• HTML tutorial

tkt0912

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Space Coast, Florida
Member #

Hi all,

Just got back from a test run with my recently rebuilt baja bug. Had a blast with the family! Anyway, it's set up with a big rack, nearly the size of a truck bed. We like going on longer trips, and looking to get together with a good group of like-minded people.

From San Diego area
'69 baja bug
'06 Tacoma
Lots of both camping and off road experience, just never termed it as "overlanding."
Hi all,

Just got back from a test run with my recently rebuilt baja bug. Had a blast with the family! Anyway, it's set up with a big rack, nearly the size of a truck bed. We like going on longer trips, and looking to get together with a good group of like-minded people.

From San Diego area
'69 baja bug
'06 Tacoma
Lots of both camping and off road experience, just never termed it as "overlanding."
Welcome!!!!

tkt0912

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Space Coast, Florida
Member #

Hey y’all! New member here. From the Vine grove KY area. Been camping all my life , bought a 07 JkU a few years back and have since gotten into overlanding (still fairly new).
Done a few trips trough the gorge area (mostly camping) and a few trips through pisgah and unaka (first real overlanding experience) . Love exploring new places with new people .Love the great out doors and sites that God has blessed us with.
Would love to get to know you guys and the community !
Welcome to OB!!!!

Radknightranger

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Chicago, IL
Member #

I'm Nate and live in the Chicago area. I picked up a M1009 (essentially a diesel '84 Blazer with a few differences), and have been working on it to get it to suit our needs since then. It is going to be a family exploration rig for camping or canoeing, and a fun grocery getter. I had not heard of Over landing until recently, but I think that fits with what we are looking to do. If anyone knows any good trails or routes in the Midwest I would love to hear about it. I'm still getting aquainted with the site so maybe I'll stumble across some maps!
Nate,

Whatsup Buddy we are neighbors. I'm from and live in Chicago. Let's meet up for coffee this weekend if you're not too busy. Im currently shopping for an M998 myself.

Radknightranger

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Chicago, IL
Member #

Hello all,
My wife and two sons (8 & 10 yo) and dog are seasoned "Car Campers" and we upgraded to a 2017 4Runner TRD Off Road about a month ago to enable us to go to more remote areas across the U.S. and carry more stuff. We like hiking, camping and small watercraft exploration, which we now plan to do more often since we have a hitch on the 4Runner! We're in Chicago's western suburbs and have camped all over the midwest and in Yellowstone. So much more to explore and we are planning a trip to Colorado towards the end of the year. As far as experience at off roading we are novice level. Fire roads and the trail to a family cabin are as technical as we've got in this new rig. Do Chicago's potholes count?

Thanks for having us.
BobView attachment 31041
Hey Whatsup Buddy, we're neighbors. Let's get together and have coffee this weekend if you're not too busy.

Reactions: RAngone

Radknightranger

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Chicago, IL
Member #

Hey everyone! My name is Steve and I have been backpacking and 4wheeling my entire life, so I decided to take this overloading as a hobby. I have had a couple vehicles, but only my Jeep have I done long trips in. I had a 1998 Range Rover that had coil suspension and roof rack and a winch. And I have had my Jeep Liberty for 9 years and it has done me well. Not very powerful compared to the V8s I've had, but it is fun. It has a 4" lift kit with OME and Bilstein shocks, ARB bumper with XRC8, HID lights, custom rock rails and roof rack, interior rack (soon to be modified) - ARB a/c, Safari Snorkel and a kick ass sound system...well it was years ago lol. I've currently got Hurcules tires that a shop in Flagstaff recommended and gave me a killer deal, so I'll wear these out, but I'll most likely get duratracs again. It's had a engine replaced at 48k and just recently the transmission got rebuilt and all new mounting hardware for it and engine mounts, but that is due to it having 150k and living in Chicago from road salt and mountain driving in Flagstaff (and all around the surrounding areas.)

Went to Overland Expo West this year and got some goodies and ideas. Saw the booth and decided to sign up while I could.

The things I want to add in the future are 4 lift blocks for my rear shelf and then create a rear storage unit (one drawer and one flip up cargo bay) I want it high enough to take panels out to sleep in the rig. No need for a fridge, I have a Yeti that is fine for my needs. Potential rear bumper w/ swing out tire carrier, jerry can mount, and with an antenna mount somewhere near a taillight (multiple failed cb mounts, living in the midwest and wheeling at terrain parks ripped off my cb multiple times) And I might pull the trigger on a Tepui RTT, depends if i can find a used or just pay the cost!

Rig - 2003 Jeep Liberty w/ stuff (these are older photos, will post newer ones soon)

I currently live in Flagstaff, Az. Moving down to Phoenix soon for less than a year. Then we will see where work brings me! Hopefully Chicagoland area.

I've gone on a few solo trips in the Tonto Nat Forest, out near the North Kiabab and in Western Moab area. But I have been on multiple backpacking trips that ranged from 3-25 days/nights. A lot of experience with map reading, route creation, food prep/dehydration and have outdoor certifications as well. Love facilitating to the group, here for the fun!

I'll post pictures here and there. Might be asking questions later on with drawers and what kind of slides to use for weight, etc.

