Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Let me go find the thread, but Michael worked on some badge rockers with this thought in mind. And they turned out pretty cool.

John Lime III

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Anchorage, AK
First Name
John
Last Name
Lime III
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KL4OF
8495270E-A4AC-4A01-8D42-4B883A4AA054.jpeg 50573D92-D465-4790-A29E-E8DCFF48DBEC.jpeg
Hello all, just a few thoughts on these ideas.

1. For the guys (ex-US mil) that don't have a VA ID card, I'd recommend going to the nearest VA facility with your 214 and registering. You never know when you'll need something from them and having the ID already cuts 6 hours of office time and 3 weeks of mail time out.

2. For verification of US guys, would a picture of say, my handicapped Alaska Veteran license plates work? I had to provide documents to the DMV to get them. Also, a picture of either a VA or MIL ID card with the service number redacted out? Or a picture of a DD-214 with the sensitive items (if I recall correctly, it's the social and address, maybe a few other blocks, I haven't needed to look at it recently) redacted out?

3. For non-US MIL, do all countries have some sort of discharge paper that could be photoed with the sensitive stuff redacted? Or your old ID card? I dunno, I only did time in the US Army and Marines.

4. To keep costs down, you could order a bunch that were the same, or have small batches by country/continent/region that could be sold according to what verification documents are provided.

I'm attaching pics showing possible verification methods. Just my 2 cents. Semper Fi!

TRD_RTC

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Pittsburgh Pa - JBMDL NJ
Member #

I like the Idea of verifying credentials and all but lets be aware that PI on the internet no matter what is blocked off is a grey area. Especially, if you are throwing up cac and stuff which i do believe is illegal to photocopy. Just a friendly reminder is all!

Reactions: Jedi

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
At this point, we have yet to get a reply about even making them, so for myself I am giving up. Not complaining per-say, but rehashing how to ID or not ID or such is way ahead of this coming to be, OB is busy and there are hundreds of us sending msg's and such so I get it, but till approval is done and production is in the works, this idea is dead........

Jim

Jedi

Rank VI
Staff member
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Ferndale, WA USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McClory
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6JDI
At this point, we have yet to get a reply about even making them, so for myself I am giving up. Not complaining per-say, but rehashing how to ID or not ID or such is way ahead of this coming to be, OB is busy and there are hundreds of us sending msg's and such so I get it, but till approval is done and production is in the works, this idea is dead........

Jim
Unfortunately, this is correct. Overland Bound is less than a handful of people trying to support and even provide great enhancement to a group with over 17,000+ paid members and probably twice as many forum members. That is a lot of work.

Reactions: John Lime III

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Unfortunately, this is correct. Overland Bound is less than a handful of people trying to support and even provide great enhancement to a group with over 17,000+ paid members and probably twice as many forum members. That is a lot of work.

Yep for sure and no complaints here.....

John Lime III

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Anchorage, AK
First Name
John
Last Name
Lime III
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KL4OF
I like the Idea of verifying credentials and all but lets be aware that PI on the internet no matter what is blocked off is a grey area. Especially, if you are throwing up cac and stuff which i do believe is illegal to photocopy. Just a friendly reminder is all!
I didn't even think about the issues with pics of CAC cards. Been so long since I had one.

No complaints about the group. It is definitely a great group overall and a great source of info and help.

Hope everyone has a great holiday season.

xTyx

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Francisco
Member #

Served in the Corps for 10 yrs as an 0341 (mortarman). I do have to agree that having someone prove their service can be a bit risky with personal information being shared. I rock both the OB & EGA/Battalion stickers on my FJ...not having a OB military decal is no big deal to me personally. I proudly rep both.

Fozzy325

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Calgary, AB, Canada
Member #

Served in the Corps for 10 yrs as an 0341 (mortarman). I do have to agree that having someone prove their service can be a bit risky with personal information being shared. I rock both the OB & EGA/Battalion stickers on my FJ...not having a OB military decal is no big deal to me personally. I proudly rep both.
I was an 81mm mortar no1 and no2 and mortar fire controller (MFC)
1069AF2E-26EC-4165-B3A5-B198D651C0AB-11738-00000B6954272C4E.jpg

Reactions: xTyx

Julian Dahlman

Rank II

Contributor III

Shreveport, LA, USA
Member #

I didn't even think about the issues with pics of CAC cards. Been so long since I had one.

No complaints about the group. It is definitely a great group overall and a great source of info and help.

Hope everyone has a great holiday season.
Maybe something that could be scanned though would be a DD214/LES. You've got to scan one to get into college and there's no issue with that.

John Lime III

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Anchorage, AK
First Name
John
Last Name
Lime III
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KL4OF
Maybe something that could be scanned though would be a DD214/LES. You've got to scan one to get into college and there's no issue with that.
The pics I put up were just taken on my iPad and I edited with a free app to block out the sensitive stuff. Easy to do.

John Lime III

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Anchorage, AK
First Name
John
Last Name
Lime III
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KL4OF
Semper Fi Brother. Started off as 0311. Wound up in an office as an 0151. Got out, switched to Army working on Blackhawks as a 15T.

Reactions: xTyx

CrisisFish

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Lebanon, Indiana
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Wyatt
Member #

Based on their FAQ, no. Only “U.S. Armed Forces”, however anyone can make an account. It might be worth looking for a similar verification system for British vets...or whatever country a member might be from.

I think this would still be a better option for U.S. members than sending a DD214 and worrying about personal information safety.

Reactions: Old Tanker

xTyx

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Francisco
Member #

Semper Fi brother! LoL...i also started off as an 11 but was moved off to Demo and Tow until they found out i was color blind...kicked me over to Mortars really quick! Loved it in mortars, plenty of sleep in the field when we did the "1 up all down" method! hahaha!
Semper Fi Brother. Started off as 0311. Wound up in an office as an 0151. Got out, switched to Army working on Blackhawks as a 15T.