Launch Member

Advocate III

Mesa, Maricopa County, Arizona, United States
First Name
Haltom
Last Name
Family
Member #

So I have a 2017 Ram Power Wagon which I am converting into an overland rig. I have a long list of things I'd like to do, how fast I do them or if I do them is another story... but here's Magnus.

And as of right now Magnus is bone stock other than the license plate frame and windshield screen (if they count lol). Here is the list of (HOPEFULLY) future mods, not necessarily in order.
  • Safety & Security
    • Vinyl wrap - $500 (doing it myself - to somewhat protect the paint)
    • Camper shell - $2500 (rough guestimate)
    • First aid kit - $50 (backburner - I have a decent kit now)
  • Overland Gear
    • Rooftop tent ($700 - $2500 | not high priority yet)
    • Truck bed drawers (needs to wait until camper is installed | build myself) - $150 - $200
    • Refrigerator $600 - $1200
    • General lighting (galley / camper) - $40
    • Fresh water system
      • Water Pump - $70
      • Water tank - $100
      • Water receptacle - $14
      • Water heater - $230 (very low priority)
  • Offroad Equipment
    • Recovery gear
      • Winch recovery gear ~$500
        • Tree saver
        • Cable dampers
        • Rated d-ring shackles
        • Snatch blocks
        • Gloves
        • Tow strap
      • MaxTrax - black/yellow… can’t decide - $330
      • Chain saw - $50 used (very low priority)
      • Gas Cans / Jerry Cans ~$160
    • Dual Battery system
      • Deep cycle battery - $189
      • Battery charge management
        • Battery isolator - $130
        • Battery monitor - $90
        • Installation (wire and connectors) - $50
    • AEV snorkel w/ pre-filter - $625 (low priority)
    • AEV Bumper - $2600 (a wish list item - low priority)
    • Rock Sliders - $1280 (high priority)
    • Ride
      • Beefed up/ tuned suspension (to accommodate the additional weight in bed and possibly to accommodate 37" tires ... which would lead to gear change to 4.56) - Big $$$
      • 6 - 37” tires - $2670
      • Wheels - $900
    • Rigid lights (recently leaning toward the KC alternatives)
      • Rigid Industries 20221 Dually Spotlight, (Set of 2) - $140
      • Rigid Industries 20251 Dually 60° Lens Flood, (3 Sets of 2) - $405
      • Rigid Industries 130312 E-Series 30" LED Spot/Flood Combo Light Bar - $649
    • Air Compressor - $500
    • Deflator/Air Gauge - $38
    • Tire Repair Kit - $40
  • Communications, Navigation and Electronics
    • Ham Radio / May just go with CB (in the air) - $300
    • laptop/tablet - ?
    • Rhino mounts for laptop/tablet ?
Total estimated cost - $15,353 - $17,803 give or take

armymgdude

Rank IV

Advocate II

Olympia, WA
Nice list. If you want something that will actually be useful under your 8000lb beast, consider this instead of Maxtracks
http://www.cruxoffroad.com
I use them for my wagon, and they work great. We have a horrible breakover angle, so something you can bridge with is helpful.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Looking forward to following this build!

I saw you have vinyl wrap to protect the paint, EMBRACE THE ARIZONA PIN STRIPES!! We have to wear them as a badge of honor around these parts! :laughing:

Eric Haltom

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Haltom
Last Name
Family
Member #

lol, I know, I know. It's just such a hard thing for me to get over. I used to be a detailer, and a bit of OCD to go along with it makes things like that hard for me to let go of. I said the same thing with my last (lost cause) truck "aww, I'm not even going to sweat the pin striping". Yeah, I got scratches on it, lol but I was out there buffing them off too. AAAHHHH, I don't know, my wife even said the same thing. She said it would drive me nuts. Perhaps I should seek therapy.

Reactions: brien

Eric Haltom

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Haltom
Last Name
Family
Member #

Mind if I ask why gas and not diesel?

