Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

Name is Mike, from Dubuque, Iowa on the Mississippi river.... So, I think this group that is forming on this site seems to be very like minded and wants to do similar trips as we see Michael and his wife and son doing. I love that it is inclusive of various makes and models. I for one love the Toyotas and Jeeps and everything else. I happen to also have a Land Rover LR4. When my vehicle grows up it wants to be like David/Finpup's rig. ha! I ordered my OB badge, its own its way!

I see the off the grid rally type trip, and I am planning to have some free time next year to possibly join a trip like that. I'd like to complete some more simple trips and add a few more things to my rig (not needed, but I want to) before I join a group for a more serious overland trip. I want to meet some of you in person on a trip and not just online!

So far, 2013 LR4 (V8), HSE Lux, Voyager rack/ladder/sliders. OE cargo barrier (great for safety and keeping gear tied down). Vlair air source. Traxide dual batt system going in soon. Compomotive PD1880 with Silent Armor Goodyears, 265/65R18. (EO)2 mount system for pelican cases. We use a Kodiak 10x10 canvas tent.

The rig.

12,000 feet, cold as heck and raining.

Loading up the rig.

Last edited:

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Welcome Mike! (@mbwesner )

That's exactly the truck I would like to get one of these days! Same year (last of the V8s) color, and trim level. Did you find one with the HD Package? I too have enjoyed David's (OB#0001) photos, and would love to come even close to what he's put together.

Reactions: Mike W

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

Welcome Mike! (@mbwesner )

That's exactly the truck I would like to get one of these days! Same year (last of the V8s) color, and trim level. Did you find one with the HD Package? I too have enjoyed David's (OB#0001) photos, and would love to come even close to what he's put together.
Yes, I ordered mine from the factory with the black wood, HD Package, etc. I wanted the rear locker because I knew that I would slowly transition this rig into something more rugged.

For the rig, I hope to try out the tactical 4x4 sliders (though i really like the voyager ones, i want to try the larger ones). Then I want to look at a rear bumper with removable (part time) tire carrier (nothing wrong with the tire under the rig most of the time and for a lot of trips). Then ARB front bumper like David has setup. I want to try and stay with the ~31.5" tires and no lift. I'm hoping with a little armor that I can get by. I don't want to mess with the suspension too much. I also would like to get some other practical stuff like the new lucky8 bump stop extensions so I don't get stranded on my tires, and an IID tool for computer issues.

Thats a lot of cash though... The rig is expensive to start and I really want to get more trips in now rather than building this $90k rig first and not having any dirt on the thing.

My kids (2 girls) are 4 and 6, so we have been taking several small trips, doing a lot of normal tent camping/car camping. We did a colorado trip this summer and did a bit of exploring. I'd like to also take a trip with just my wife or perhaps go with a group of friends (hopefully some new OB friends).

Basically I want to get out there and do what Michael is showing us on his channel. We all love the gear, and preparations, and planning, but what counts is being out in the world and getting away from as much as we can right? I mean.. the forums are great and bring us together, but what we really want is to get away from them right?

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

...but what counts is being out in the world and getting away from as much as we can right? I mean.. the forums are great and bring us together, but what we really want is to get away from them right?
Exactly! If I don't have any cell signal for the entire trip, I will be ecstatic! :grinning:

NoOneBetter

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA
Member #

Welcome aboard, @NoOneBetter It looks like you have a wonderful area to go exploring. There's nothing remotely like that here in northern Ohio.
Thanks Steve, thats a nice outback you got. I came from an 05 forester xt 5mt. I believe I've seen photos of your vehicle before when I was looking for my Yakima Load Warrior.

@NoOneBetter Sweet rig! The 4Runner is an awesome platform for overlanding, you're gonna love it. Can't wait to see your mods!

Welcome to the forums!
Thanks! I'm loving everything about it so far and have been impressed with its capabilities.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Thanks Steve, thats a nice outback you got. I came from an 05 forester xt 5mt. I believe I've seen photos of your vehicle before when I was looking for my Yakima Load Warrior.
Thank you! Yep, you've most likely seen my photos, as I'm on clubWRX.net (just sold my 2002 WRX Wagon after 13 years) and SubaruOutback.org, as well as some other sites. And I have a smugmug gallery with all the photos, which gets crawled by Google, et al.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Name is Mike, from Dubuque, Iowa on the Mississippi river.... So, I think this group that is forming on this site seems to be very like minded and wants to do similar trips as we see Michael and his wife and son doing. I love that it is inclusive of various makes and models. I for one love the Toyotas and Jeeps and everything else. I happen to also have a Land Rover LR4. When my vehicle grows up it wants to be like David/Finpup's rig. ha! I ordered my OB badge, its own its way!

