Tom K

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Zürich, Switzerland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6JHR
I've created a shared album folks can join on Google Photos to upload pic images / videos. Don't be jokers about what you upload or I'll have to lock down the album and make it by-permission-only.

If you follow it and set it up the album should get added to the "Shared Albums" list on your account and you have the Google Photos app on your phone, you can easily add photos to the album with just a few taps.

Here's the link.

Fakawi Tribe

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Fresno, CA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Aguirre
Member #

Regarding photo-sharing, I was struggling with a good way to share and this is probably the best idea on how to do it.
I like Google docs, but we have to make sure everyone that wants to, has access to it, which is just a housekeeping issue right?
I have everyone's e-mail address, I can send an invite to G/D to anyone that needs it at the appropriate time.

Then, anyone who wants can put together photos and video and put something together for all to see.
Also, I think a thread after the trip would be good to show the best of the best photos and links to videos.
I will also have a GoPro and a phone, of course.

SAC-CA-Runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Dublin, CA
Member #

I re-reviewed the rules that are attached to the permit, and that I will be required to keep with me, there is no stipulation that says drones are not allowed in the Mojave Preserve.
There is a paragraph about 'commercial filming... blah, blah', this is not a commercial enterprise.
I haven't heard that they are not allowed in NPS areas. Do not enlighten me further.
It's not a park rule, it's an FAA rule. I've had to take my test as I fly one commercially for my company. But...if you are careful and don't annoy others there is no harm in my book. It's things like flying next to airports or in my case flying over a military facility and a prison that can't be taken lightly.

https://www.nps.gov/fire/aviation/safety/unmanned-aerial-systems.cfm

SAC-CA-Runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Dublin, CA
Member #

I will be bringing an assortment of New Mexico IPAs - see...it is beer that brings the world together.

Ryan

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk
Soooo...uhhhh @Ryan Matthes Any way you can mule a couple of La Cumbre 4pks up for me? I love me some good beer and we can't get them here in CA. Love the Elevated IPA and the Red Ryeot. I can send you paypal or give you cash when I see you. And extra for picking it up and bringing it. If not...no biggie...but just been craving it! Please and thanks! HAHA :-) And will definitely have some great CA beers to share as well.

Reactions: Crispy

Lauroness

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Fairfield Ca
Member #

So from what I have been able to skim through on the last 4 pages. There's still 4 spots left. My money has been sent via PayPal but is under review since I sent it as friends (since that's what we all are here right!) I hope that won't be an issue but if it is i can resend as a payment. I believe David ob#4032 has sent in money as well.

UmmDavid

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor I

Fairfield California
Member #

So from what I have been able to skim through on the last 4 pages. There's still 4 spots left. My money has been sent via PayPal but is under review since I sent it as friends (since that's what we all are here right!) I hope that won't be an issue but if it is i can resend as a payment. I believe David ob#4032 has sent in money as well.
money sent hopefully its not booked or two spots are available

Reactions: Lauroness

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
money sent hopefully its not booked or two spots are available

Yep, I got it! @Lauroness it should clear by Saturday. Thanks for including your info!

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Well People, that's IT!

We've reached our max number that we set. No more spots available unless you've talked with me directly.

If you're paid up and going, please continue to check into this post for updates to the trip.

Thanks all, it's going to be a potentially epic trip!

Dan.

TacoZim

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Bay Area, CA
Member #

Well People, that's IT!

We've reached our max number that we set. No more spots available unless you've talked with me directly.

If you're paid up and going, please continue to check into this post for updates to the trip.

Dan.
Looking forward to my first OB trip with all of you. Thank you Dan for setting this all up!

