Launch Member

Pathfinder I

West Haven, Utah
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Horting
Member #

Guess its time I fill out my vehicle description thread.
It's an 06 I bought new in '07, S model, auto.
Just bought primarily as a daily driver to quit driving the F350 so much.

Found a couple of Xterra forums and started reading up, and it's been downhill ever since for my wallet and savings account!

I first started off with a PRG advanced coilover kit (radflo coilovers, UCA's, AAL's, bilstein rear shocks) and built some sliders. What an upgrade from the stock suspension!!

Then a rear bumper followed.

Then a front bumper build & some skid plates.

Lights, wiring, etc

Diff cover

Another new bumper with some subtle upgrades and backup lights this time.

Stayed pretty much the same for the most part for several years. More gear, full skids, more gear... Well used and enjoyed

A snorkel somewhere in there

Then the coilovers got worn out and leaked out the oil, so what to do at this point?
Rebuild or really REBUILD??

Figured it was time to do the TITAN SWAP as it's referred in xterra forums.
Unbelievably, all the front suspention and diff from a titan truck will bolt up to an xterra or frontier.
Wider stance by nearly 3" and with a good coilover and aftermarket UCA, almost doubling wheel travel to near 11".

Brand new M205 front diff, CV's, LCA's tie rod ends, Braided brake lines, Rough country UCA's and new Radflo remote reservoir coilovers made for the titan swap.

Rear end got an almost brand new M226 (dana 44 variant e-locker rear), Alcan springs 3" lift, #450 heavier rating, Custom tuned FOX remote reservoir shocks, U-bolt flip kit, HD aluminum diff cover, Timbren bumpstops & relocated brake line mounts.

Well used old suspension components coming out

Some new stuff going in and frame all cleaned up and repainted.

Added radflo hydraulic bumpstops to the front along with limiting straps to finish it all off.

Rear all put together and checking flex.

Last edited:

Maxterra

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

West Haven, Utah
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Horting
Member #

Rolled out of the shop and ready for a test drive. Just loving the stance now.

A new rear cargo shelf build

Viair OBA setup for tires and ARB front locker operation.

I gotta say, this upgrade was the best thing I ever did.
The ride is incredible, especially as I don't drive to slow in the desert.....
Goes absolutely anywhere I want it to go fully locked. 2" body lift, changing to 4:56 gearing and 35's next. Did I say it rides incredible?? :-)

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

Anybody with an X knows Maxterra bumpers :-)

You do 2nd Gen Fronty armor yet!?!

Maxterra

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

West Haven, Utah
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Horting
Member #

Thank you Mad and Maktruk :sunglasses:
No other armor stuff out yet. Fully maxed out on hours in the week already with the two jobs. Main job is really changing and may go away, so I might be into the armor biz full time ...

Oh, I also have a GOBI roof ladder there on the back that I got in a group buy. I think the only piece I didn't make?

Then I built some new drop in roof trays for the xterra roof rails.

Added a rear warning strobe bar

Came out with a new gas can carrier model rear bumper and after several tries to get one done for myself (always ended up using it to fill an order) got one for ME!
Added axe/shovel mounts behind the tire and the LED marker lights in the swingarm. Working exceptionally well!

Then, in anticipation of the body lift, a new front bumper with adjustable mounts as the old one was welded up solid and I didn't want to cut up and re-do (but I really loved that bumper!:tearsofjoy:).

Built in LED pod lighting and daytime running light LED's in the wings.
Replaced the synthetic winch line and went with a flatlink this time (much cleaner).

Added VLED's switchback turn signal/marker light LED's and man, are they bright! You can almost drive with them at night if you don't hook up the dimmer wire to the headlights to tone them down at night.

Got the bumper in a little tighter and higher this time, though I never really had any problems with it before.

Finally got a CVT Mt Bayley RTT for it on the cyber Monday sale. Works awesome as I used it a couple of weeks ago. So fast to setup/teardown.

Just ordered an ARB fridge, so I've got to get that setup to go with a dual battery system & national Luna controls. Also the new 180A alternator from Ruggedrocks.
Other things... Ham Radio, awning, LED roof lighting, more maxtrax, continue to add to my camping gear & organization.
Just seems to never end!

Last edited:

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

I got RockyMtnX slated to be installed on the front, currently rocking White Knuckle sliders, and armor Nirvana would be a Maxterra rear bumper ;-)

Reactions: Dunco and SLO Rob

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I have some of MaxTerra's stuff on my rig (sliders, and two variations of the rear bumper). Really top-notch engineering and construction, I've seen only part of his design process and he is one of the most thorough fabricators I've met.

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

2nd
Gen
Fronty

ClubFrontier would explode

It'll have to be our little secret...

Last edited:

Maxterra

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

West Haven, Utah
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Horting
Member #

^^^ Can't say either way right now. See what happens to my day job next few months.
If it goes away, be adding a lot of products then.

Reactions: maktruk

Maxterra

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

West Haven, Utah
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Horting
Member #

So I have the ARB fridge now. Gotta get a slide built for the rear and get it mounted.
Yaesu FT-2900 HAM radio & antenna. Gotta get back to studying for the license.
Waiting on the new 180a alternator. Need to order the National Luna dual battery system & Odyssey batteries.
Lots more wiring to do.
Thinking of going with a switchpros lighting control http://switchpros.com/
Need to order the 40" LEd light bar for the roof & perimeter lighting LED's..

Going to be a very busy spring!

Maxterra

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

West Haven, Utah
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Horting
Member #

Got my Aurora 40" 10w elements hybrid light bar on. Also the switchpros controller hooked up last week.
Gotta say, the controller is awesome! So many different programming options, and the blink/strobe option is fun.
Ran a group of 14 across the desert all day, with pretty heavy dust. All those with leds, you could see them (Amber or white) ,whereas incandescent couldn't cut thru. The said the strobe really caught the attention.

Got four 18 watt floods to put on the side of the new roof tray, and I think I'm going to get this flood bar/Amber strobe for the back for dust light/rear lighting
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/specialty-high-power-led-spot-lights/18-off-road-led-light-bar-with-integrated-amber-led-strobe-light-head/2056/4282/

Except for rock lights, I'll be done.

(1st Pic by JtaoJ)

Still waiting on the alternator from RuggedRocks, but the new batch is in process.
Then on to the upgraded charging system and batteries.

Reactions: TreXTerra