I see the off the grid rally type trip, and I am planning to have some free time next year to possibly join a trip like that. I'd like to complete some more simple trips and add a few more things to my rig (not needed, but I want to) before I join a group for a more serious overland trip. I want to meet some of you in person on a trip and not just online!

So far, 2013 LR4 (V8), HSE Lux, Voyager rack/ladder/sliders. OE cargo barrier (great for safety and keeping gear tied down). Vlair air source. Traxide dual batt system going in soon. Compomotive PD1880 with Silent Armor Goodyears, 265/65R18. (EO)2 mount system for pelican cases. We use a Kodiak 10x10 canvas tent.
Welcome to the crew, @mbwesner ! really glad to see you! Ya @David_West has been building his rig for quite some time. I've seen it "grow up" over the last couple years, and its a very capable rig! I'm sure he'd be glad to give some tips and pointers!

Again, Welcome!

M

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

^^^ ha! Ok that was funny. Come with us up on the Bald Mountain trip, @Michael Stolz it's not too far from SB....

Last edited:

Wolvee

ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ) ︻デ═一 pew pew
Staff member
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Awesome trucks everyone!

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

My rig was lovingly named Uncle Ruckus by one of my old army buddies, Ruckus is a 1984 Ford Bronco i got in trade for a 4cyl jeep YJ with 398,xxx miles on the original everything, it was SOA on 33s and would go anywhere.... but i needed a bigger rig with a kid on the way and a boat to tow from time to time.

Ruckus is coming along nicely, it had a 6 inch lift and 33s when i got it but soon was upfitted with 5 awesome 37x12.50 BFG baja HMMWV take offs from Trail Worthy Fab in Witchita KS USA. he shipped them right to my door in wonderful 90% tread condition for 150$ a tire. i added some nice 88$ black steel wheels from pro comp to finish it off. I was gifted an 86 F250 4x4 big block gas truck for parts i have nabbed up a few of the below listed mods from that truck and intend to do more.

So in conclusion

"Ruckus"

1984 Ford Bronco XLT

351W

C6 3spd auto

NP208 Tcase

9 Ford rear

D44 TTB

"MODS and goodies"

6 inch suspension lift

37x12.50 BFG BAJA HMMWV tires

warn front winch bumper

LED round spot lights

warn 9000i winch

high lift jack ( have yet to use it )... ever

warn winch accesories kit

1" diameter 30 foot slingshot kenetic recovery rope

3 20 foot 40,000 lb straps

a plethora of various shackles and recovery hardware

a ranch hand rear bumper ( scored from a wrecked superduty )

a 6HP honda powered arc welder with 50 foot of each lead and all the PPE

two large ( foot locker large ) pelican boxes i got in an auction :-D

a 3 drawer tool box with a carefully sorted approx 335 piece set

the biggest best first aid kit i could find

"The list"

12V fridge freezer center console

a bigger better 110v converter

finish building the roof rack w/lights

weld up a brush guard on the warn bumper

weld up a tire/can/highlift gate on the rear bumper

better organizing system for the cargo area while retaining the back seat.

water storage

maxxtraxx

the list goes on

" In tow "

I have not started this project

The plan is using the 8 foot bed of that 86 F250 4x4 as a trailer! it has a nice high top leer camper

I have a small roof mounted a/c i am going to mount on it my little generator/welder will run
when its necessary, ill have two sleeping for the wife and myself, with nice loooong pull out drawers when im done i intend to use for all the creature comfort items like butt wipe, cooking stuffs, bedding, all that jazz. i will mount a water tank just in front of the axle of the trailer, approx 20 to 35 gallons ( we will see) with pump and shower system for us and the dog haha. likely the RV version with a flex hose that is contained in a lockable box on the outside of the rig. ill have to cut a hole in the truck be to mount it but i think its worth it.

Reactions: 9Mike2