Investor

Enthusiast III

Southern Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
Kissell
Member #

wanting to replace my Rancho 9000 shocks on my 2004 Discovery II. looking for input from anyone having already upgraded. this rig has a 2" OME lift and 1" body lift. its heavy with ARB bumpers, dual batt, jack and recovery gear, all add up to lots of extra weight. Don't think i will need remote res, but would be interested in what others have done, what they liked or didn't like about them. Weekend offroad, lots of 2 track and fire roads, maybe some light to med rocks. thx j

Tinker

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

West Michigan
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klemish
Member #

Oops, wrong section I think. Might get more responses if you copy-paste this over in the RigQ&A section:

https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/forums/rig-q-a.76/

But as far as the question I have had good luck with Terrafirma "ProSport+" shocks on my Disco. They have a +2" version that would suit your lift height, not bad for the $ I think. They are simple & durable for the size, also the coating & bushes are tough, but the dust-covers leave a bit to be desired. I was honestly surprised I never overheated them with everything I put 'em through this last summer. Can't say much for the ride though, what with running without sway bars & generally pretty heavy loads.

I'd highly recommend looking into some up-rated coil springs if you're well over original weight like mine is. Very much looking forward to doing so on mine, although I need to wait til my engine swap's done before I can get it on a scale to estimate full load weight vs spring rates.