mobile device apps that assist

• HTML tutorial

Pippinized

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Any suggestions for ideas about phone or tablet apps that can help us out?

Suggestion 1
Glympse is a phone app that will send a live-ish signal of how to track a phone for up to 4 hours. If you are heading out on the trail, you can send a link that will track the cell signal.

WeatherUnderground has been fairly accurate in recent weeks. I haven't checked out more of it's background or overall accuracy, its been fairly accurate, within recent weeks.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Any radar app as long as long as you have mobile coverage.

I will have to think about others. I use Gaia. Hema is the same even though it is a "new" release. Any GPS app that can at least plot waypoints for where your home base is good.

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

Started using maps.me on iPad recently. The download maps feature has been great for planning and navigation. Also use Road Trip to track fuel usage, cost and maintenance schedules. There's this other app called something like 'Overland Bound Talk' or something, really great source of information ;-)

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

I also forgot to mention that I use pdf maps, Gaia, and google earth apps which are great for planning trips

Reactions: Tim

hardtrailz

Rank V

Advocate II

Indiana
Any suggestions for ideas about phone or tablet apps that can help us out?

Suggestion 1
Glympse is a phone app that will send a live-ish signal of how to track a phone for up to 4 hours. If you are heading out on the trail, you can send a link that will track the cell signal.

WeatherUnderground has been fairly accurate in recent weeks. I haven't checked out more of it's background or overall accuracy, its been fairly accurate, within recent weeks.
Both of these have done well for me for awhile. Great suggestions!

Reactions: Pippinized
E

expeditionnorth

I second pdf maps, though the terra toolbar can be confusing to most starting out

Counterpoise

Rank 0

Contributor I

I use several of the offline GPS apps, just download the maps as to where you are going. I use an old Galaxy S3 that's not connected to the network. This keeps my personal phones battery as full as possible. I also use the Repeaterbook app for ham radio. This can be used solely with GPS as well. Never know when you will lose cell service. A few good Ham apps for calculating antennas and such, just can't remember the names.