First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Well Howdy!

I mostly joined Overland Bound for the cool metal badge, and to learn where they got those stickers featured on the Zarges website.

I overland, but largely I overland to facilitate my scuba and surfing Hobbies. I'm always tweaking a rig to be the ultimate dive truck that is a competent overlander.

I'm a software engineer currently working on autonomous rockets that deliver sats to low earth orbit.

I'm generally dissatisfied with the state of products in the overlanding industry, and I keep trying to steal time from mechanical engineers to make it better.
I'm here to connect, to relax, and just maybe improve the state of our toys: For instance, how are RSI SmartCap owners satisfied with those crappy compression latches? 6 of them? With the most hackable key ever...never mind- I digress, but maybe I can solve it with a kick starter. Anyway, it'd be cool to connect with builders, mechanical engineers and see if we can't improve things a bit.

Pleased to be here.
Hello, welcome to the OB family.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
New member here. Located in Nebraska and ready to get back into overloading here in the midwest and Rocky Mountains. Im looking for new groups to ride with and bring my family along with as well.

Rigs: 2021 Toyota Sequoia TRD Pro / 2018 Can-Am Defender XMR HD10

Experience: Moderate
Hello Dan, welcome to the OB family and thank you for your service.

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
New member here. Located in Nebraska and ready to get back into overloading here in the midwest and Rocky Mountains. Im looking for new groups to ride with and bring my family along with as well.

Hello Dan, welcome to Overland Bound. Thank you for your service.

Kozysnack

Rank VII
Investor

Expedition Master I

Austin, Travis County, Texas, United States
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Ely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRNX949 is my GMRS, haven't taken my test yet but working on the HAM
Service Branch
USAF BRAT
Vehicle: 2004 Lexus Gx 470
I’m intermittent in Overlanding . I love driving . My friends today even joke with me because of my Mantra “let’s go places” I’m new to this club and I can’t wait to “go places “ with this group.
Welcome to Overland Bound

Reactions: Shahn and Kent R

GreenKoala

Rank III

Advocate I

Ponder, Texas, United States
First Name
Jazmine
Last Name
King
Member #

I’m intermittent in Overlanding . I love driving . My friends today even joke with me because of my Mantra “let’s go places” I’m new to this club and I can’t wait to “go places “ with this group.
Welcome from Los Angeles… I’m new to the group too, and they are very helpful. You in for a great adventure.

Vagrant Forever

Rank IV

Advocate III

Holland, Hunterdon County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Jarred
Last Name
Oberman
Member #

Hey I’m the Vagrant and My Beautiful wife, we will call her The Bird. This is our New to us 2016JKU We had a bad ass Rav 4 that we took on many off-road and on road adventures but hurricane Ida ate her in one bite! We are excited for the upgrade none the less. We are big campers, love our paddle boards (we take em down the Delaware river.) we have two dogs and we need to get some mud in these tires! We are thinking of doing the northern section of the trans Nj Trail this weekend but we are having trouble finding information! Happy Trails. VAGRANT , BIRD

Attachments

GreenKoala

Rank III

Advocate I

First Name
Jazmine
Last Name
King
Member #

Hey, I'm MamaBear! (wife of Stringtwelve, I know, be jealous)

Rig: 2014 Trail Edition 4Runner
Experience: Beginner, co-pilot to Stringtwelve

I'm also a Mama to a 2 year old. Looking to enhance the overlanding experience to include families into the fun! Looking forward to sharing my experience and advice into new overlanding families here on overlandbound.com.
Hello from California

GreenKoala

Rank III

Advocate I

First Name
Jazmine
Last Name
King
Member #

Hey I’m the Vagrant and My Beautiful wife, we will call her The Bird. This is our New to us 2016JKU We had a bad ass Rav 4 that we took on many off-road and on road adventures but hurricane Ida ate her in one bite! We are excited for the upgrade none the less. We are big campers, love our paddle boards (we take em down the Delaware river.) we have two dogs and we need to get some mud in these tires! We are thinking of doing the northern section of the trans Nj Trail this weekend but we are having trouble finding information! Happy Trails. VAGRANT , BIRD
What a story. that’s awesome that you guys are okay and still heading out. Hope you have a good trip, I’m on the west coast.

