Launch Member

Pathfinder I

West Haven, Utah
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Horting
Member #

I believe so. Rears by the rear bumper. Possibly a set in the center, as I bought 3 sets.

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

I could see those being awesome for bed lighting in my Fronty. Do you wire them all to one switch thru a giant relay or what?

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I could also see plating between a couple of the slider rails at the back and fitting the light up in there, it would be protected and angle outward.

Maxterra

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

West Haven, Utah
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Horting
Member #

I could see those being awesome for bed lighting in my Fronty. Do you wire them all to one switch thru a giant relay or what?
I don't yet know what the current draw is on them, but I'm pretty sure it will be quite low.
A good quality rocker switch can handle 20 amps so I'm pretty sure this won't need a relay.
I already have an output on my switchpros.com lighting control slated for it.

Bob

Rank III

Advocate II

I just read your build thread for the first time, you have some awesome fabrication skills. Love the bumpers.

Maxterra

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

West Haven, Utah
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Horting
Member #

Thanks Bob!
Got my side lights on the rack last weekend. Waiting for the rear lights to arrive. Then install the rock lights and finish up the wiring!

Got the new 180a alternator, natl Luna system and odyssey batteries to install next.

Reactions: Bob

Maxterra

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

West Haven, Utah
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Horting
Member #

It's been awhile since I've updated my thread.
Had a pile of parts built up since last year, but no time to ever work on my own rig as I'm always building stuff for everyone else....

4:56 gear sets, CSF aluminum radiator, DC Power 180amp alternator from RuggedRocks. National Luna dual battery system. Air horn (got OBA, why not). ARB rear diff cover, 2" body lift, all4offroad rock lights to complete the Switchpros lighting controller. Some new rocker switches.

Pulled out both diffs to go to the shop for regear and then do the body lift.

Cut back the front fenders to clear 35's as the 33's just barely cleared. Wanted to keep the plastic fender inner liners and retain the inner fender lip for strength and to reattach the inner fender to.
Marking and cutting to blend the lip into the existing lip on top.

Used a pneumatic panel flanger tool to get a clean line formed so I can form it in.

Bend line formed and starting bend with lineman pliers and then switching over to hammer and dolly to finish the bend.

Finished product cleaned up, epoxy prime red and awaiting a band of bed liner over the fenders and down the rockers as they're so sandblasted.

Maxterra

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

West Haven, Utah
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Horting
Member #

Changed out the alternator while the front diff was out, and it was still pretty tight on space to work in.
Installed new radiator.

Air horns just barely squeezed into the dash.

Cleaned up and repainted everything while I was at it and replaced a lot of fasteners.

Maxterra

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

West Haven, Utah
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Horting
Member #

Reinstalled front diff and rear axle, reconnected everything. Cleaned up the back end too.

Mounted up new duratracs to check flex and clearance on fenders.

Fully stuffed on the bumpstops [emoji106]

Replaced the bad abs sensor plug giving me problems.

Still need to change the other side.

When doing body lift and removing air box, found the snorkel pipe was off the snork at the elbow. Wondered what was rattling behind the dash coming back on last trip. Resealed and put a screw through the elbow this time

Rock lights on rear bumper

Rock lights in middle

Last edited:

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
@Maxterra
I am going to do the alternator upgrade in the near future. Why DC Power over Mean Green?
and
What product did you use to paint your frame?

Maxterra

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

West Haven, Utah
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Horting
Member #

@Mad Garden Gnome,
Personal preference I guess. Steevo at Rugged Rocks where I bought the alternator from, I hold his opinion and knowledge in pretty high regard and he's all about the quality stuff.
On the frame, I use a small 2" cup brush in a die grinder to clean everything off the frame, usually back to steel. Then krylon primer and the new anti-rust gloss black paint. Lasts at least a year thru the winter. Then I'll touch it up again as needed in the spring.

Maxterra

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

West Haven, Utah
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Horting
Member #

Utah Xterra Owners Club run to the Uinta Mountains 7/2/2016

Got a good group of our local Utah X'ers together for for an all day run thru the North slope of the Uinta mountains, and up into Wyoming and back.
Myself, Rob (IM1RU), Don (donkungfu), Pete (Hedge), Dallon, Jeff (JtaoJ) and all our wives made up the group.

Meeting point was in Coalville, UT in the morning.
Then up chalk Creek rd several miles and stop at the SW corner of the Wyo border and air down.

Constantly climbing in elevation all the way.

Several water crossings along the way that are a lot of fun..

19.photobucket.com/albums/tt280/maxterra/2016/Uintas%2007022016/IMG_3823__zpslib40qrp.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Stop in the forest for a quick break