LX450 80 series build thread

• HTML tutorial

wemahfouz

Rank II

Advocate II

Let's see, where should I begin. I guess I'll start with how I got the 80, my aunt and uncle were in the move when I was 15, moving half way across the country. In this move they had no more use for the triple locked 80 and it was gifted to me for my first vehicle, now 19 I have done countless mods and the obsession began
here is the first picture of the vehicle that I still have. Got some mud grips on it and was ready to go. As many of you know that wasn't enough.
I got the molding painted and it was all cylinders firing now. I added a cheap grille guard and a Yakima mega load warrior rack
and I also build a custom storage box in the rear (probably my favorite mod) and replaced the tailgate carpet with a cutting board

Sent from my iPhone using Overland Bound Talk

wemahfouz

Rank II

Advocate II

After lots of reading, saving up and people jumping my case, I decided to go with the ARB bumper that allowed sit a winch, I don't have a picture of the winch installed but I went with a tuff stuff waterproof 12.5K synthetic and I couldn't be happier
after some time more I was able to scrap up enough money for a DECENT pair of rock sliders. I went with Rocky Road Outfitters because they were the cheapest option at the time and I couldn't have been more upset. The sliders were terrible in their fitment. The from of the slider was almost 2 inches from the body and the rear was touching the body. After weeks of fighting with the company and then asking me to ship them back just to see if they fit I was able to get a 100$ refund because we would have to cut and Reweld the brackets to fit correctly

wemahfouz

Rank II

Advocate II

The next step would be building the J-moose flat rack to replace my Yakima mega warrior basket rack. This was a fun project and the old man helped me the whole way through
this would lead me into the next project which was a custom built rear bumper, the ones that were manufactured were just way out of my price range so I got a template off of mud and we went to work. After about 2-3 weeks it was finished. Another fun project that taught me a lot

wemahfouz

Rank II

Advocate II

I was finally getting the 80 how I wanted it so next thing on the list was an ome 3 inch lift; or so I thought, the beginning of this calendar year I blew head gasket at 230k. This set back the lift install even though I already had the lift with me.
Although this was a huge setback we got her back running and it was time for the lift and tires. A couple weeks ago I finally got caught up
. Now I think I've gotten y'all all caught up, I hope y'all enjoy what has been done and what is to come as much as I have

RiverCityDave

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Austin, Texas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Hunter
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Very nice. The Headgasket is a ain that only comes once hopefully. I like the creative rack, very cool.

wemahfouz

Rank II

Advocate II

Very nice. The Headgasket is a ain that only comes once hopefully. I like the creative rack, very cool.
Hopefully I won't have to deal with that's again. Planning a trip to Colorado this summer but was nervous because I knew the HG was going to be soon. Now that it happened in ready!

Crispy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Redmond, OR, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Crisp
Member #

@wemahfouz What did you build that roof rack out of? It looks like an ATV ramp reinforced and modified with roof rail brackets. If so, what a great idea.

wemahfouz

Rank II

Advocate II

@wemahfouz What did you build that roof rack out of? It looks like an ATV ramp reinforced and modified with roof rail brackets. If so, what a great idea.
Yeah, just an eBay 4 wheeler ramp. I liked the size but didn't like the spacing lengthways on the ramp, so I got some 3/8 steel flatbar (3/8 was the hight of the seem in the middle and edge of the rack) drilled some holes to match up every horizontal bar and secured it with rivets. The rivets hole great and I love the rack. There is a better build on line under "j-moose roof rack"

Reactions: Crispy

Crispy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Redmond, OR, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Crisp
Member #

This one? http://www.wildyoats.com/the_j-rack.htm

Yeah, just an eBay 4 wheeler ramp. I liked the size but didn't like the spacing lengthways on the ramp, so I got some 3/8 steel flatbar (3/8 was the hight of the seem in the middle and edge of the rack) drilled some holes to match up every horizontal bar and secured it with rivets. The rivets hole great and I love the rack. There is a better build on line under "j-moose roof rack"

wemahfouz

Rank II

Advocate II

Yup. I didn't do the flatbar around the sides, didn't feel necessary. It's more for ascetics, can't go wrong with the rack tho if you're looking for something cheep. Cost me less than 300 if I'm not mistaken (already had the gutter mounts tho)

finlayforprez

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member II

Ronks, PA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

I am just catching up after a hiatus from the OB website and I have to say I love your build. I am kind of obsessed with LXs and really love when guys wheel them and build them up. Very nice job!

Reactions: NorthStar96

rixham

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Frederick, MD
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Rixham
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3NAZ
Let's see, where should I begin. I guess I'll start with how I got the 80, my aunt and uncle were in the move when I was 15, moving half way across the country. In this move they had no more use for the triple locked 80 and it was gifted to me for my first vehicle, now 19 I have done countless mods and the obsession began
here is the first picture of the vehicle that I still have. Got some mud grips on it and was ready to go. As many of you know that wasn't enough.
I got the molding painted and it was all cylinders firing now. I added a cheap grille guard and a Yakima mega load warrior rack
and I also build a custom storage box in the rear (probably my favorite mod) and replaced the tailgate carpet with a cutting board

This is exactly what I am looking for...a triple locked lx450! Gorgeous!!!!!