Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1PHT
Hey everyone,

I've been familiarizing myself with the website and forums, but haven't seen any regarding meet and greets. Are there any established groups that meet regularly here in MA?

Do you still use those of so message me

Ed1774

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
O
Member #

I'm in Southeastern Ma near the RI border. I've done most of the legal spots in my area over the years including Race Point, Sandy Neck, and Freetown/Copicut. Looking to expand my horizons and would be interested in NMW, NH, VT, or other nearby locations. I'd love to make the pilgrimage to Moab and Colorado but that seems a bit overwhelming for me right now. I'm running a lightly modified Power Wagon with RTT and also have a CRF 450L for two wheeled fun.

Anyone have any reviews of Northeast Adventure Company? I was signed up for their Adventure Summit last year but covid postponed it until this fall.

Reactions: Ramman

Traveler I

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Lynn
Last Name
Brueshaber
My husband and I are from Springfield area. We finally got our tent in this weekend, wicked excited to get out there. Any suggestions on places to go ?? Also, still down for meet up with other people in the area for coffee or brews to get to know others in the overland world! My ig is pacitalynn.

Ramman

Rank III

Member III

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1PHT
I'm in Southeastern Ma near the RI border. I've done most of the legal spots in my area over the years including Race Point, Sandy Neck, and Freetown/Copicut. Looking to expand my horizons and would be interested in NMW, NH, VT, or other nearby locations. I'd love to make the pilgrimage to Moab and Colorado but that seems a bit overwhelming for me right now. I'm running a lightly modified Power Wagon with RTT and also have a CRF 450L for two wheeled fun.

Anyone have any reviews of Northeast Adventure Company? I was signed up for their Adventure Summit last year but covid postponed it until this fall.
I feel like we will be in the same boat. I’m planning some trips up to Maine if you check out northern Maine woods. All dispersed camping and fire roads. I run a ram so I know how unfriendly it is around here

Ramman

Rank III

Member III

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1PHT
Is anyone in MA or close to it geared for longer trips or is everyone more so local day explorers?

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Is anyone in MA or close to it geared for longer trips or is everyone more so local day explorers?
I have full size truck (2014 GMC Sierra Double cab Z71) and am gearing up for a cross country trip to Montana and back next month. Plan on camping at the Badlands and Black Hills of South Dakota along the way.

Have a Leer 180 camper shell on the back (no need for a tent or trailer) with roof racks on that. About 2 inch level in front on Bilstien 5100's. Removed air dam under front bumper.

I want to make sure the fundamentals are all covered before leaving on such a long trip.I'm doing the 100,000 mile services on it, plus some preventive. Did the trans filter and whatever fluid comes out with that. Did the coolant. Plugs and plug wires. Filters. Up next are transfer case fluid, new brake pads and rotors with new brake fluid.

In the summers, we often truck camp for a weekend or a week. Going way out to Montana may be different, I dont know, I've never gone that far. I'll be sure to note what works and what doesnt, for future reference.

Will bring air mattress for the bed of the truck for sure.

Still some work to be done. I'd like to build out a deck type system, just not sure I need it yet. The beds of these full size trucks are so big, it's kind of easy just to secure stuff in it and go. Want to hook up an auxiliary battery to power the existing CB and some exterior lighting I would like to add, but that's not imperative, more a want.

The real trick is what's gonna go outside while we sleep in the box of the truck, how are showers going to be, and getting rid of human waste if not at a campground.

We've been up and down the east coast in it, from Florida to Prince Edward Island. Handles and rides phenomenal on the highway. Should be ok on logging trails or forest service roads.

Reactions: Ed1774 and Ramman

Ed1774

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
O
Member #

So far I only did a couple of two nighters last summer after I got my RTT. One was to NH and the other to Maine. Both trips I stayed at campgrounds because I was engaging in other activities while in the area. Most of my other stuff has been one day stuff and to be honest I never considered it "overlanding". To me OHV beach days on the Cape are just that, beach days. A run down a dirt road with mud and puddles is just me out having fun. What I want to do now is the the more interesting stuff in New England like NMW and visiting the trains or the B52 crash site. I also haven't spent much time in Vermont and would like to see what it has to offer. As I said in my previous post, I've been wanting to get out west and If I'm fortunate enough to meet a crew of like minded people looking for the same adventure we may have ourselves a hell of a good time.

I'm down for a meetup somewhere with Mass and/or RI people. Both states are fairly small so nobody should have to drive much more than an hour if we pick a central location. I joined Overland to network with the people who have been doing it and have the insight on where go and the tips and tricks that help you do it right.

