Member Rides

• HTML tutorial
D

davidangusw

16751 said:
Killing some time I went through the past entries diggin’ the rigs. I liked a bunch of them. I do have a question: After you wash your rig, which is necessary for vehicle maintenance, do you ever feel bad that others may think you’re a poser?
I don't wash mine too often, but just actually did a couple weeks ago. I bought it two years ago and still have not had it waxed, which I plan on doing very soon to maybe get out some of the big scratches. To answer your question, no, I don't feel bad at all because I don't care what other people think. I often do feel funny having a newer Land Rover because of all the Jeep folks, but in the end, some are nice and some are dingle heads. I think good maintenance is a sign of someone who takes good care of their rig, because there are plenty of people who have the mud/dirt on it just for "show".

Inmused

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Victoria, Australia
Member #

16751 said:
Killing some time I went through the past entries diggin’ the rigs. I liked a bunch of them. I do have a question: After you wash your rig, which is necessary for vehicle maintenance, do you ever feel bad that others may think you’re a poser?
Why would I worry about the people who do not know me and what they think of my vehicle?  My vehicle is what it is.  It is built for a purpose: to get my family and myself out into the world to discover its beauty and build life skills.

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

16751 said:
I wash wax and polish when needed and use sealer. Keeping all my vehicles clean and paint protected. No matter what you do in life someone will find a way to poop on your parade if you let em. But I do what I like, if you dig it cool but if you don't you can pound sand.

Cleaning and detailing your ride is just another way of knowing your vehicle. Bit if you like it dirty sweet.

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

King County, Washington, United States
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Hello everyone,  I've been lurking around the site for a while and finally decided to sign up and introduce myself (and my rigs)

About a year ago I needed to get rid of my 2008 Grand Cherokee for something that had better gas mileage for work.  Not wanting to get to far away from my need to escape and explore, I picked up a new Cherokee Trailhawk.  As this is great for short excursions with just me and the dog, or one person, it doesn't really lend itself for much more that that.

So, I picked up the '06 XK and as a lot of hobbyists and explorers, have gone way over budget buying bits for her...  Hopefully she'll be ready for adventures within the next couple months.

Working my way through this thread has given me all kinds of ideas!

KL Exploring Wenatchee National Forest

XK just beginning... 

deeker

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

SW Ontario, Canada
Member #

Looking forward to seeing the finished product on the Commander.  Those look like they could swallow loads of gear.

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

King County, Washington, United States
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

That's one of the main reasons I went with the XK.  That and the HEMI.

I've already gutted the cargo area.  I'm building a pair of custom drawers for it, and a cubby between it and the rear seats to store all my relay's and radios. (HAM, VHF High Band for SAR, and maybe a CB)

Wolvee

ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ) ︻デ═一 pew pew
Staff member
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

Going back to the beginning and looking at these rides. What a ridiculously diverse group of rigs. Hummers next to Subie's, Troopers and a Troopy, big ol GMC's and Chevys, Cruisers, Rovers, all sorts of Jeeps, all sorts of Toyotas, Vans, little Euro rigs, new stuff, vintage stuff...trailers even. Just cool!

Wolvee

ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ) ︻デ═一 pew pew
Staff member
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

It's Overland Bounds version of It's a Small World at Tragic Kingdom, lol.

I think it's because he started the site with the open arms.  Exploring and fun being the important thing, not the marque de transport.

NorthStar96

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Howdy, New Guy checking in.

I bought a neglected Black 96 L.C. back in Mid May. 244K on the clock.

So far, I've replaced the tires with a new set of 275/70/16 Yokohama Geolandas, spare tire winch, New Brakes front and rear. Powerstop drilled and slotted rotors and EBC green pads. Rebuilt Calipers from Napa, found a set of used OME stock shocks, new steering stabilizer.

I replaced all the fluids in the diffs, transmission, xfer case, and switched to full synthetic mobil one 5/30 oil. I still have to flush out the coolant and replace with new stuff, but im holding off till I get the PHH done. Might as well kill 2 birds....

got a small power steering leak at the from the pump that needs attention. Replaced the battery with a big Type 27 from batteries plus.  Purchased a 30' ARB recovery strap and tree saver, some clevis and a Smittybilt 2781 5.65 CFM air compressor.

Still need a power antenna to replace the non working one that's there. Bought a Yakima Roadwarrior roof rack with a spare tire carrier, Scepter water cans, CB radio and antenna, and a small cheapo portable 12v fridge.

She is running pretty good now. New Cap and rotor with Plug wires were added. Plugs were new.  Getting 12.8 MPG presently. city and hwy driving.

no major issues at this point in time except the 4wd lever is stuck in 4wd high. runs good no probs  but it wont come out of 4high. Ive tried it in Park, neutral, etc. I need to get up there and look at it better. Ive been told that its possible that its rusted and frozen and ill need to take it apart and lube it to free it from the rust.

Looking forward to going on a few Camping trips before the snow flies, and am really looking forward to this winter. Ive heard these FZJ80's are awesome in the snow.

Looks like a good group here to learn from.  NorthStar96

Quantum73

Rank II
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor III

2208 Surrey Drive, Morgantown, WV, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Hoyt
Member #

Hello all.  Posting up my trail rigs.  1993 FZJ80 and 2011 Tacoma.  Top it off with a modded CDN M101 trailer with OzTrail 375 tent.  FZJ80 has the Toyota Rust-Free plan (several oil leaks on the motor lol) but is otherwise an outstanding truck.  I try to do a lot of family camping and both rigs work great with the trailer for that.

Cheers!

pl626

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

McLean, VA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Chen
Member #

Brian - You forgot to mention your FZJ is a great Land Rover Motivator, definitely kept me from getting stuck in the RRC...

Nomad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

1999 Chevy Astro AWD Van Mods
CB Radio and DIY Antenna
VHF Radio and DIY Antenna
Centre console security box
USB FM Music player
Hands Free Blue tooth for smart phone
4"body lift front Plus 2" lift with keys
6"lift rear with custom springs and shackles
Rear Locking Diff Auto locking transfer case 60/40 split
DIY Dual Battery System
120 watts solar panel and charge controller
Pencil Beam AUX lights
Engel Fridge/freezer 40 litre - will run indefinitely on Solar
Wood stove for heat and cooking
Tarp Awnings side and back

Reactions: Arailt and zcg4755

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

@nomad years ago I was living in Central America in a surf town and one of those AWD Astros came bouncing down a damn near impassable muddy dirt track with 8 surfboards on the rack and four grinning travelers. That thing was unstoppable and just plain rad. Cool van.

Nomad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

17394 said:
@nomad years ago I was living in Central America in a surf town and one of those AWD Astros came bouncing down a damn near impassable muddy dirt track with 8 surfboards on the rack and four grinning travelers. That thing was unstoppable and just plain rad. Cool van.
Im pretty happy with it so far it just keeps getting better...