Phil
Last Name
Preston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4LET
Service Branch
First Responder
Hello everyone, nice to "meet" lots of like-minded people. Following on the theory of go big or go home... we bought HERMTT the HEMTT last summer after researching and viewing trucks all over the world. We're currently global nomads so don't get as much time in the truck as we would like but will spend the summer traveling the Western US and doing some projects on the truck prior to taking it down to Central America.

Our main truck is a 1983 Oshkosh HEMTT that was converted into a Heavy Expedition truck. We ultimately plan to live in the truck full time so we needed something that was big enough to accommodate all of our gear plus be self-sustaining for a couple weeks at a time. Despite appearances, the truck is relatively simple to work on... everything is just 2-4x size! The truck is not made for rock crawling (obviously) though it does great in the sand, really bad roads, river crossings, etc. Upcoming projects are an upfit of the electrical system (more solar panels, wiring the truck engine into the house batteries, etc.) as well as interior remodel. Instagram for those interested: https://www.instagram.com/hermtthemtt/

The truck is in the Seattle area at the moment. We are currently in Amsterdam, Netherlands after spending some time skiing in the alps. Tomorrow I head to Australia while the wife heads to London before we come back to the US in April to take the truck out.

We are moderately experienced overlanders having journeyed through North America, Europe, Morocco, and South Africa. There is always more to learn though... especially as evidenced by my burying my bakkie up to its axles on a beach in South Africa (photo evidence below).
Welcome to OB, and let me say that is an amazing rig!

Reactions: HERMTT

Sandbox714

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Fenton,mi
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Lund
Member #

Ahoy! Hi everyone (whats up)

My name is Ben, 25, Novice overlander.

Experience: Novice

Rig: not one yet, plans for FJ (FJ Crew, Sir)

Current vehicles:
1984 300TD Turbo Diesel Wagon (S123)
1994 E320 Wagon (S124)
2008 R350 4Matic (W251)

I look forward to engaging in discussions and learning from everyone! From what I have gathered so far, this community is filled with good people, good dudes and lots of diversity and respect. I look to learn more and much. See you guys around!!

Climb to Glory,

Shonubi
WELCOME. Just joined myself . So many knowledgeable and genuine people here. Lots and lots of knowledge from a great bunch of people willing to share. ENJOY

SidneyK

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Queens, NY
Member #

Hello from Queens, NYC.

Name here is Sidney. After 2 years of doing some beach fishing on the shores on Long Island, we decided to trade in our 2011 Rav4 V6 for a 2017 4Runner Limited. The Rav4 was capable, but what a difference when it comes to driving on sand.

We didn't plan to limit our outings to shore fishing, so we started looking into off-road trails and camping. After several months of searching on-line, sadly there isn't much being offered in the NYC/Long Island area. And this is why we are here on this forum today. With the help of this forum, we are hoping we learn about any local adventures. I don't plan to do any insane rock crawling, but looking forward to drive off the common path to explorer and enjoy what nature has to offer.

And when I say we, I am referring to myself, wife and the two kids (5 and 7 years old). So any info on family gatherings is much welcomed.

Thanks.

-Sidney

AZBubs

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Tan Valley, AZ
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7BHP
Hello!

My wife and I have been going to the Overland expo for several years mainly just to look at cool stuff and escape the heat down in the AZ valley. Then we realized “hey, this obviously interests us and we are always talking about getting out so let’s stop the talk and DO!”

I’ve also watched the youtube channel for lots of tips and inspiration. I decided to join because we are starting to move on from build phase and getting out more, and further. Wanted to be part of community that has a wealth of knowledge and knows the hidden gems to camp at.

Experience: Semi-noob

Rig: 2000 Toyota 4Runner Highland Edition. Build in progress.

And of course Pics!
IMG_3020.JPGIMG_3013.JPGphoto.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Maaark

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hello from Sydney, Australia.

I have seen a fair bit about Overland Bound on YouTube and other places, so thought it would be neat to join up.

I have grown up always car camping and getting bush as much as possible. I currently own a 2013 FJ Cruiser and have been in the process of setting it up for extended camping and off roading (fridge, slide out solar on roof, dual batteries, water tanks, showering, awning, custom drawers and table, air compressor, camp lights, etc).

Anyways, here are some pictures.

Aussie571

Local Expert, Australia NSW

Builder II

Hillvue NSW, Australia
First Name
Adrian
Last Name
Altona
Member #

I have seen a fair bit about Overland Bound on YouTube and other places, so thought it would be neat to join up.

I have grown up always car camping and getting bush as much as possible. I currently own a 2013 FJ Cruiser and have been in the process of setting it up for extended camping and off roading (fridge, slide out solar on roof, dual batteries, water tanks, showering, awning, custom drawers and table, air compressor, camp lights, etc).

Hi Maaark welcome from Tamworth NSW!

Sent from my SM-T580 using OB Talk mobile app

Roverx

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hello Everyone,
On several forum boards but new to this one. Located in Nashville and always happy to help or lend a hand to locals or travelers. Current trucks: completeing a new build 1969 Land Rover 300 tdi hybrid. Hope to have it up and running by the Fall. Also working with my 18yr old son to complete his first build. 1995 Range Rover Classic soft dash 300tdi 5 speed. We are leaving in 5 weeks for a two week trip to moab and Utah back country. We expect to cover just over 4K miles during the trip. Looking forward to getting to know members of this community.

