Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vallejo, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Weber
Member #

Just got my GMRS license and about to pull the trigger on a midland MXT400. I see they have a combo with an antenna but at 27" tall I'll need to fender mount for certain. I have an FJ Cruiser and work in a parking garage and I don't want to hassle with the antenna.

Ideally I'd like to find a low profile antenna I can mount on the roof in front of the roof rack. I will be carrying a tent on the rack when we go out.

Does anyone have a suggestion for something for an antenna that fits my circumstance?

martin_j001

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lawrenceville, GA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Martin
Member #

Following this, as I'd be interested in knowing the same as well. There's some local groups in my area that run repeaters for GMRS, haven't joined yet as my radios currently serve as campsite/campground and just in and out of the car comms, but with something more powerful like the MXT400, might be more worthwhile if it really does work well over greater distances.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
You can always use the stock 6" antenna that the Midland comes with. Not the best antenna, but Midland thinks it's descent or they would not provide it with the radio, am I right? I am sure that they would not want to have something inferior come in the package that could potentially give their radios a bad rap.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

You can always use the stock 6" antenna that the Midland comes with.
The 115 comes with the 6" magnetic mount antenna. The 400 does not come with an antenna. I have the 115, but added the Midland 6db gain NMO antenna on my roof.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Really, I did not know that it came with nothing. Dang, use a 19" 3db magnetic mount antenna when I am not on the Baofeng, otherwise I just use the stock 6" one that came with my 115.

Gryf

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vallejo, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Weber
Member #

You can buy the MXT400 as a kit with a 27" antenna. My problem is the parking garage for the office. My vehicle barely clears it right now. Adding a 27" antenna isn't going to be good juju.

I was hoping to find a phantom antenna that would work with that radio. Any chance of that?

MuckSavage

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

South Jersey, NJ, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
McG
Member #

Maybe not much help but I have an MXT115. I leave the stubby antenna under the hood magnetized to the inner fender. When I'm ready to use the radio I simply open the hood and attach it to the hood or tuck the wire in the weatherstrip & attach it to the roof. After use, I store it back under the hood. I only use the radio for trail comms so it works out fine for me.

Reactions: Graeman

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
https://www.ebay.com/p/BROWNING-BR2445-3-1-4-Tall-450MHZ-465MHz-Pretuned-Low-Profile-NMO-Antenna/1822908641?iid=253565731288&chn=ps

You'll still have to have a NMO mount. I use this one on the driver's side of my Xterra's rear hatch. I had to drill a couple extra clocking holes in the base when I installed it to get the clocking exactly right to clear the back door but it wasn't an issue. You'll want to disassemble it, sand off all the paint where the parts contact each other and reassemble with some dielectric grease or copper antiseize there to keep out corrosion and maintain good conduction to ground. I've had it on there for about two years now and it's worked good. I run a 50" long 70cm/2m/6m whip on it on longer trips and it's rock solid. It should work with that little GMRS antenna just fine. You can also get NMO caps to put on if you need to pull the antenna off for some reason.

Last edited:

Geisterbild

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Bellingham, MA, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Cunniff
Member #

https://www.ebay.com/p/BROWNING-BR2445-3-1-4-Tall-450MHZ-465MHz-Pretuned-Low-Profile-NMO-Antenna/1822908641?iid=253565731288&chn=ps

You'll still have to have a NMO mount. I use this one on the driver's side of my Xterra's rear hatch. I had to drill a couple extra clocking holes in the base when I installed it to get the clocking exactly right to clear the back door but it wasn't an issue. You'll want to disassemble it, sand off all the paint where the parts contact each other and reassemble with some dielectric grease or copper antiseize there to keep out corrosion and maintain good conduction to ground. I've had it on there for about two years now and it's worked good. I run a 50" long 70cm/2m/6m whip on it on longer trips and it's rock solid. It should work with that little GMRS antenna just fine. You can also get NMO caps to put on if you need to pull the antenna off for some reason.
Hey Terry D,
I am actually looking into this also, do you happen to know if the weather channel still works on your Midland with this radio? I've read that these radios don't pick up the weather reports.

Thanks!
Andy

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Hey Terry D,
I am actually looking into this also, do you happen to know if the weather channel still works on your Midland with this radio? I've read that these radios don't pick up the weather reports.

Thanks!
Andy
I don't have the Midland. I have a dual band Ham on mine. I use a GMRS HT. I don't know if the Midland RX the WX freqs or not.

I have been considering the smaller Midland recently though.

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
Someone on my Jeep club site found these. They look like they could be a good mount.

Geisterbild

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Bellingham, MA, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Cunniff
Member #

I don't have the Midland. I have a dual band Ham on mine. I use a GMRS HT. I don't know if the Midland RX the WX freqs or not.

I have been considering the smaller Midland recently though.
Ah, I'll keep asking around. Thanks!!
The MXT115 I run is actually a really nice radio, and it's tiny. If you are in the market it does the job well, just needs a little better antenna (hence why I'm here)

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Someone on my Jeep club site found these. They look like they could be a good mount.

Diamond also makes a nice roof rack mount.

View attachment 78668
Neither of these off a great ground plane since the roof rack bars aren't usually grounded to the body. You'd want to have a good wide ground strap from the mount over to a good ground on your roof to use them effectively. You really have to be weary of that kind of thing, it can make or break your antenna system. Then will work in a pinch, MOST of the time though.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Ah, I'll keep asking around. Thanks!!
The MXT115 I run is actually a really nice radio, and it's tiny. If you are in the market it does the job well, just needs a little better antenna (hence why I'm here)
It seems like a nice radio for the money. It's just getting that money! :laughing: I'm planning some "shack standardization" soon. I'd like to sell off all my various brand radios and pick one particular one to standardize on, that'll be a bank breaker when I finally make the decision on that. I would like to add GMRS and even CB to the home radio shack as well as the Xterra eventually.