Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I like the thought but there are many issues with what you are asking.
1. to validate you would need to have someone in each country to validate the Service record or MPRR etc. This information is quite sensitive and there are many "Walter Mitties" that buy and sell this information so they can wear medals on remembrance day.
2. Limited printing of a sticker is difficult unless they were sold to the buyer in stacks of 100. A cloth badge you could do it and may be an idea

I would say validate with the veterans card or service card but again its sensitive data and you now have to worry about Cyber Laws in many countries

Your idea is great and I have tried this with Veterans on a military site and we couldn't even get it flowing.
Valid points, and the 'walter mitties' is what I was trying to get around. My thought was that the sensitive info could be covered (numbers/photo etc) and just show that they had some type of military tie-in. I understand the logistical problem of a very small limited run item, and the increased cost that this would entail. I am not sure how to implement such safeguards and make it a viable 'point of sale' (POS) item. I would leave that to the bean counter department.

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
I like the thought but there are many issues with what you are asking.
1. to validate you would need to have someone in each country to validate the Service record or MPRR etc. This information is quite sensitive and there are many "Walter Mitties" that buy and sell this information so they can wear medals on remembrance day.
2. Limited printing of a sticker is difficult unless they were sold to the buyer in stacks of 100. A cloth badge you could do it and may be an idea

I would say validate with the veterans card or service card but again its sensitive data and you now have to worry about Cyber Laws in many countries

Your idea is great and I have tried this with Veterans on a military site and we couldn't even get it flowing.

I like both these ideas. Active/Vet all should have a VA/ID card that would show the name, can block off other info.

I have yet to hear anything on getting these made...Will ask again.

Jim

Firemom

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador

Pioneer III

Rapid City, Meade County, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Deb
Last Name
Lee (Ironhorse Overland)
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKU
Service Branch
Army Reserves
Valid points, and the 'walter mitties' is what I was trying to get around. My thought was that the sensitive info could be covered (numbers/photo etc) and just show that they had some type of military tie-in. I understand the logistical problem of a very small limited run item, and the increased cost that this would entail. I am not sure how to implement such safeguards and make it a viable 'point of sale' (POS) item. I would leave that to the bean counter department.
Not sure how the info could be transmitted securely but many states now have a VETERAN designator on the Drivers license. I had to go to the VA office and get a special letter signed then take that to the DMV so the validation issue is taken care of.

Ron W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Herriman, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Wilkinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRQT933
Service Branch
US Navy
Veter
I like both these ideas. Active/Vet all should have a VA/ID card that would show the name, can block off other info.

I have yet to hear anything on getting these made...Will ask again.

Jim
When I got out of the Navy in 1994 I was not issued a veteran's card and I do not know of anyone (retired being the exception) that was issued anything besides their DD-214.

Firemom

Pioneer III

First Name
Deb
Last Name
Lee (Ironhorse Overland)
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKU
Service Branch
Army Reserves
Veter

When I got out of the Navy in 1994 I was not issued a veteran's card and I do not know of anyone (retired being the exception) that was issued anything besides their DD-214.
Ditto on the VA ID you only get one if you Retire from the military or have a service related injury/medical issue that qualifies for VA health coverage. There are a few other classifications that receive VA benefits and a card but the vast majority of prior service members only have their DD214. That is why many states have made the designator on the drivers license available. After you jump through a few hoops, it’s on your DL and you don’t have to show your DD214 any more.

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

Veter

Ditto on the VA ID you only get one if you Retire from the military or have a service related injury/medical issue that qualifies for VA health coverage. There are a few other classifications that receive VA benefits and a card but the vast majority of prior service members only have their DD214. That is why many states have made the designator on the drivers license available. After you jump through a few hoops, it’s on your DL and you don’t have to show your DD214 any more.
Exactly what @Firemom said..

Example, from the state of Virginia. https://www.dvs.virginia.gov/benefits/veterans-id-card

While this is a cool idea, the site here plays to Countries all over the world. will be very hard to verify said service. In my opinion... Also a sensitive items check as well.

Reactions: Patrick-A51

Firemom

Pioneer III

First Name
Deb
Last Name
Lee (Ironhorse Overland)
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKU
Service Branch
Army Reserves
Exactly what @Firemom said..

Example, from the state of Virginia. https://www.dvs.virginia.gov/benefits/veterans-id-card

While this is a cool idea, the site here plays to Countries all over the world. will be very hard to verify said service. In my opinion... Also a sensitive items check as well.
Yah! I did not take into account the different country issue. I have no Idea what other countries use to prove military service. There would have to be someone knowledgeable from each country and that could get complicated.

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Well then we take peoples word for it. I mean what is the alternative forget the idea?

But I have yet to get any replay to the few emails and msg's I have sent about this so it might be dead anyway....

Jim

Reactions: 64Trvlr

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
Jesus why is every thing so hard the ideas great i would not dream of putting a decal on my truck that was for ex or serving military but would allways want to ask in conversation what service they were in not to challenge them just out of interest , hope you get your badge ( decal ) AND WEAR IT WITH PRIDE

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I would say go for it. If we catch any Walter mitties then name and shame them. Kick them from the forum and group.
Now that's a mighty good alternative. It all falls on those who want one, and they know the consequences if they FUDGE IT, just to get that decal. Shame can be a great equalizer as far as peer pressure is concerned. The embarrassment of being found out, will stop all but the most narcissist of people.

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
I decided to play around a bit with ideas... I tried to get it to say "CULTUS ET EXPLORARE" at the bottom where the Outfit and Explore text was, but I don't have great graphic design skills... This is what I got so far though:
View attachment 71899
So what about the Navy and the Airforce or is it just the pongoes that get recognition ;-)

Reactions: Doc Rey

Jedi

Rank VI
Staff member
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Ferndale, WA USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McClory
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6JDI
So what about the Navy and the Airforce or is it just the pongoes that get recognition ;-)
You must not be able to see the Airforce craft flying low behind that ridge line. Do you also not see the Naval sub in the water tank on the rack? :-P

Jedi

Rank VI
Staff member
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Ferndale, WA USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McClory
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6JDI
For sure.. I would be down for supporting Warrior Foundation / Freedom Station [link]. They are very responsible with the donations.