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Hello John, welcome to Overland Bound.

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Hello Jarred, welcome to both of you to Overland Bound. Try trailsoffroad.com for local trails information, I find their ratings, as far as the difficulty of a trail to be accurate.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the East Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
The closest Member Representative to you is @diabetiktaco
Your Regional Director is @Nomadik Nova
Quick adult & youth Tread Lightly online awareness course.
Online Courses - Tread Lightly
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course
Check out the Overland Expo https://www.OverlandExpo.com

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Don't hesitate to contact your Regional Director @Narbob for help or information.
The closest Member Representative to you for local information is @Barclay (LA) @FrankRoams (OC/SD) & www.Riggedfordirt.com @Dominic OB0158 (Inland Empire)
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Overland Expo West
About WEST — Overland Expo®

Reactions: Shahn

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter

Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in our Rocky Mountain Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Social Media:
RM FB; Facebook Groups
Our Rocky Mountain Regional Director is @Neal A. Tew
The closest Member Representatives to you are @freedomomelet in Nebraska
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.

Reactions: Shahn

Vagrant Forever

Rank IV

Advocate III

First Name
Jarred
Last Name
Oberman
Member #

Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the East Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
The closest Member Representative to you is @diabetiktaco
Your Regional Director is @Nomadik Nova
Quick adult & youth Tread Lightly online awareness course.
Check out the Overland Expo https://www.OverlandExpo.com
Gave them Both a follow! Thank you for the guidance! VAGRANT

Reactions: Kent R and Shahn

KerlerKlan17

Rank IV
Investor

Advocate III

Wind Gap, Northampton County, Pennsylvania, United States
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Kerler
Member #

Welcome Vagrant! Glad to have more Eastern Overlanders here!

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Hello John, welcome to the OB family.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Hello Jarred, welcome to the OB family.

Vagrant Forever

Rank IV

Advocate III

First Name
Jarred
Last Name
Oberman
Member #

I get asked about Bald Eagle State Forest a lot so I figured it was finally time to share one of my more popular ‘loops’.

Bald Eagle State Forest is an amazing place that offers hundreds of miles of forest roads that range from perfectly groomed gravel to bonafide trails. Scenic overlooks, hiking, campground or very dispersed camping, genuine solitude, etc.. Cell service is spotty at the absolute best so just plan on not having it anywhere in the forest, that includes main roads. It’s easily one of my favorite places to visit.

Here’s the information one would need if you wanted to camp there.

Camping at Bald Eagle State Forest

The routes include both trails and forest roads. The trails are typically very tight so you can expect pinstripes. They are not overly difficult and can be traversed by just about anything with 4WD, AT tires, and good clearance because it is very rocky there and the ruts can get deep. Even when it’s dry out you can expect to hit water and due to the tightness on the trails turning around typically isn’t an option. The main loop is 82 miles with the other files being bypasses for the more difficult sections and is intended to be run in a clockwise direction. The bypasses aren’t 100% boring though as they run by scenic overlooks. They’re a great option when you need to make some time, are concerned about the difficulty, or simply want to look at a large untouched area of Pennsylvania. Lastly, I would strongly encourage anyone in the area to stop by Elk Creek Cafe for food, beer, or live music. It’s a fantastic place.

Elk Creek Cafe | Eat Fresh. Drink Local. Hear Great Music.

Theres a lot to see throughout BESF and an excellent tool to have with you is a Purple Lizard map. I have a handful of their maps and I'd recommend them to anyone.

Bald Eagle Lizard Map, Pennsylvania

I rarely take many pictures but these should give you at least some idea. They’re all old but they’re something haha.

View attachment 84915 View attachment 84916 View attachment 84917 View attachment 84918 View attachment 84919
Invaluable thank you