Sent from my SM-G950U using OB Talk mobile app
Ahh, the age old question. I have quite a few reasons for that. First, it's not available for the Power Wagon. I've always wanted a the 6.7L Cummins but the truth for me at least is that I work from home and the majority of my drives are very short and I wouldn't be able to treat the diesel as it should be treated. My last reason is that the Cummins available in 3/4 ton trucks are about 600 pounds more heavy than the 6.4 liter alternative, which plays a factor in the off road weight distribution of the vehicle. I love the cummins, but it just doesn't fit in with my particular needs.

DocNOS

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Tulsa, OK
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Son
Member #

Service Branch
USN
Ahh, the age old question. I have quite a few reasons for that. First, it's not available for the Power Wagon. I've always wanted a the 6.7L Cummins but the truth for me at least is that I work from home and the majority of my drives are very short and I wouldn't be able to treat the diesel as it should be treated. My last reason is that the Cummins available in 3/4 ton trucks are about 600 pounds more heavy than the 6.4 liter alternative, which plays a factor in the off road weight distribution of the vehicle. I love the cummins, but it just doesn't fit in with my particular needs.
Sounds good, thanks for the reply.

I am I the air about a 2012 Ram 2500 6.7 (pre-DEF) or running with another f150 ecoboost. I know it's an apples and oranges battle, lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Eric Haltom

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Well, the first mod was installed. I heard rumors of 100+ hp gains at the wheel. I'm not sure I got quite that much, but the difference is notable lol!!! But if anything... it looks good. It's good to be official!

The best modification!

crit_pw

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Silt, Colorado
Member #

https://www.facebook.com/groups/860573913997932/
Here is a video explaining why I got a Power Wagon for my overlanding rig.
Eric,
Great video and absolutely great choice in vehicle!!! I personally have a 2016 Laramie Power Wagon that is slowly getting the overland treatment. There are a few of us that have chosen this wonderful beast as our overland vehicle of choice. Many of the decisions you spoke of about why you chose the PW match mine including brand loyalty. As you drive and learn the capabilities of your wagon you will be pleasantly surprised.

I see you have found my Power Wagon Registry page so that hopefully all of us PW folks can stay in touch and share ideas, tips and tricks particular to our vehicles. Both myself and @BoldAdventure have dedicated build threads for our own trucks. Please check them out for ideas and tips.
My build thread is 2016-ram-power-wagon-overland-build and BoldAdventure's build is BoldAdventures 2015 Ram Power Wagon Build

There is also the annual PowerWagons In Moab. This is an annual get together of PW owners in Moab to enjoy each others, company, camaraderie, and truck as we explore the different trails in the Moab area. Last year BoldAdventure and his awesome family organized the meet and it was a terrific family friendly gathering. My boys and I made some life long friends that week. Info for this can be found on facebook at Power Wagons in Moab and on the web at https://powerwagonsinmoab.com/ and on instagram at https://www.instagram.com/offroadpowerwagon/

Also if you are on Facebook there is a dedicated group for the 2005-2017 Power Wagons. Overall good group of people and lots of available info on what works and what doesn't on our trucks. The group can be found Power Wagon Next Generation 2005-Present.

I have already done quite a few mods to my PW and can answer some of your questions about some of the planned mods you have listed for yours. I currently run 37in tires and just recently did a re-gear to 4.88 ratio. Currently getting some miles on the gears and then I will be doing a full write-up on the gear swap including pricing, parts availability and numbers and all issues I encountered in the process. Apparently there is only a handful of us that have re-geared the 2014+ Power Wagons. The 2013 and older had a different set up in the rear end. I am also a huge Rigid lighting fan and run quite a few Rigid lights on my truck. I am a big believer in doing all of my own work so anything I offer will be coming from a do it yourself prospective. Welcome to the Power Wagon family and feel free to contact me anytime if there is anything I might be able to help you with on your build.

Eric Haltom

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Haltom
Last Name
Family
Member #

https://www.facebook.com/groups/860573913997932/
Eric,
Great video and absolutely great choice in vehicle!!! I personally have a 2016 Laramie Power Wagon that is slowly getting the overland treatment. There are a few of us that have chosen this wonderful beast as our overland vehicle of choice. Many of the decisions you spoke of about why you chose the PW match mine including brand loyalty. As you drive and learn the capabilities of your wagon you will be pleasantly surprised.

I see you have found my Power Wagon Registry page so that hopefully all of us PW folks can stay in touch and share ideas, tips and tricks particular to our vehicles. Both myself and @BoldAdventure have dedicated build threads for our own trucks. Please check them out for ideas and tips.
My build thread is 2016-ram-power-wagon-overland-build and BoldAdventure's build is BoldAdventures 2015 Ram Power Wagon Build

There is also the annual PowerWagons In Moab. This is an annual get together of PW owners in Moab to enjoy each others, company, camaraderie, and truck as we explore the different trails in the Moab area. Last year BoldAdventure and his awesome family organized the meet and it was a terrific family friendly gathering. My boys and I made some life long friends that week. Info for this can be found on facebook at Power Wagons in Moab and on the web at https://powerwagonsinmoab.com/ and on instagram at https://www.instagram.com/offroadpowerwagon/

Also if you are on Facebook there is a dedicated group for the 2005-2017 Power Wagons. Overall good group of people and lots of available info on what works and what doesn't on our trucks. The group can be found Power Wagon Next Generation 2005-Present.

I have already done quite a few mods to my PW and can answer some of your questions about some of the planned mods you have listed for yours. I currently run 37in tires and just recently did a re-gear to 4.88 ratio. Currently getting some miles on the gears and then I will be doing a full write-up on the gear swap including pricing, parts availability and numbers and all issues I encountered in the process. Apparently there is only a handful of us that have re-geared the 2014+ Power Wagons. The 2013 and older had a different set up in the rear end. I am also a huge Rigid lighting fan and run quite a few Rigid lights on my truck. I am a big believer in doing all of my own work so anything I offer will be coming from a do it yourself prospective. Welcome to the Power Wagon family and feel free to contact me anytime if there is anything I might be able to help you with on your build.
Thanks for taking the time to tell me about all this and pointing out those threads, you guys have awesome rigs. I hope I can join the ranks modified PWs soon. I would be awesome to see a bunch of these amazing rides together. I have yet to see another PW on the road since I got Magnus.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Reactions: crit_pw

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

I hope to branch the Moab gathering into a semi-annual thing. And I'm working on putting together something a little more open focused on overlandering and fullsizes. ;)

Next year, we're hoping to do an over night trip. It will not be like this years, accidental over night trip, lol. Probably the White Rim or something like that.

Look forward to seeing your build come together.

crit_pw

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Silt, Colorado
Member #

Thanks for taking the time to tell me about all this and pointing out those threads, you guys have awesome rigs. I hope I can join the ranks modified PWs soon. I would be awesome to see a bunch of these amazing rides together. I have yet to see another PW on the road since I got Magnus.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Just keep tabs on the different groups and us on here as well. We are trying to get the PW owners together more often and in more places. Through the FB group I have learned of several owners near me that I had never seen their trucks. We are out there you just have to look a little! :anguished:

Eric Haltom

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Haltom
Last Name
Family
Member #

Looking forward to following this build!

I saw you have vinyl wrap to protect the paint, EMBRACE THE ARIZONA PIN STRIPES!! We have to wear them as a badge of honor around these parts! :laughing:
I have successfully embraced... let's see how long it takes me to buff them out. I just saved around $500.

gtomike

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Milford,MA
Member #

Nice video and great choice in trucks.
I have a 2012 Power Wagon that I bought new that I'm shortly going to set up for overlanding.
I've been to Power Wagons In Moab the last 2 years where I met and wheeled with some awesome people.
Next year,I'll be hanging out with them at the campsite as well.
I hope you can join us

Reactions: crit_pw