• HTML tutorial

Corey

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Auburn, WA.
Member #

Not ashamed one bit to admit that I loved Stargate haha
That was one of my favorite Sci-Fi shows back then, too bad it had to end.
I have the two follow up movies they did after the series ended too.
Nice bikes everyone! @Corey I love that with the 29ers you can damn near roll over everything but for me I feel like it doesn't feel part of me like my 26" tires
Thanks!
I will have to demo a full suspension 29" one sometime and see how I like it.

Keylay

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Cypress, Texas
Member #

2007 Gary Fisher Wahoo
100mm Solo Air
Avid BB7
Chris King headset

I live in Houston so not much mountain, per say. I like to ride at Cypress Creek Mountain Bike Trails, Memorial Park, Terry Hershey and Huntsville. I don't ride as much as i used to, but i still enjoy it.

Pictured is me in my only Cat 3 race in 2010.

Blackwell

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler II

Peace River, Alberta
Member #

Can we possibly start a Fat Bike vs Mountain Bike debate in this thread?

I'm looking to buy a bike to bring with me on overlanding trips. I am fairly sold on Fat Bikes but I also like the full suspension 29ers. I have not been on a bike in years (at least seriously). Not sure which direction to lean. I also live in the Great White North - so winter riding on a fat bike would be a huge plus.

RiverCityDave

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Austin, Texas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Hunter
Member #

Service Branch
Army

2007 Gary Fisher Wahoo
100mm Solo Air
Avid BB7
Chris King headset

I live in Houston so not much mountain, per say. I like to ride at Cypress Creek Mountain Bike Trails, Memorial Park, Terry Hershey and Huntsville. I don't ride as much as i used to, but i still enjoy it.

Pictured is me in my only Cat 3 race in 2010.
I used to ride in Houston too, it is indeed NOT mountain biking, but a lot of fun. I rode every ride able inch of Memorial, Ant Hills, Jack brooks and the Huntsville National Forest. I guess Ant Hill is Terry Hershey now?
IMG_1867.JPG
Niner Air9 at Walnut Creek

I still ride almost every day, but I ride my cross bike more than my MTB these days. I've got a Niner Air9 (aluminum), a Kona Major Jake Cross bike, another Kona Jake the Snake that I use as a commuter, a Pinarello Galileo that was my old road race bike, and a Cervelo R3 that I use as a training bike. There are a few more scattered around the garage, theres a no name single speed cross bike, and a Redline BMX that I raced when i was about 13, that will eventually find its way to one of my kids. I'm very close to commissioning a full custom steel road bike from Tomii Cycles here in town, to be my roadie, and parting ways with the Cervelo.

cross.jpg.JPG
Kona Major Jake

Im sandwiched right between two great single track parks, and Ive got at least 5 others within a few miles, so I do ok. I havent raced in years, though I've been getting the itch lately...

0AE35B62-637A-499D-B09D-B85B167565EB.JPG
Niner Air9 at BLORA

I really enjoy riding with my Son as he's gotten big enough to ride a full size bike, it has somewhat changed the way I ride, and what I focus on. He has the occasional tendency to get in over his head chasing me, so I have had to keep that in mind when picking lines. His mom wouldnt be all too happy with another ER visit due to bikes. :)

IMG_3287.JPG
Jack at Walnut

I enjoy my road bikes too, but I really treat them as tools to stay fit enough to ride the cross and MTB well.

IMG_2751.JPG
Pinarello Galileo

Riding the bike is my therapy, I always try to talk myself out of riding, oh ill be sore, ill be tired, etc, but I ALWAYS feel better after a ride, almost any ride. Its among the top 4 or 5 most important things in my life.

IMG_2590.JPG
Niner

Last edited:

Chris Zawacki

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Leesburg, VA
Member #

Its probably been a good 12 years since Ive been out riding. I have an older Gary Fisher that I used to ride. Ive been wanting to get back into it and with all the new tech and terms Im a bit lost haha.

Reactions: RiverCityDave

RiverCityDave

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Austin, Texas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Hunter
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Its probably been a good 12 years since Ive been out riding. I have an older Gary Fisher that I used to ride. Ive been wanting to get back into it and with all the new tech and terms Im a bit lost haha.
Man its all still the same, just new widgets. In the end you point the front wheel toward dirt and mash your legs off.

