Marn's M416 Build

• HTML tutorial

Marn

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV
Is that the Raptor DIY spray liner? How'd you like it? was it fairly easy to use and clean up?
Yeah, raptor liner. Install was easy and it wasn’t bad to clean up.

I’m not in love with it, it’s worked well but on the lip of the trailer it has chipped off in some areas where I connect hooks and or bang stuff up against it. I need to touch up those areas.

Reactions: Flyfishin.aa.ron

Marn

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV
Yeah, raptor liner. Install was easy and it wasn’t bad to clean up.

I’m not in love with it, it’s worked well but on the lip of the trailer it has chipped off in some areas where I connect hooks and or bang stuff up against it. I need to touch up those areas.
Since I’m logged in, here’s some more pics from some more trips, mostly to the same areas as above because we were headed to my hunt unit.

F5241E40-A7CB-459A-84DA-3F9893753E94.jpegE6C47ECF-33EF-45B5-838D-76C5FD475C46.jpeg1BD95E28-32DF-4C41-9B6D-E2EEEEF4C48E.jpegCD95DC78-CE0D-4756-8A4B-1D4153D50D5D.jpeg5E4DF45E-BCA6-40C8-96DF-56F1CB9B0710.jpeg77ED8131-943A-4AA8-B5F9-2900179911A2.jpeg3CBAA12B-1AC5-4959-938B-612CA9A58738.jpeg

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I’m not in love with it, it’s worked well but on the lip of the trailer it has chipped off in some areas where I connect hooks and or bang stuff up against it.
When you prepped it, what grit of sand paper did you use. I sprayed Raptor on my M-100 and had it chip. Turned out I didn't use coarse enough sand paper when I prepped it.

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Epic build. I'm thinking along the same lines. I built my shell for the Tacoma, then sold the truck. Now I'd like to put it on a trailer like this.
Thanks for sharing this. It's amazing.
Zim
roofrack1.JPG

LunarOne

Rank III

Enthusiast III

10620 58th Drive Northeast, Marysville, Washington 98270, United States
First Name
Jerry
Last Name
Crowley
Member #

Service Branch
Navy
More work done. Painted the rack, added some bubble levels.

Added stabilizer jacks under the rear to make sure it doesnt go tippy tippy backwards. I can jump up and down in the back now and no issues.

Picked up some lvelling blocks so I can get it pretty close to level in every direction. also makes it easy to level the front using the stock landing gear. Looked briefly into adjustable landing gear but said nah.

Picked up the most sturdy bin I could find. Looked at sportsmans, cabelas, and home depot. All the stuff by plano was flimsy. This thing is solid as a rock. I can sit on it and it doesnt bow. Plenty of locking points to keep honest people honest, and will allow me to store my smaller gear securely when we are away from the trailer for the day.

Last thing I need to do before the first trip this weekend is mount up the spare tire in the front. Have a rack designed, but havent built it yet. Should be easy peasy.

Untitled by Marn, on Flickr

Who makes the stabilizer jacks and where can I pick up a set? Thinking of the same set up for mine.

Thanks.

OcoeeG

Rank II

Enthusiast III

SE TN
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Gee
Great job! Good looking trailer!! I like how yours in light enough to manipulate by hand. I just took mine out for the first time and it was REALLY handy to be able put it where I wanted it on the camping pad.

bcmedicxj

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Vonore, TN, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Collins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRKP 397 Groundhog
Service Branch
EMS
These are great trailers and I like how you set yours up. I mounted a 5lb propane tank (rear right corner) and a jerry can (front left corner) on mine. Also made a tailgate which is great for food prep and cooking. I extended the tongue and installed a Lock n Roll hitch which is quite and stable especially in a off camber situation. The cargo box on the front is for misc gear and a mounted 12v marine battery that powers everything at night that is charged from the Cherokee while travelling, I used the same wheel and tire combo for the trailer so I don't have to carry a extra spare. They are a little heavy but your not going to break it.

R

RN J

Nothing super special here. My old pop up that I drag down a lot of back roads is really starting to fall apart, so I picked up an M416 on my last trip down to Vegas. I looked at a couple, and landed on this one It was 100% ready to roll, with 2 year old tires, the original rims and tires included as spares, LED lights, 2 year old bearings and a brand new set of replacement bearings, and it even included a pintle hitch. Aside from the LED lights, it's 100% stock which is what I wanted.

No visible rust, some flaking paint and a little surface crust underneath, a couple dings and dents in the tub, and it had been very sloppily painted. I had intended to paint it without doing a complete tear down and refinish, but there were so many runs and drips in the paint I figured I'd do it right.

The only odd thing I have noticed is that it sits a little low in one corner. I've seen a number of other trailers that in pics at least LOOK like they sit a little off camber, so many its from a hard life of use, or 1960's government contract manufacturing, who knows. I've decided to simply shim the tub in that corner to get things a little more level. about 1/2" shim should take care of it. the frame sits level across the axle, so its just one of the corners.

Anyway, drug it home with my lil' truck. 500 mile trip and I didn't even know it was there.

trailer1 by Marn, on Flickr

Hooked it up behind the wag to see how it'll sit, looks pretty decent. SLIGHTLY low in the front.
trailer3 by Marn, on Flickr
trailer2 by Marn, on Flickr

So, as mentioned, decided to do a full repaint. So, threw on my respirator and went to work with some grinding wheels.

Presently, the whole tub is primed on the outside sides. For the underside, I'm going to hit it with a wire wheel and bed line the bottom. I will also be bed lining the interior up to the top rail. Just going to use black Monstaliner. I've wired wheeled the interior and removed any of the flaking stuff in there, but I'm not intending to strip it down to bare metal.

I need to finish be stripping the fenders, then I will move onto the bottom of the tub. The frame has been wire wheeled, and will be getting shot with a coat of summit racing's chassis paint. Then the tub will get shot with whatever color I choose, and plopped back on the frame. At this point, the actual "build" will begin as time and money allow.

Likely planning to use an adjustable rack system like a Thule XSporter, so I can raise and lower the RTT for travel. I want to have about 6' under the tent, but want to keep the COG as low as possible while driving.

We'll see what I come up with. :-)
Looking forward to future posts on what you end up doing with it!

wigsajumper

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Maine, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Wiggin
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
@Marn Great looking m416. I have a BantamT3C (Post War Civilian version with a tailgate) that I have slowly been working on over the years. Did you weld up the scissor jacks or bolt on? Been planning on adding some on my trailer.

R

RN J

I had to look up what a scissor jack was…still don’t understand how or where you’re using them in relation to an RTT?

Marn

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV
@Marn Great looking m416. I have a BantamT3C (Post War Civilian version with a tailgate) that I have slowly been working on over the years. Did you weld up the scissor jacks or bolt on? Been planning on adding some on my trailer.
Sorry for not seeing this.

i bolted them on, just through the frame. I took them apart and drilled a hole/used a bolt up through the center of the Jack so that they mounted to the rear crossmember as well as one to one of the center ones

Reactions: wigsajumper

Marn

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV
Still just using it. Took our first trip of 2022 last weekend. We were just at a campground though, as we had some friends who wanted to tag along but not be totally off grid.
D97412AE-5D01-4C16-A4D3-A812EE92BACC.jpegCCDAAC15-21B5-40A7-8A31-EBB73EF4200B.jpeg

TJ Willy

Rank II

Enthusiast III

New Port Richey FL
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Ewing
Member #

Service Branch
U S Army
Hey nice rig ! Here s one from Florida , the rtt raises up an down to 7ft on 4-100lb gas struts an the lid raises on 2 -50 lb struts , also trailer spare tire is mounted inside rear of trailer. Jeep an trailer wrapped in mossy oak shadow grass blades. Very tough wrap! Did it myself for around $700 for booth. Trailer lid is fabbed out of sheet metal.

Attachments

Reactions: Viking1204