Member Rides

• HTML tutorial

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I know the Frontier and the XTerra share the same F-Alpha chassis, but the Fronty has some different body geometry. How do you find it compares to the XTerra off road?

I'm just curious because I think my next rig may be a pickup and if Nissan ever brings out that diesel Frontier they have been talking about, it would be a strong contender. Of course, my XTerra has many more miles (and mods) to go before I throw in the towel on her.

Reactions: SLO Rob

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

The turning radius bites compared to the X. Other than that its just as capable. More even, since the Fronty has the lift, locker, tires, sliders, etc.

I did rub a tree or two in the high Sierras a couple of weeks ago that the X would have breezed past though.

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

Another difference is the rear suspension. The X is spring under design while the Frontier a spring over setup

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

The turning radius is a big advantage of the XTerra, it constantly annoys my wife that my lumbering SUV can practically pirouette into a parking space that her sedan takes two swings to get into.

One of my concerns with going for a truck is the hits I would take to the breakover angle and departure angle. The XTerra is a nice middle ground there and I've managed to get through things with ease that longer wheel base vehicles find a challenge and trucks tend to drag their rear bumpers on. I'm sure mods have a lot to do with it too. I'm lifted, fully armored on the belly, with sliders, and larger tires.

EDIT: Nice photo. Where was that taken? It looks a lot like some of the terrain I see in the Great Basin region.

The stock rear suspension on the XTerra is kind of sucky to be honest. It only has about 2" of upward travel before you hit the stops and the springs are rather soft. I had some custom Alcan springs built and I haven't hit the bump stops since.

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

I can do single swings I just gotta brush bumpers on the other side of the lane :-)

Photo is from Copper Mountain, near Conway Summit, US-395, Lee Vining, CA

Reactions: Michael

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

Breakover angle is the same as an X. Departure is a bit longer, need a Shrock bumper to fix that up. Next on the list. The White Knuckles ate a huge part of this year's mod budget...

Reactions: 9Mike2 and Michael

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I'm lucky. I have an amazing fabricator 40 minutes from me that does nothing but Gen2 XTerra armor. My rear bumper is one of his, along with my sliders. I will be picking up a low profile roof basket from him soon in preparation for a big trip in a couple months.

Reactions: Michael

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
The stock rear suspension on the XTerra is kind of sucky to be honest. It only has about 2" of upward travel before you hit the stops and the springs are rather soft. I had some custom Alcan springs built and I haven't hit the bump stops since.
The exact reason my rear suspension is far from stock.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
I was composing a post last night when the forum appeared to go down, so I will take another stab at it. I realized I didn't post a photo of my rig in my introduction post - so I will do it here instead.

I also got to take some European guests out wheeling a few weeks ago, one shot these videos:

These are AMAZING pictures! Thanks for sharing!

Forums - user traffic shut em down! We had to upgrade, and we did! Now, faster with more bandwidth. I think the chat application pushed it over the edge.

Thank you for sharing these awesome photos and videos, and welcome!

M

Reactions: JaimyMac630

gcg

Rank 0

Contributor I

My vehicle is a 2007 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2 door. In addition to the front and rear lockers and front sway bar disconnect that come on the Rubicion, over the years I've added several mods, including:
  • 35 x 12.5 x 15" MT tires
  • Rubicon Express 3.5" lift
  • Warn power plant winch (winch plus air compressor)
  • Shrockworks stubby front bumper with skid plate
  • Rock Hard 4x4 rear bumper, spare tire carrier, 2 gas can mounts (also mount Hilift and PullPal on it)
  • White Knuckle Offroad rock rails
  • Rock Hard 4x4 skid plates: Oil pan and trans, transfer case, gas tank, evaporative emissions canister
  • Front and rear diff cover/ guard
  • Superior alloy 4.88 gears and Superior alloy half shafts
  • JE Reel upgraded drive shafts and U joints
  • Upgraded ball joints
  • Additional gusseting of the track bar and control arm brackets
  • Front Runner Slimline II Extreme roof rack
  • CB
  • GPS
  • Home made storage system
Rocks.jpg Dusy.jpg Rear.jpg