tubular steel skeleton frame.

I actually got into 4x4s through mountain biking.
Oh my, I forgot that one, soon after that came out I went and got a nishiki alien mountain bike with the same elvated chain stays, what a trip down memory lane.

Back to the 21th century my new ride I just got is a Santa Cruz Hightower 27.5 plus. Way big fun.

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

Reactions: 200LC

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

If you haven't already, yes, a separate thread about camping destinations specifically taken with biking in mind would be a wonderful addition to the forums.

I suggest it be started here in the Overland Related Recreation forum, but with the title Mountain Biking Destinations and that the first post describe clearly that it's a thread not so much about which bikes we have, but about trips and locations we've been to that were undertaken more specifically with mountain biking in mind, and a place to ask questions about biking destinations.

If there is enough interest and life in the thread, I'll suggest to the powers that be that there be a separate place for biking threads, so we can have threads about typical maintenance issues, sourcing parts, lighting and other accessories, etc.

Though not a straight mountain bike, and probably poo-pooed by some purists, I keep my Sondors 7-speed fat-tire mountain bike with me everywhere I go. I get out riding now, and get more real exercise and activity outside my vehicle, than I ever have before. I use it for scouting trails to be sure I can get my van back in there, I use it for running errands once set up in camp, I use it for back-up transportation in case my wheels break down, and I use it for pure enjoyment and just riding.

I LOVE my bike and have found it to be just the rugged beast I need for loading, unloading, and banging around town or backcountry roads.

I'll gladly be part of any thread started on Mountain Biking Destinations. Let me know if you need any help.

Road

View attachment 50944

Above and below: Out in the borderlands of west Texas/Mexico

View attachment 50945

View attachment 50946

Above and below: Old way of hauling my bike; working on new van interior setup this winter. Looks like my headlight is on, but it's just reflecting the flash from my phone camera.

View attachment 50947
Those Sondors were fantastic Kickstarter deals!

Your post says it all about ebikes. They get so many more people outdoors, exercising, and enjoying life. And you do get exercise since you have to pedal them.

We have bike shops in the DC area so it’s great to hear people experiencing cycling again through ebikes.

Kyle & Kari Frink

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

San Diego, California
Member #

Not sure if this is the right section to ask this question in, but I'm looking for mountain bike suggestions. I'd like to have a mountain bike I can take with me on trips and ride some trails. Most of my extra money right now is going to finishing (ha, never will be finished) my Jeep. Would I be ok with a bike from Walmart? Or do I really need to spend the money on a Trek, Gary Fisher, etc. I'm sure I'll ride this bike at home as well, but I just don't want to spend a bunch of money. Maybe down the road, but not yet. Thanks for your thoughts.
I think my opinion is biased but I have a 2015 Trek Marlin 7 that I use all the time and I love it. However am looking to upgrade to a Full Trail(front and rear shocks) since the Marlin 7 is a Hard Trail (front fork shocks only) since I use it to ride to work as well I can maintain higher speeds were the Full Trail you loose that because of the rear shock. However because of how much Downhill riding through canyons I have been doing I would like to upgrade. I will say spend a little more money to ensure you get a quality product. Mainly when it comes to brakes, those dingy rubber clamp brakes wont do you good when you are flying downhill constantly hitting your brakes. Whereas Hydraulic disk brakes will be a life saver I can attest to that lol.

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
I ended up with a Giant Trance and a Stance for my son. While they are expensive what you’ll find is there are very few bike manufacturers in the world. There are thousands of brands, but the MAJORITY of mainstream bicycles are made in Giant facilities. So for a more affordable full featured bike Giant gives you more bang for your buck. I lock out my rear shock all the time for street riding or flats, but you can’t beat full suspension. A trail bike would probably suit 95% of your needs based on description. 419FE6CA-7154-4DAC-8281-609C99C45DE3.jpeg5FF65D96-97FE-4BF1-A342-3704DC1ACF81.jpeg

