Model..Overlanding

• HTML tutorial

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

I’ve been thinking about getting one for messing around with while hanging around camp. While camping in the Alabama hills I kept thinking that it’d be a great place to play with an rc rig. Any ideas for budget 4x4 crawlers? I don’t need another expensive hobby, but a decent one with replaceable parts that’s a respectable step up from the toys would be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Downs

choladay

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Houston, TX
Member #

I’ve been thinking about getting one for messing around with while hanging around camp. While camping in the Alabama hills I kept thinking that it’d be a great place to play with an rc rig. Any ideas for budget 4x4 crawlers? I don’t need another expensive hobby, but a decent one with replaceable parts that’s a respectable step up from the toys would be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
An Axial Scx10 would be your best bet. They have the largest aftermarket support out of any of them. In fact, I think you can get the Axial SCX10 Deadbolt from Tower Hobbies for $274 shipped. It ready to run. The only thing you would need is a battery and charger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 000

FJ81

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Southern California
Member #

Yeah, my scx10 was in that ball park, 300ish. I got a nice big battery for it and it has been a blast. My favorite thing is that because it is a crawler, if you spend time doing technical stuff or trying obstacles the battery lasts a good while. You can go down the rabbithole if you want to an do crazy tranny upgrades and all that later, for slower crawling or faster driving. It is very balanced and fun stock.

Reactions: 000

METIS

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Redwood City, CA
Member #

Hah. Not quite, but years ago when I owned a Touareg the sales guy followed up and gifted me a model of the Touareg Dakar Rig. Instagram was new then and I took it around the courtyard of the office I worked in at the time. Had much more free time then, but the model is still on my desk.