Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
All the stay at home orders may make me getting a little scale rig. Since selling my MTN bike there isnt much I can do outside while staying "quarantined". Question for those who know better would the Axial scx10ii honch or an RC4wd be a better starting point?

The axial likely has a better aftermarket support. At the same time I like the scale appearance of the RC4wd C2x trucks. The axial will be $50 less than the RC4wd after buying batteries.
Both have huge aftermarket support... RC4wd has the only scale 2speed transmission. Stock lockers... personally I would get any raw builders kit, so I could chose my own body and mod it out... but value... I wouldn’t change going with Cross RC Deamon they are robust, same frame width as the Traxxes TRX4 chassis, so all TRX4 Chassis accessories fit with little to no mods.

Reactions: flyfisher117

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
An Axial Cherokee is on my list of things to buy for camp entertainment. And would probably be fun right now stuck at home. Wish they made a more stock looking version that I could paint up to look like mine.

Contributor II

Ladysmith BC
First Name
Darrin
Last Name
Pritchett
depends how scale you want it ... or how 'easy' you want your crawling ... the Axial, the rc4wd and the TRX4 all have a fantastic aftermarket

I would argue axial has the most 'conversion' aftermarket .. so if you want to actively change things, convert layouts/suspension etc... I would put axials aftermarket much higher on the scale ... where as the rc4wd/traxxas aftermarket are primarily geared towards upgrading how they are stock.

if you want stock leaf springs and scale axles ...rc4wd ... if you want a better out of the box crawler that you can do whatever you want to later/over time ... axial .... the trx4 is a great crawler, but other then the body it's not very 'scale'

flyfisher117

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Idaho
First Name
John
Last Name
Hansen
Member #

depends how scale you want it ... or how 'easy' you want your crawling ... the Axial, the rc4wd and the TRX4 all have a fantastic aftermarket

I would argue axial has the most 'conversion' aftermarket .. so if you want to actively change things, convert layouts/suspension etc... I would put axials aftermarket much higher on the scale ... where as the rc4wd/traxxas aftermarket are primarily geared towards upgrading how they are stock.

if you want stock leaf springs and scale axles ...rc4wd ... if you want a better out of the box crawler that you can do whatever you want to later/over time ... axial .... the trx4 is a great crawler, but other then the body it's not very 'scale'
Thanks.

Right now I just want something to play with. No major long term plans but if stuff starts breaking I want to be able to upgrade it. IE plastic parts.

At the same time I dont want to end up sinking another $500 in upgrades haha.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Thanks.

Right now I just want something to play with. No major long term plans but if stuff starts breaking I want to be able to upgrade it. IE plastic parts.

At the same time I dont want to end up sinking another $500 in upgrades haha.
The Cross RC Deamon “C” models are all upgraded to the maximum (all Metal parts right out of the box)

flyfisher117

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Idaho
First Name
John
Last Name
Hansen
Member #

The Cross RC Deamon “C” models are all upgraded to the maximum (all Metal parts right out of the box)
I will check them out! I wish I was halfway capable of painting and finishing a model because some of their builder kits are kind of cool!

ChambersFamily

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Plains, OR, USA
First Name
Marshall
Last Name
Chambers
Member #

This is awesome. I was really into RC Crawlers back in 08. I had a super class I built with brake line and clod axles. Good times! I often think about getting back into it, scale side. But then I get “that look” from my wife haha!

Attachments

Reactions: PapaDave

Brett L.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Long Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Brett
Last Name
LaForest
Member #

I have an RC4WD Marlin Crawler with a bunch of accessories that I plan on selling if anyone is interested. You can see some pics of the rig in the link below. I started building this thing up but never finished it and lost interest in the project. DM me if interested.