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

I think my opinion is biased but I have a 2015 Trek Marlin 7 that I use all the time and I love it. However am looking to upgrade to a Full Trail(front and rear shocks) since the Marlin 7 is a Hard Trail (front fork shocks only) since I use it to ride to work as well I can maintain higher speeds were the Full Trail you loose that because of the rear shock. However because of how much Downhill riding through canyons I have been doing I would like to upgrade. I will say spend a little more money to ensure you get a quality product. Mainly when it comes to brakes, those dingy rubber clamp brakes wont do you good when you are flying downhill constantly hitting your brakes. Whereas Hydraulic disk brakes will be a life saver I can attest to that lol.
I've been in the bike industry for about 25 years, and Kyle & Kari basically hit the nail on the head. There's a massive difference in quality between what the mass merchants(Wal-Mart, Target, etc) and an independently owned bike shop will offer. In a bike shop, you'll find the brands that you mentioned-Trek, Specialized, Giant, etc.(Gary Fisher was a sub brand of Trek, but doesn't exist any longer). These bikes are built to much higher standards of quality, and they're assembled by trained bicycle mechanics, not just a part-time hourly employee with no training. There's a huge difference in safety between the two. Don't get me wrong, department store bikes exist for a reason, but I would never consider riding one on real dirt, mountain bike'ish type of terrain-they will not hold up.

There's also no support on a bike sale at a department store, where a bike shop will generally offer some sort of maintenance package, warranty, etc. They also do not come in wide variety of sizes at a mass merchant, so you won't get a bike that actually fits you. People come in a vast array of heights and sizes, so bikes should as well. You'll get properly fit through a bike shop, and ride out on a bike for you.

My suggestion - save up as much as you can and buy the bike that's going to offer you a comfortable, safe, enjoyable ride. Something else to remember, every major bike manufacturer makes bikes in all price ranges, starting at about $350 for an adult mountain bike, up to however many thousands of dollars you want to spend-the sky really is the limit!:) My point - all the manufacturers use components from the same suppliers, for the most part, to hit each of these price points. There's some exceptions to this, such as Trek-they manufacture a lot of their own components(wheels, tires, handlebars, etc-Trek is the largest bike brand in the world) Go with a major brand from an independently owned shop, and you'll be happy!

Reactions: Kyle & Kari Frink

Gary Stevens

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reseda California
Member #

I've been in the bike industry for about 25 years, and Kyle & Kari basically hit the nail on the head. There's a massive difference in quality between what the mass merchants(Wal-Mart, Target, etc) and an independently owned bike shop will offer. In a bike shop, you'll find the brands that you mentioned-Trek, Specialized, Giant, etc.(Gary Fisher was a sub brand of Trek, but doesn't exist any longer). These bikes are built to much higher standards of quality, and they're assembled by trained bicycle mechanics, not just a part-time hourly employee with no training. There's a huge difference in safety between the two. Don't get me wrong, department store bikes exist for a reason, but I would never consider riding one on real dirt, mountain bike'ish type of terrain-they will not hold up.

There's also no support on a bike sale at a department store, where a bike shop will generally offer some sort of maintenance package, warranty, etc. They also do not come in wide variety of sizes at a mass merchant, so you won't get a bike that actually fits you. People come in a vast array of heights and sizes, so bikes should as well. You'll get properly fit through a bike shop, and ride out on a bike for you.

My suggestion - save up as much as you can and buy the bike that's going to offer you a comfortable, safe, enjoyable ride. Something else to remember, every major bike manufacturer makes bikes in all price ranges, starting at about $350 for an adult mountain bike, up to however many thousands of dollars you want to spend-the sky really is the limit!:) My point - all the manufacturers use components from the same suppliers, for the most part, to hit each of these price points. There's some exceptions to this, such as Trek-they manufacture a lot of their own components(wheels, tires, handlebars, etc-Trek is the largest bike brand in the world) Go with a major brand from an independently owned shop, and you'll be happy!
Having first begun mountain biking in 1989 and still this being a passion today that takes to the trail two to three times a week, this well thought out post from sabjku is 100 percent correct and the way to go about this.