Caligirlnic

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Bend, OR, USA
First Name
Nicci
Last Name
miller
Like @Dana Ramos our trips will be based mostly on where we can camp and ride in Co, UT, NM, WY and SD. Most of this thread is about the bikes themselves. Is there any interest is having a thread geared towards your Overlanding trip locations that you biked at as well?? We just picked up our ITW Overland trailer yesterday and we are starting to plan trips from April thru October/November.

Dana Ramos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Alta, WY
First Name
Dana
Last Name
Ramos
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7EXK
Like @Dana Ramos our trips will be based mostly on where we can camp and ride in Co, UT, NM, WY and SD. Most of this thread is about the bikes themselves. Is there any interest is having a thread geared towards your Overlanding trip locations that you biked at as well?? We just picked up our ITW Overland trailer yesterday and we are starting to plan trips from April thru October/November.
Great idea! You can probably continue to use this thread but I agree, more destinations with details on off-grid camping, trails, etc, would be awesome.

Caligirlnic

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Bend, OR, USA
First Name
Nicci
Last Name
miller
Great idea! You can probably continue to use this thread but I agree, more destinations with details on off-grid camping, trails, etc, would be awesome.
Especially with our trailer types, no need to get stuck where it cant or shouldnt really go. I think the subject might get lost in this thread a bit. Maybe a different spot? Let me know what you think.

usmcjtac

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Yuma, AZ, USA
First Name
johnny
Last Name
pyles
Member #

I ride a Cannondale F5 Hardtail. Mostly cruise the Camp Lejeune trails when they aren't swamped in. Grew up racing BMX on my old PK Ripper (before it got stolen:(), then moved up to a Floval Flyer 24 Cruiser. I love being on my bike!

J100Roaming

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler III

Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Pfeiffer
Member #

I ride a Cannondale F5 Hardtail. Mostly cruise the Camp Lejeune trails when they aren't swamped in. Grew up racing BMX on my old PK Ripper (before it got stolen:(), then moved up to a Floval Flyer 24 Cruiser. I love being on my bike!
I also mountain bike. I don’t get to hit the trails on base anymore not being in so I generally end up going down to Blue Clay for miles. I have been to Henderson Pond a couple times now on Lejeune. I know a couple people who will meet me for a pass but I hate to inconvenience them for my biking.

If you ever want a riding partner here in Jax hit me up! I definitely need to put more miles on my Trek Fuel before I make another trip to Pisgah this year.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Caligirlnic

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Bend, OR, USA
First Name
Nicci
Last Name
miller
I also mountain bike. I don’t get to hit the trails on base anymore not being in so I generally end up going down to Blue Clay for miles. I have been to Henderson Pond a couple times now on Lejeune. I know a couple people who will meet me for a pass but I hate to inconvenience them for my biking.

If you ever want a riding partner here in Jax hit me up! I definitely need to put more miles on my Trek Fuel before I make another trip to Pisgah this year.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Its worth a day trip to Big Bear area in the summer!! Do you have MTB Project app? That will show you all the trails in Cali.

Traveler I

20180220_220012.jpg Nice pics. We are in Vegas and hit mostly XC and not much downhill. Both brakes went out within minutes of each other on the Cannondale Moto in the picture. Not sure how that happened. I did the fred Flintstone braking to make it back. Funny...

Last edited:

WalkingBear

Rank V

Pathfinder II

San Antonio, TX
First Name
Alfonso
Last Name
Landeros
Member #

Mountain biking and overlanding go hand on hand.....Colorado State Forest has 130 miles of mixed jeep and singletrack to get lost.....one of the best vacations I have taken!

Sent from my SM-G950U using OB Talk mobile app

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

I need to take both of mine in and have them go through it. Update some bits, and what not. Any recommendations for brakes for a larger fella running a 29er?

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Especially with our trailer types, no need to get stuck where it cant or shouldnt really go. I think the subject might get lost in this thread a bit. Maybe a different spot? Let me know what you think.
If you haven't already, yes, a separate thread about camping destinations specifically taken with biking in mind would be a wonderful addition to the forums.

I suggest it be started here in the Overland Related Recreation forum, but with the title Mountain Biking Destinations and that the first post describe clearly that it's a thread not so much about which bikes we have, but about trips and locations we've been to that were undertaken more specifically with mountain biking in mind, and a place to ask questions about biking destinations.

If there is enough interest and life in the thread, I'll suggest to the powers that be that there be a separate place for biking threads, so we can have threads about typical maintenance issues, sourcing parts, lighting and other accessories, etc.

Though not a straight mountain bike, and probably poo-pooed by some purists, I keep my Sondors 7-speed fat-tire mountain bike with me everywhere I go. I get out riding now, and get more real exercise and activity outside my vehicle, than I ever have before. I use it for scouting trails to be sure I can get my van back in there, I use it for running errands once set up in camp, I use it for back-up transportation in case my wheels break down, and I use it for pure enjoyment and just riding.

I LOVE my bike and have found it to be just the rugged beast I need for loading, unloading, and banging around town or backcountry roads.

I'll gladly be part of any thread started on Mountain Biking Destinations. Let me know if you need any help.

Road

roaddude_sondors_bigbend-0831.jpg

Above and below: Out in the borderlands of west Texas/Mexico

roaddude_van-xv2-sondors-readylights_bigbend-0804-900.jpg

Sondors-in-van.png

Above and below: Old way of hauling my bike; working on new van interior setup this winter. Looks like my headlight is on, but it's just reflecting the flash from my phone camera.

Sondors-in-van-back.png

Last edited:

WalkingBear

Rank V

Pathfinder II

San Antonio, TX
First Name
Alfonso
Last Name
Landeros
Member #

I need to take both of mine in and have them go through it. Update some bits, and what not. Any recommendations for brakes for a larger fella running a 29er?
Can't go wrong with shimano XTR or if you feeling like splurging money Maguro are top of the line.

Sent from my SM-G950U using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: toxicity_27

Terex

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Taos, NM
I've got a Trek 6Fattie now, but here's a neat picture of my trailer, my old Titus mtn. bike and its designer, Travis, who now runs a drone video business. The picture is from Overland Expo West, 2015, at Mormon Lake south of Flagstaff. My trailer was one of the exhibits at the VMI Offroad booth that year.

IMG_1731.JPG