Matt Hixson

Rank V

Member I

Big Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hixson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FZJ
I have a 2015 Specialized Enduro Carbon Expert 29". Love this bike, and yes, mountain biking and overlanding do go great together. Here are my wife's and my bikes in my Humvee trailer behind my '96 Hummer.
I primarily ride in northwest Washington State.

truck_and_trailer.png

Toyotadirtdevil

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Carmichael, California
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Nantz
Member #

I picked up this mongoose fat tire bike($250 bucks) and have made a few important upgrades.
Got rid of mechanical disc brakes to hydraulic.
Added a suspension seat post.
Added comfort grips.
Picked up a light off ebay and it was brighter than I expected.

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
Riding family here.

I ride a Transition Bandit or a custom Vulture hard tail. Here's are rig loaded with bikes!

Lots of riding in Reno/Tahoe. I rode the Carson City off Road race this spring and then have been pretty lazy since then.

-M

Livingthebuslife

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Eureka, CA
Member #

Great bikes guys!
I was into riding dirt jump bikes when I lived in Florida. It was a fun sport to do when it was too cold to wakeboard. :-)
Now that we have moved out west, I got back into mountain bikes and quickly realized that this elevation change thing is a totally different animal! lol Started with a Kona Coiler Dee-Lux and quickly realized that I didn't have any need for a true downhill bike. Moved to an all mountain bike and am now a happy man.
Loving it so far and it fits perfectly with overlanding.
Here is a photo I took while out riding in Bend, OR.
IMG_20161024_155922.jpg
2016 Santa Cruz Heckler

Jim Newell

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Great bikes guys!
I was into riding dirt jump bikes when I lived in Florida. It was a fun sport to do when it was too cold to wakeboard. :-)
Now that we have moved out west, I got back into mountain bikes and quickly realized that this elevation change thing is a totally different animal! lol Started with a Kona Coiler Dee-Lux and quickly realized that I didn't have any need for a true downhill bike. Moved to an all mountain bike and am now a happy man.
Loving it so far and it fits perfectly with overlanding.
Here is a photo I took while out riding in Bend, OR.
View attachment 10047
2016 Santa Cruz Heckler
Awesome!
and you are right....Mountain Biking is a great fit with Overlanding.
Have fun out West:)

Reactions: Livingthebuslife

Gofastpops

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Miamisburg, ohio
Member #

I have two mountain bikes and two cyclocross bikes (and a few road bikes as well).

06 Gary Fisher Paragon 29er
08 Airborne Ti Hag 29er single speed (the Hag is my favorite)

I've done quite a few 6 hr and 12 hr solo races, I usually ride the ti Hag.
The Mohican 100 was about the hardest race I've done on the singlespeed (lots of elevation for Ohio).

Here's a shot from the Harbin Park mountain bike snow time trail.

harbin.png

Last edited:
Reactions: French and gonzoy5

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

In my part of Ohio, places to mountain bike are about as easy to find as places to drive off pavement. A couple of local metro parks is about it. Still, the roads are subject to winter ice, salt, etc., so lots of potholes, tar snakes, and general rough rides. Doesn't make riding on 120 PSI skinny tires much fun.

Two years ago I bought a brand new, unused Trek 970 that sold for $850 in 1993 for $350 on eBay. And the year before that, a nearly new KHS Summit X that sold for $700-something in 1997 for $175 locally. And I have a Trek 830 was $65 two years ago on Craigslist for a beater bike.

By the way (and off topic.) Here's what I bought the KHS for. An Xtracycle conversion into a cargo bike.

And here's my touring/road bike (one of two I've ever bought new, and the other was an $88 ten-speed back in the early '70s.)

(Both can be embiggened my clicking on them.)

raundhaus

Rank III

Advocate II

MTBing is my first passion for sure, while exploring in my 4x4 really serves to get me to new trailheads and gives something the family can join in on.
I ride a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR and a Scott Scale... Both 29ers and 2012's. Its nearly time to update a bike, but it is so difficult to decide what to spend $$$ on; the bikes, the 4runner, or the Tundra!!!!
I'm fortunate enough to live near Bend, OR. If anyone tries telling me there is a better place to live and Mt Bike, I would like to see proof!! For single track or forest roads, its an amazing outdoor playground!

Jim Newell

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

MTBing is my first passion for sure, while exploring in my 4x4 really serves to get me to new trailheads and gives something the family can join in on.
I ride a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR and a Scott Scale... Both 29ers and 2012's. Its nearly time to update a bike, but it is so difficult to decide what to spend $$$ on; the bikes, the 4runner, or the Tundra!!!!
I'm fortunate enough to live near Bend, OR. If anyone tries telling me there is a better place to live and Mt Bike, I would like to see proof!! For single track or forest roads, its an amazing outdoor playground!
I think it is awesome that you appreciate your home turf.
Makes me want to travel there:)

Reactions: raundhaus