OB2779

Reactions: OverlandBaz

Ryan Matthes

OB Ambassador
Supporter +
Investor

Explorer I

Chapel Hill, NC
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Matthes
Member #

Soooo...uhhhh @Ryan Matthes Any way you can mule a couple of La Cumbre 4pks up for me? I love me some good beer and we can't get them here in CA. Love the Elevated IPA and the Red Ryeot. I can send you paypal or give you cash when I see you. And extra for picking it up and bringing it. If not...no biggie...but just been craving it! Please and thanks! HAHA :-) And will definitely have some great CA beers to share as well.
Of course!! I'll be in a black rubicon pulling a black trailer. I'm bringing Elevated and taste of hefen from la cumbre, and some marble IPA as well.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Crispy

SAC-CA-Runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Dublin, CA
Member #

Of course!! I'll be in a black rubicon pulling a black trailer. I'm bringing Elevated and taste of hefen from la cumbre, and some marble IPA as well.

OK. Awesome man!!! I'll bring some good cans as well. I'll be in a Salsa Red 4Runner with CVT RTT and awning. Looking forward to this trip and meeting some new folks.

Reactions: Ryan Matthes

SAC-CA-Runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Dublin, CA
Member #

Well People, that's IT!

Dan.
Woot!!! So looking forward to this. Maybe update the list to "paid and going"? That way people can see about meeting up with other folks in the area and driving down together? I know it would be work, but listing names by region like WA/OR/NorCal/CentralCA/SoCal/NM/CO/TX/Etc I'd do it I just don't know the names of who committed. Thanks again @fj80toyman for putting this all together!

TOMB

Local Expert Central Valley CA

Explorer I

Clovis Ca
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Butler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6STB
Oh, I just remembered. If anyone is planning to go to Fort Piute, make sure to bring mosquito repellent. Last time I was there I was bitten 12 times on my arms alone. It was around the same time of year.

pabloquiros

Rank V
Launch Member
Supporter

Advocate II

Morro Bay, California
Member #

How many of you guys are using floor tents? I don't have an RTT yet and I probably won't have one before the trip. Just trying to gauge out how things are.

I definitely do not want to sidetrack the thread but I'd like to ask for some input. I have never done a off-road trip that lasted more than two days in a remote location, so while I have plenty of experience in unfavorable desert conditions by myself, I would like to get some input on supplies for two people. Mainly these items:

Water: I was thinking 1.5 gallons per person per day of potable. Since I am going to split it in potable and shower/vehicle water, not sure how much for the latter
Food: I have it mostly covered, no problems there.
Wood: As instructed, will probably bring two bundles.
Fuel: I know my mileage capabilities, so prolly 2 x jerry cans prolly 5 gallons total or something.
Sleeping/temperature: This is what I was wondering, floor tent and all, should i invest in a heater and a small genny or you think its overkill? I have thermal blankets plus sleeping bags plus an inflatable mattress.
Comms: I have FMRS and am working on getting a portable cb radio.

On another note, i had to remove my rear diff breather due to a problem with the hose, i am overseas right now and won't be back stateside until thursday afternoon, and then I'm headed out so i doubt i can put them back before the trip, should i take the kit and do some field mods, or you guys think they are not necessary this time?

Any input is good input, thanks guys.

Reactions: MVO and Zargon

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Hey @pabloquiros , You've hit on some of the important topics to think about for sure, but I think you've summarized nicely what you need to do.
That's probably plenty of water, I think it will be warm in the day, maybe even 90's, but hoping it doesn't get below 50 at night, but not sure with this weather.

Bring a heater if that's too cold, but with a good bag you should be OK. Bring a ground tent and a pad, plenty of flat space to set up.
I'm thinking of bringing a cot and sleeping under the stars, that's a good time right there!

Comms are key, I think a CB with a roof mounted antenna is going to prove better than FRS handhelds, but my preference of course is HAM, 2meter.

10 extra gallons is plenty, 5 in your truck is probably enough, but your a better judge.

You're not headed out til Thursday night? Man, don't drive drowsy, be safe my friend!

Edit: Bring your diff breather stuff, might have some time to get them sorted.

Dan.

Last edited: