MiniMax ZR2 Colorado Build

• HTML tutorial

Paradox732

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Huntersville, NC, USA
Member #

So ditched the Tundra in favor of something a little more trail worthy. I picked up an 18 ZR2 Diesel after almost 10,000 miles and a trip through AZ, CA, UT and many CO trials I determined that really the only things I needed were just accessories for the truck. The suspension, powertrain, lockers and other goodies make this thing one heck of a machine.

This was how I took it for 3000mi from Denver --> AZ --> Joshua Tree --> LA --> Vegas --> Zion --> Denver

This was off the coast of the Salton Sea .GTA V fans might recognize the building in the background

IMG_3326 2.jpg

Paradox732

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Huntersville, NC, USA
Member #

After spending a windy night in the Mojave with nothing but a Slumberjack "Truck Tarp" I decided that something more rigid was a must. Especially considering how often I'm camping above tree line.

This DID NOT cut it and made for a miserable and dusty night. Was almost impossible to cook under in the wind and straps against the door scuffed up the paint.

IMG_3318.jpg

Paradox732

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Huntersville, NC, USA
Member #

Scored this sweet Softopper and custom bed rack off of CL for an excellent price. Wish I'd had this for the long road trip but has served me well on a few overnight trips to the rockies. The rack is super stout. The previous owner had a CVT on top of it. Thats not really my style but gives you an idea of how stout it is.
IMG_3756.jpg

Paradox732

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Huntersville, NC, USA
Member #

Most recent add was this cargo box I scored off of FB marketplace. It's Thule but rebranded for MINI. Got it from a MINI parts manager and its pretty nice. Holds my sleeping bag, mat, hammock, pillow, fleece and has room for some other goodies. MINI for MiniMax. I currently have an 8ft awning in the garage, thats going on next. IMG_4024.jpg

PabstBlueSwayze

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Glendale, CA 91202
Member #

Awesome rig! Awesome to see more people jump on the DuraMax ZR2 train.

Random question for you - how is that Trasharoo setup on the tailgate working for you? I was toying with the idea of getting one and setting it up the same way but was unsure how well it works.

Paradox732

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Huntersville, NC, USA
Member #

Awesome rig! Awesome to see more people jump on the DuraMax ZR2 train.

Random question for you - how is that Trasharoo setup on the tailgate working for you? I was toying with the idea of getting one and setting it up the same way but was unsure how well it works.
Appreciate it, love this truck so much.

It's kind of meh. You have to reach in to empty it so I don't put anything in there that I wouldn't be willing to grab again and its hard to open the tailgate all the way if its full of stuff. Basically I don't have a better solution at the moment so I haven't gotten rid of it yet.

PabstBlueSwayze

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Glendale, CA 91202
Member #

Appreciate it, love this truck so much.

It's kind of meh. You have to reach in to empty it so I don't put anything in there that I wouldn't be willing to grab again and its hard to open the tailgate all the way if its full of stuff. Basically I don't have a better solution at the moment so I haven't gotten rid of it yet.
That is what I was worried about, thanks for the feedback - it is much appreciated!

HEYElliott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Markham, Ontario, Canada
Member #

Nice progress with MiniMax, I love the 1/4 tonne trucks are making a resurgence! My old 2011 Colorado was awesome until some of the typical GM problems came on (wheel bearings every other year, tranny problems etc)
If I were to go back it would 100% be the ZR2 DMAX!

Paradox732

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Huntersville, NC, USA
Member #

Nice progress with MiniMax, I love the 1/4 tonne trucks are making a resurgence! My old 2011 Colorado was awesome until some of the typical GM problems came on (wheel bearings every other year, tranny problems etc)
If I were to go back it would 100% be the ZR2 DMAX!

Thank you, its been an awesome rig so far. Those older gen Colorados def had a lot of gremlins and I think the redesign was very well done. Any of the small issues that have crept up have been related to the DEF system. Nothing in the driveline, suspension or diffs.

Reactions: HEYElliott

Paradox732

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Huntersville, NC, USA
Member #

So this went in last night! Nothing functional but it love the way it sounds and cleans up the engine bay and I got it for a good price. Took maybe an hour to install with basic hand tools. Guess its time to spray out the engine bay too. IMG_4057.jpg

This was the inside of my stock airbag after more than a few runs through some "puddles" that being said, the intake tube was clean as a whistle. IMG_4056.jpg

Paradox732

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Huntersville, NC, USA
Member #

Last of the stuff lying around in the garage went on. Been wanting this awning on for awhile now and finally had the time to hard mount it to the bed rack. Very sturdy. Everything I’ve seen tells me it’s just a rebranded ARB awning that’s not available is the US

IMG_4079.JPGIMG_4073.JPGIMG_4070.JPG

Paradox732

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Huntersville, NC, USA
Member #

Absolutely buried myself up behind Idaho Spring on memorial day. Getting stuck with all the lockers on is bad news. Had to hike out for rescue. Winch and bumper are soon to come. IMG_4205.jpgIMG_4207.jpg

travisn000

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Oregon
I am curios to know what worked / didn't work in your attempts to self rescue? hi-lift, shovel, max trax, air-down, etc?

I bought a zr2 at the beginning of the year, played in the snow a bit, but haven't used it in the sand much. This last weekend I got stuck in 2wd in a small sand dune off a paved parking lot (on purpose), but the lockers walked me right out. I bought a set of cheap chinese max trax knock-offs from ebay, but haven't had time / opportunity to test them yet.

Bradb55

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Pensacola, FL
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Blanchard
Member #

Excited to see this build. I have been interested in the diesel option. My buddy bought one to haul is corolla drift car. He had zero issue with it. Definitely tracking this thread

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Out_and_Back_Again

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Moscow, ID
First Name
Geoffrey
Last Name
Brown
Any updates on getting stuck? With the extra weight of a bumper and winch are you considering a level kit or anything to compensate?

Paradox732

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Huntersville, NC, USA
Member #

Any updates on getting stuck? With the extra weight of a bumper and winch are you considering a level kit or anything to compensate?
I might do the Eibach front coil upgrades and some bags in the rear to compensate for the extra weight. I’m waiting for the official release, I know they have a few things in the works.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

NoRigJoe

Rank 0

Contributor I

Broken Arrow, OK, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Allen
First post on these forums, but I love your build! I am a year and a half out from buying my truck and I'm leaning hard into the ZR2! Any new updates to share?