Regards,

Steve
Hey Steve,

I'm from and currently live in Chicago but I've traveled all over and lived in a few other places. Let me know whenever you are in the midwest and we'll have lunch or coffee sometime. I also plan on making it this year to Flagstaff for 2018 expo west so maybe we can link up. Also I have quite a few colleagues in Phoenix and am travelling there this June so, there's that. Anyways glad to meet you.

Reactions: H3Coyote

Radknightranger

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Chicago, IL
Member #

What’s going on y’all? I’m Kyle and I’m from Mobile, Al

My Rig/Daily is a 2001 Jeep TJ

I’d say I’m a beginner “Overlander” but am experienced outdoorsman/ camper. Can’t wait to hit the road and trails! Hope to see and meet great people along the way.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Sweet TJ! I really like those lights, What kind are they?

Last edited:
Reactions: H3Coyote

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

I’d say I’m a beginner “Overlander” but am experienced outdoorsman/ camper. Can’t wait to hit the road and trails! Hope to see and meet great people along the way.

Hi Kyle and welcome to OB! Nice looking TJ! Safe travels and enjoy those open roads!

TimelapseYYC

Rank 0

Traveler I

Calgary
188F582A-103A-45CB-8E8E-D2577F2C7775.jpeg Hello, I am from Calgary, Alberta

I would love to learn new trails to explore and get into overlanding more. I have moderate off-roading experience nothing to tricky as I am usually out on my own, lots of Mclean creek, and around crowsnrst castle pluz area.
I am a photographer so getting out to shoot would be great.
I drive a 2011 Tacoma sb with some upgrades suspension icon stage 3 kit.

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

View attachment 46728 Hello, I am from Calgary, Alberta

I would love to learn new trails to explore and get into overlanding more. I have moderate off-roading experience nothing to tricky as I am usually out on my own, lots of Mclean creek, and around crowsnrst castle pluz area.
Hi TimelapseYYC and welcome to OB! Nice looking Tacoma! Really like the pic! Safe travels and enjoy those open roads!

Reactions: TimelapseYYC

Gregory Youngblood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Alamogordo, NM
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Youngblood
Member #

Hi and welcome. Great shot. Beautiful location and sky.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using OB Talk mobile app

18Runner

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

San Diego, CA 92127
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Pascucci
Member #

Greetings from a new member. I’m in the process of modifying a 2018 4Runner TRD ORP (white) to my perfect Overlander. Experienced car camper with modest off-roading experience but I consider myself a newbie at overlanding and am looking to learn how to live/camp out of the 4runner for a week without lugging a houseful of gear every time. I’m based in San Diego. Looking forward to being part of this great forum.

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

Greetings from a new member. I’m in the process of modifying a 2018 4Runner TRD ORP (white) to my perfect Overlander. Experienced car camper with modest off-roading experience but I consider myself a newbie at overlanding and am looking to learn how to live/camp out of the 4runner for a week without lugging a houseful of gear every time. I’m based in San Diego. Looking forward to being part of this great forum.
Hi 18Runner and welcome to OB! Nice looking 4Runner! Safe travels and enjoy those open roads!

BaldGuyBrigade

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Portland, Or
Member #

Greetings from Portland,Or. I have a moderate amount of experience in most of the off-road genres. I’ve decided to focus on overlanding since we are a family of avid campers and I simply can’t resist a dirt trail that disappears into the trees. My rig is a 2015 Toyota Tacoma DCLB which when I purchased it I tried to convince my self I would keep stock. My goal is to find ideas for trips, and maybe some folks to do them with.

Dayle Fields

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Poland, Indiana
Member #

Welcome Kyle, nice TJ but those poles don't look like much of a challenge for your rig lol nice Jeep.

Sent from my SM-N950U using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Kyle Phillips

Dayle Fields

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Poland, Indiana
Member #

Welcome Alberta, that's an awesome photo looks like your well on your way.

Sent from my SM-N950U using OB Talk mobile app

Dayle Fields

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Poland, Indiana
Member #

Welcome! Your 4Runner should be a blast to outfit. Used to backpack camp everything for 5 days on my back just taking only what was needed you have plenty of room for some comforts lol.

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

Greetings from Portland,Or. I have a moderate amount of experience in most of the off-road genres. I’ve decided to focus on overlanding since we are a family of avid campers and I simply can’t resist a dirt trail that disappears into the trees. My rig is a 2015 Toyota Tacoma DCLB which when I purchased it I tried to convince my self I would keep stock. My goal is to find ideas for trips, and maybe some folks to do them with.

Hi BaldGuyBrigade and welcome to OB! Nice looking Tacoma! Safe travels and enjoy those open roads!

Rome Callen

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hey! welcome! I too have a 02 Xterra. I recently have added an ARB bumper but I had not been able to find images to help decide so I took a View attachment 46609 few pics to possibly help others figure out what they want. I don't think i'm going to lift it but i am going to put some heavy duty shocks on(when it warms up). I wish i could do all the mods in one weekend but...

View attachment 46607 View attachment 46608

Rig is looking sweet! I wish I had the scratch at the moment for an ARB or Shrockworks but maybe someday! Definitely also gonna put some new shocks on and do the 'ol PML once the weather turns as well. What kind of shocks were you planning on getting?