Medical Emergencies.

• HTML tutorial

Brendan_McCormick

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hi everyone.
Some recent conversation had me wondering... Has anyone encountered any medical issues, either emergency or not so critical, while out on trail? I'm a nurse in my day to day life. I have other training that would help me out. I like to think that I'm well prepared, but what happens if I go down and I'm with others..
What do folks have with them in terms of supplies? Have you looked into other education that could help? I can say from experience though that rule number one is keeping calm. That's your biggest ally.

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Until recently I was an EMT with a volunteer fire department. I have a decently stocked medical bag with supplies that are within my scope of practice. If I'm going off road for more than a day, I prefer to go with other vehicles. I'm also looking into getting my HAM licence in the event there is no cell coverage. Unfortunately, most people I know aren't willing to go through any training, formal or informal.

RescueRangers

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fleming Island, Fl
Member #

The wife is a critical care nurse so we the education side covered as long as she is with me. We keep a good first aide kit in the Jeep but a recent injury (that would be me) proved we need to update and invest in a more complete kit.

We haven't run into any emergencies on the trails as of yet, but have run into several vehicle accidents on paved roads.

RescueRangers

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fleming Island, Fl
Member #

Personally I have taken a Wilderness and Remote first aid class. This class is design to teach people to stabilize someone for up to 72 hrs till help can arrive. Never needed it yet but I run on the theory of better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it
I think Warn Winch has the best motto for our hobby, "Go Prepared". Be it camp gear, food, water, fuel, and especially medical, its best to have too much (training or supplies) than not enough.

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I focused a lot on first aid as a boy scout and have kept up to date on my CPR. Although it isn't back country, I tend to be the one who shows up at accident scenes before EMTs. When I was 17 I found a motorcycle passenger who lost consciousness and fell off the back of the bike on a canyon road. I administered first aid as best I could with what little I had in the car and stuck with her all the way to the helicopter. There were some more minor wrecks, I couldn't another back roads motorcycle crash on a group ride (fortunately he was fully geared up). The worst was a semi truck crash on a major interchange and I had to hell extract the driver from a partially crushed cab hanging off an 80 ft. bridge. Head trauma was the bad one there and I had a small drug store kit in my car to work with. That's when I realized being in a major city was no guarantee of quick EMT response and I started assembling what is now a fairly comprehensive kit.

Reactions: Outer Limit Supply

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Hi everyone.
Some recent conversation had me wondering... Has anyone encountered any medical issues, either emergency or not so critical, while out on trail? I'm a nurse in my day to day life. I have other training that would help me out. I like to think that I'm well prepared, but what happens if I go down and I'm with others..
What do folks have with them in terms of supplies? Have you looked into other education that could help? I can say from experience though that rule number one is keeping calm. That's your biggest ally.
@Brendan_McCormick Take a look at @stringtwelve 's first aid post in the Boot Camp section of the forum, and see if there are suggestions you might add, change, or improve on.
Overland Safety Kit: Part I - The First-Aid Kit

suburban2012

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Fresno CA
Member #

definitely a basic BLS class is a must for everyone, and the HAM license for anyone far from a cell signal is a great idea or a Sat phone. I feel you can have all the training the world, but you must have a way to communicate with the outside to get real help.

Reactions: Brendan_McCormick

Brendan_McCormick

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

@Brendan_McCormick Take a look at @stringtwelve 's first aid post in the Boot Camp section of the forum, and see if there are suggestions you might add, change, or improve on.
Overland Safety Kit: Part I - The First-Aid Kit
Great post!
That large Mountain Series kit is the exact same one that I carry . I have some additions to it, like upgraded CPR masks, syringes, etc. I like what one of the folks had said about developing some videos or education from some with a medical background on here. I'd be up for something perhaps.
@suburban2012 i totally agree about comms!

Reactions: Outer Limit Supply