Launch Member

Advocate III

Dublin, CA
First Name
Randy
Last Name
Hou
Member #

How many of you guys are using floor tents? I don't have an RTT yet and I probably won't have one before the trip. Just trying to gauge out how things are.

I definitely do not want to sidetrack the thread but I'd like to ask for some input. I have never done a off-road trip that lasted more than two days in a remote location, so while I have plenty of experience in unfavorable desert conditions by myself, I would like to get some input on supplies for two people. Mainly these items:

Water: I was thinking 1.5 gallons per person per day of potable. Since I am going to split it in potable and shower/vehicle water, not sure how much for the latter
Food: I have it mostly covered, no problems there.
Wood: As instructed, will probably bring two bundles.
Fuel: I know my mileage capabilities, so prolly 2 x jerry cans prolly 5 gallons total or something.
Sleeping/temperature: This is what I was wondering, floor tent and all, should i invest in a heater and a small genny or you think its overkill? I have thermal blankets plus sleeping bags plus an inflatable mattress.
Comms: I have FMRS and am working on getting a portable cb radio.

On another note, i had to remove my rear diff breather due to a problem with the hose, i am overseas right now and won't be back stateside until thursday afternoon, and then I'm headed out so i doubt i can put them back before the trip, should i take the kit and do some field mods, or you guys think they are not necessary this time?

Any input is good input, thanks guys.
I'll probably be doing my rear differential and rear locker breather mod out there as well (if I remember to get all the right parts before hand). If not, sadly, I will have to bypass the river crossing portion and meet you guys on the other side.

-Randy

Reactions: WCO_Ryan and Zargon

Tom K

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Zürich, Switzerland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6JHR
So the rear suspension on the truck is all done.
The bedslide is in.
And the new tires are on. We're ready.

Probably going to wire up some more lights on the truck this weekend and maybe swap to new heavy duty steering knuckles.

Oh man, new tires. I'm so tempted to put on some 33s...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Checking on the weather for next week, looks like it will be in the high 70s, with lows around 50.
35 percent chance of showers Saturday. Cloudy on Sunday.
That should be very comfortable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using OB Talk mobile app

Thanks Cliff! That sounds excellent.

It's important to remember too that we will be moving through a range where elevations vary a lot!
The first night, it's bound to be a little colder than that but probably not much.
Wind seems to be more of a bother than temperature this time of year.

The second night will likely be warmer. Think Baker, California warm, it's just south of there!

Don't want to tell you to over-pack, just be prepared for sunny & warm, as well as, sounds like, potential rain.

Reactions: Zargon

Cavo

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger II

Great Falls, VA, USA
First Name
Colin
Last Name
Richard
Member #

All this diff. breather talk is making me nervous! Do , I have to have this to cross the river???? Was Toyota that poor with their breather placement?

I want to cross the river!!!!

Cheers

TacoZim

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Bay Area, CA
Member #

All this diff. breather talk is making me nervous! Do , I have to have this to cross the river???? Was Toyota that poor with their breather placement?

Cheers
It's a cheap and quick mod. I got everything in two days and had it done in 20 minutes. I'm pretty sure you can go around if I'm not mistaken? I don't know much about this trail so I can't give a 100% answer. I did just cause I've been meaning to do it for a while now.

OB2779

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR

Cheers

Yeah, it's not a river, more like a moat...

And a friend of mine with a completely stock 4Runner crossed it with absolutely no difficulty, and it was his first time on that trail.
Don't get psyched up about it, I believe you will be fine in stock condition.

Cavo

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger II

Great Falls, VA, USA
First Name
Colin
Last Name
Richard
Member #

And a friend of mine with a completely stock 4Runner crossed it with absolutely no difficulty, and it was his first time on that trail.
Awesome to know...ty

Randy Hou

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Dublin, CA
First Name
Randy
Last Name
Hou
Member #

Yeah, I'm just paranoid so don't let me psych you out. If I don't get it done, I will just take the bypass route and meet you guys on the other side. Poor planning on my part so the parts I ordered maybe arriving late... sigh haha.

Randy

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Cavo and Zargon

Zargon

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Yeah, I'm just paranoid so don't let me psych you out. If I don't get it done, I will just take the bypass route and meet you guys on the other side. Poor planning on my part so the parts I ordered maybe arriving late... sigh haha.

Randy

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
I also crossed the water in a effectively bone stock 22 year old Discovery without any issues to provide more reassurance

Sent from my Nexus 6P using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Cavo