Tom K

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Zürich, Switzerland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6JHR
For those that did the water crossing, did anyone end up getting water inside the cab through the firewalls or seals? Not sure if my rig would have sprung a leak somewhere under the seat or not. I was one of the few that had to bug out early.

Matt
Honestly, I think I got a tiny bit in through the door seals. It wasn't obvious but we noticed later that some papers lying on the floor were wet. Also possible it came off my boots or from when I opened the door right after crossing.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Reactions: Zargon and Narbob

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

I am finally home and unpacked. I want to say thank you to a few people... First and foremost, Dan, thank you for organizing this, it was a bucket list trip of mine and I can't imagine doing it with better people. Cliff, thank you for grabbing me a couple of bags of ice on your way in for me since my arb fridge took a dump on Thursday and we were stuck needing to improvise. And finally thank you to @Michael and @Corrie for creating this awesome forum I can call home. I have met some great people now through this forum. Love it!

Sent from my LG-H810 using OB Talk mobile app

TacoZim

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Bay Area, CA
Member #

I am finally home and unpacked. I want to say thank you to a few people... First and foremost, Dan, thank you for organizing this, it was a bucket list trip of mine and I can't imagine doing it with better people. Cliff, thank you for grabbing me a couple of bags of ice on your way in for me since my arb fridge took a dump on Thursday and we were stuck needing to improvise. And finally thank you to @Michael and @Corrie for creating this awesome forum I can call home. I have met some great people now through this forum. Love it!

Thank you Scott for bringing your power tools so I could hack away at my fender as everyone enjoyed their lunch! Only minimal scrubbing for the rest of the adventure after that!

Matt

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

Thank you Scott for bringing your power tools so I could hack away at my fender as everyone enjoyed their lunch! Only minimal scrubbing for the rest of the adventure after that!

Matt
Hey Matt, wrong Scott. I believe it was @hmbexplore who let you borrow tools.. His name also happens to be Scott and we drive very similar dodge ram 2500s. Same year and everything.. Only real difference is the color and my bed is 2 feet longer.. Lol..

Narbob

US West Region Director
Staff member
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

Culver City California
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Brann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6W0A
I had a great time and hung out with fantastic people!! Then IT happened. South on I15 approaching the AG station someone let me know that I was smoking pretty bad. I made it through the station and found a wide spot to pull over and much to my shock,looking under, I saw everything soaked and dripping motor oil from the top of the engine. After I lifted then engine cover I saw oil spaying out around the oil filter but couldn't see from where. While pondering shooting it like a wounded animal my luck changed when @Michael and @Corrie came by followed by @Mademan925 (and Lisa) and then @HMBxplore. With Michaels hawk like eyes he saw that the oil filter O ring had un seated it self and was allowing the oil to escape. With that everyone jumped in, got it fixed, and poured in enough oil to get me to a gas station where I topped it off and then made it home. Once again the OB family jumped in and took care of business when needed. Photo by @Corrie image.jpeg

Last edited:

TacoZim

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Bay Area, CA
Member #

Hey Matt, wrong Scott. I believe it was @hmbexplore who let you borrow tools.. His name also happens to be Scott and we drive very similar dodge ram 2500s. Same year and everything.. Only real difference is the color and my bed is 2 feet longer.. Lol..

Too many Matt's and Scotts and whoever else in one forum.. I can't keep track!

Matt

Zargon

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

I had a great time and hung out with fantastic people!! Then IT happened. South on I15 approaching the AG station someone let me know that I was smoking pretty bad. I made it through the station and found a wide spot to pull over and much to my shock,looking under, I saw everything soaked and dripping motor oil from the top of the engine. After I lifted then engine cover I saw oil spaying out around the oil filter but couldn't see from where. While pondering shooting it like a wounded animal my luck changed when @Michael and @Corrie came by followed by @Mademan925 (and Lisa) and then @HMBxplore. With Michaels hawk like eyes he saw that the oil filter O ring had un seated it self and was allowing the oil to escape. With that everyone jumped in, got it fixed, and poured in enough oil to get me to a gas station where I topped it off and then made it home. Once again the OB family jumped in and took care of business when needed. Photo by @Corrie View attachment 19573
Glad you got it all sorted out!

Reactions: Narbob

Zargon

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

For those that did the water crossing, did anyone end up getting water inside the cab through the firewalls or seals? Not sure if my rig would have sprung a leak somewhere under the seat or not. I was one of the few that had to bug out early.