Traveler I

Hello everyone,
My name is Jacob, 24, and I'm new to whole idea of over-landing. I love the idea and would like to get into doing it. Now a little back ground on me. I am outdoor person growing up on a horse farm in a very rural area (20 minutes to a gas station and at least a hour to a major town) of south MS. I hunt, fish, ride four-wheelers, and work on vehicles/tractors like typically southern guy does growing up. I got into college met a girl and we got married with hopes of living out in the country again after I finished school but unfortunately the current job is in Memphis, TN. Which is a real bumper for my wife and me both being farm kids. We saw the Expedition Overland on YouTube and got our eyes open to this world and both wanting to get into it. Any suggestions on how to work our way into doing it? And is there anything close to this area to go check out and camp at for the weekend? I would love to jump head deep in but being a newly college grad puts a hurting on the pocket book.

The current rig is a '01 Super Duty (pictures below) but if the stars line up correctly I will be adding a new '18 Tacoma TRD Pro to the rig collection to be able to do some trails with later this year.

Looking forward to seeing new places and meeting y'all!

Attachments

Hank Outdoors

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Robertson County, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Sean Hank
Last Name
Haney
Member #

Hey all, name's Cole, never been really good at introducing myself SO i'll just follow the basic format for now

Rig: 2005 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift, 30" tires, just added trailering equipment
Overlanding Experience Background: I'd venture to say more novice than anything, have gone camping and whatnot all my life, multiple road trips, even wheel frequently.
Welcome to OB Cole!!!

Reactions: v12mountain

PW2018

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hey guys. Pretty new to the overlanding scene but have been out exploring a few times now. We’re based out of Red Deer Alberta and we have a 1990 Jeep XJ and a 2018 Power Wagon. The XJ is built pretty well but needs a few more things to be the rig I want. The PW is bone stock but is a beast.

Attachments

Grunt

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Gulf Breeze, FL
Member #

Greetings! New OB member out of Northwest Florida (Pensacola).
I've only recently began focusing on overlanding despite owning my third wrangler, so I would say I'm a novice at best!
having recently moved to this area, I'm looking forward to getting out there and seeing what the Southeast region has to offer!

Aussie571

Local Expert, Australia NSW

Builder II

Hillvue NSW, Australia
First Name
Adrian
Last Name
Altona
Member #

Hey guys. Pretty new to the overlanding scene but have been out exploring a few times now. We’re based out of Red Deer Alberta and we have a 1990 Jeep XJ and a 2018 Power Wagon. The XJ is built pretty well but needs a few more things to be the rig I want. The PW is bone stock but is a beast.
Welcome....Nice XJ!
I'm in NSW Australia and drive a 03 Overland WJ!

Sent from my SM-T580 using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: T-88

jseamanav

Rank 0

Traveler I

Good Evening All, Jonathan from Greensboro NC here. Don't have any good pictures of my rig yet as I'm just getting into Overlanding. Currenlty have a 1994 4runner v6 with auto trans. Sits on 33 inch AT's and only modification so far is a Awning mounted to the roof rack for the beach. Have really been wanting to get into Overlanding so I can do things with my family and experience the great outdoors with good people. I really look forward to meeting members and becoming part of a community.

v12mountain

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Bowie, Maryland
First Name
Benjamin
Last Name
Shonubi
Member #

+ Dude, way awesome. Inspiration!

John~SWNM

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Las Cruces, New Mexico, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Holloway
Member #

100_2410.JPG Hello everyone from Southern New Mexico (Las Cruces)

I am John, my wife & I get out into the outdoors & wilderness as often as our schedules allow. I have been into vehicle based camping for many,many years, probably before anyone coined the term "overlanding". Our first vehicle was my old street-legal rock-crawler 1980 Jeep CJ-5. As you can imagine with a cooler full of steaks & beer, a tent, a couple backpacks and 3 medium sized dogs we quickly ran out of cargo space, although it has amazing off-road capability. A couple years after we were married I got a 2004 Jeep Liberty which preformed well. I upgraded it with a roof rack, BFG KM-2's and a frankenstein lift which honestly is the absolute worst suspenion I have ever had in a vehicle. In 2012 the Libertys engine came apart with only only 140,000 miles on it.

We then bought our 2006 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport. It has some basic mods such as 2.5 inch lift, 33 inch BFG KM-2's, a cargo rack & rock sliders I built myself and a TJM bumper that I had to modify for proper fit. Many more builds for it, like a rear bumper with swing -out tire & Jerry can carrier, coming in the future.

Our next big trip is coming up over Memorial Day week, crossing New Mexico south to north over 80% unpaved trails/roads.

Last edited:

OverlandGoGA

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Smyrna GA
Member #

Hello !

Being somewhat new to overlanding; most of my information has been come from YouTube videos. Last year after some research, I found a steal on a local southern owned 2002 Toyota LandCruiser with 248k miles on it; then picked up a MorrisMule trailer and roof top tent over the winter. LandCruiser upgrades so far are an Old Man Emu 2.5 lift, plus new ARB bumper with Warn winch.

I have three beautiful kids that spend way too much time in front of a screen and love the idea of getting outdoors more with and sometimes without them.
Located in Atlanta GA
Best,
Dale
IMG_2547.jpg IMG_6293.jpg

alexstoddart

Rank I

Enthusiast I

scotland
Hi everyone! My names Alex and I'm based in Aberdeenshire, Scotland. Currently driving a 2012 isuzu dmax which I'm modifying slowly. Started with some tuff torque steel rims and some 245/75r16 bfg ko2's after that came a 2" lift front and back, I needed some sort of cover for the back so I went with a soft tri-fold for now and I just fitted a front runner slimline 2 rack last week!IMG_20180101_200024_496.jpg20170901_111409.jpg20180307_155134.jpg20180307_170340.jpg