As for running a full size rig I know I'm outgunned by the midsize Toyota crew but I think my truck can hang in all but the tightest technical stuff. Also, I'm not looking for the extreme body damage inducing overlanding. I'm ok with getting stuck, winching, pin striping and the like but if the trail is a sheet metal crusher then I'll pass.

Reactions: ThundahBeagle

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Right. Overlanding vs truck or car camping vs road trips camping along the way and all that.

Theres just not as much available space in New England, so we have to make the most of NH, Maine and VT or head west. I'm excited to head west next month, but I also know I havent squeezed all I should from the area here.

I've been on part of the Hampster trail in NH, would like to do the whole thing as well as the Puppydog trail in VT. Would love to be able to find a nice beach to camp. Never been to the B52 site but would like to. Same with the Maine ghost trains. Those are more hikes than overland, I think? Never camped at Acadia, but have hiked some Whites and Presidentials.

I also have a full size truck and use it for my road trips and daily driver. I have no desire to rock crawl. Just trails to get from one scenic place to another. That's what I'm looking for

Reactions: Ed1774

Ed1774

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
O
Member #

The real trick is what's gonna go outside while we sleep in the box of the truck, how are showers going to be, and getting rid of human waste if not at a campground.
Two topics I've pondered myself. Have you looked into something like a Yakima Road Shower or home made versions of this concept? How about the Luggable Loo for toilets? Line it with plastic bags and dispose of properly after in a trash receptacle?

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Two topics I've pondered myself. Have you looked into something like a Yakima Road Shower or home made versions of this concept? How about the Luggable Loo for toilets? Line it with plastic bags and dispose of properly after in a trash receptacle?

Yes, I've seen those. All manner of camp showers and such, but yet to squeeze the trigger on one. With most of my time in campsites that had showers and toilets reasonably nearby, I did start looking at these. Of course, the bed of the truck will also be, well, the bed to sleep in. So, where to carry that stuff during the trip past a receptacle has been something I've been working out

Ed1774

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
O
Member #

Yes, I've seen those. All manner of camp showers and such, but yet to squeeze the trigger on one. With most of my time in campsites that had showers and toilets reasonably nearby, I did start looking at these. Of course, the bed of the truck will also be, well, the bed to sleep in. So, where to carry that stuff during the trip past a receptacle has been something I've been working out
I hear you on where to carry the stinky bags. Ideally outside the vehicle is the spot. Do you hav a hitch rack you could use with maybe a heavy duty rubbermaid type bin to store the literal "crap"? How about an overland style rack on top of your truck cap or on the roof of your truck?

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I hear you on where to carry the stinky bags. Ideally outside the vehicle is the spot. Do you hav a hitch rack you could use with maybe a heavy duty rubbermaid type bin to store the literal "crap"? How about an overland style rack on top of your truck cap or on the roof of your truck?
I've got a hitch mount and a roof rack on the Leer camper shell. The rear hitch might be better. I'd never want that stuff to accidentally leak, but I'd sure never want that if it was up in the air, ha ha

Last edited:

Tremor

Rank II

Member I

Masschusetts
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Horgan
Member #

I have the road shower on the back of my F15p bedrack, it is a nice unit, I have the short bed so only the 7 gallon would fit, the 10 gallon was too long. I also just bought the Hike Crew shower unit. Doing everything I can to keep my wife happy. We are experiences backpackers, so the shovel will do for now.

Ed1774

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
O
Member #

Hello from the south shore.

Anyone want to do a meet up in the near future?
I think a meetup of some Mass folks is a great idea. I've been in contact with Ramman and suggested a get together at Freetown Forest. We could run some of legal fire roads then hang out at the picnic area after. If anyone is interested sound off and lets pick a date.

Also, is anyone going to Overland Expo East? I''ll be heading down and the idea of running with a convoy seems pretty cool.

Reactions: CareMarc112020
M

Markpaul1

Keep me and site updated I’ll come visit . Got the beach pass to national seashore so I mostly drive from western mass out there

NolanDick

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Boston, MA, USA
First Name
Nolan
Last Name
Dick
Member #

I think a meetup of some Mass folks is a great idea. I've been in contact with Ramman and suggested a get together at Freetown Forest. We could run some of legal fire roads then hang out at the picnic area after. If anyone is interested sound off and lets pick a date.

Also, is anyone going to Overland Expo East? I''ll be heading down and the idea of running with a convoy seems pretty cool.
I'm interested in both of these things. Was interested in Overland Expo East for a couple years now.

Reactions: JVroom and Ed1774