Matt
I absolutely got water in my foot wells, but that was to be expected considering the original 22 year old door seals!

Reactions: Narbob

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

Here is the Google Photos folder again for folks who want to upload images.
https://goo.gl/photos/V4nxCQdoBjz6yVfb7

And one from me for thread followers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just added all my photos to the album. Great idea on putting together a shared album! Also thanks for all your hard work on the patches and stickers. Can't wait to see the patches, bummer they couldn't arrive before the trip.

Mademan925

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

discovery bay, ca 94505
Member #

I had a great time and hung out with fantastic people!! Then IT happened. South on I15 approaching the AG station someone let me know that I was smoking pretty bad. I made it through the station and found a wide spot to pull over and much to my shock,looking under, I saw everything soaked and dripping motor oil from the top of the engine. After I lifted then engine cover I saw oil spaying out around the oil filter but couldn't see from where. While pondering shooting it like a wounded animal my luck changed when @Michael and @Corrie came by followed by @Mademan925 (and Lisa) and then @HMBxplore. With Michaels hawk like eyes he saw that the oil filter O ring had un seated it self and was allowing the oil to escape. With that everyone jumped in, got it fixed, and poured in enough oil to get me to a gas station where I topped it off and then made it home. Once again the OB family jumped in and took care of business when needed. Photo by @Corrie View attachment 19573
Really glad it was a simple fix. I can't believe how much oil was lost. Now I know I have to carry 5 20 for the jeeps as well as the 5 30 I already carry for the tacoma. We had an amazing trip. It was great seeing old friends and making new ones. Everyone was very capable and I was very impressed. Ill be selling the tacoma today and looking for a sprinter.... :wink:

Last edited:

Narbob

US West Region Director
Staff member
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

Culver City California
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Brann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6W0A
Really glad it was a simple fix. I can't believe how much oil was lost. Now a I know I have to carry 5 20 for the jeeps as well as the 5 30 I already carry for the tacoma. We had an amazing trip. It was great seeing old friends and making new ones. Everyone was very capable and I was very impressed. Ill be selling the tacoma today and looking for a sprinter.... :wink:
The oil I had I owe to you. I didn't carry it until OTG when we played the checklist game. I have a new Jeep, I'll never need it... NOT

Mademan925

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

discovery bay, ca 94505
Member #

The oil I had I owe to you. I didn't carry it until OTG when we played the checklist game. I have a new Jeep, I'll never need it... NOT
That game was successful. Kelly said the only reason he had power steering fluid on our death valley trip was because of that game too. Ill work on a game for next year.

Canyon_Cliff

Rank VI

Influencer I

Victorville, California
First Name
Clifford
Last Name
Bennett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YHU
Wow! What a great trip!
Got home all right despite losing my Power Steering assist on Thursday due to a big rock. Then my under engine plastic splash guard got taken out at the water crossing. Next time I will have a lift, All Terrain tires, and skid plates.
Had lots of fun ferrying Baz around so he could take pictures, and boy did he ever. He most have taking several thousand. Can't wait to see the OB Video in a few weeks.

Thanks again to Dan Rich for putting this together, and for all those that helped make it great. And to Michael and Corrie, you're the best.
Correction, I lost the power steering on Friday, not Thursday. Friday was the first day of off road travel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using OB Talk mobile app

Drftsub

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

Out of curiosity of those who went. Is there still a bypass for the water crossing to less depth? My brother in law is coming with me when I do this end of May and its possible he will have to take his Subaru Crosstrek rather than his truck. I wouldn't want to subject that thing to multiple feet of water.

Thanks!

Reactions: Zargon

CC_FJ

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Aliso Viejo, CA
Member #

We're home, unpacked, and I'm currently sitting at the local car wash...It's safe to say they hate me now lol! [emoji13] I just watched them take it back through the wash a second time! [emoji23]

Anyways, I just wanted to say thank you to Dan, and Michael and Corrie, of course! Cliff and I had an awesome time on this trip, and we really enjoyed meeting many of you!!

@Tom K - thank you for sharing your photos! I'll add a few we took too.

@TacoZim, the FJ got the tiniest bit of water through the door seals after the water crossing. Nothing that a little paper towel couldn't handle though.

-Cassie (Cliff and the Ridgebacks too)

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL

Awesome Scott, of course the honor is ours, and we are humbled by the community every day. Thanks to all, and we look forward to many more adventures.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
So glad we were there at the right time! Echoing your sentiment, it was an awesome adventure, and we couldn't be more please with the support of the community.