Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vallejo, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Weber
Member #

So I'm a bit stuck in a "More Power!" mindset and would like some opinions.

I am considering the following 3 Midland radios:
  • MXT 115 - 15 watts, has weather
  • MXT 275 - 15 watts, has weather, all controls on Microphone so head unit can be remote mounted
  • MXT 400 - 40 Watts, No weather rx
In my mind the ideal radio is the one Midland doesn't make: RX weather, integrated control microphone and transmits on 40 watts

You opinion: Is the difference between 15 and 40 watts enough to lose wx and remote mounting?

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

An alternative would be to get a scanner ($80) or a cheap handheld VHF/UHF radio ($30) and use it to scan frequencies you want to monitor (law enforcement or park ranger as long as they haven't gone trunking and or digital those scanners are more expensive, GMRS, ham radio, etc).
A downside here would be that if you are carrying on a conversation it would stop on your channel and cause feedback, but the scanner volumn could be turned down during lengthy conversations.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

You opinion: Is the difference between 15 and 40 watts enough to lose wx and remote mounting?
Since I see GMRS as a convoy/trail communication service I wouldn't worry about using 15 watts, with a nice external antenna it should perform decently well. If you are wanting to use if over greater distances then yes 40 watts and a high gain antenna may be what you want, however me being a ham I would reserve longer distance comms to my ham radios and the 50-100 watts I have available.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Pretty much exactly what PR said. I'm also a Ham and have my radios programmed to be on low power when I select a memory. 99% of the time I can get through on low which is 5W and easily access repeaters that are 20 miles away in the mountains of Va. It's rare that I need to go up in power to be heard. I feel like 15W would be plenty.

Are you mainly looking for group coms or are you hoping this will be your sole emergency coms system?

Reactions: Captain Chaos

Gryf

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vallejo, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Weber
Member #

This is mainly for group comms. I'd pair this with a Garmin In-Reach to use for emergencies.

Question: Does the Browning BR2445 receive wx channels as well? Looks like it is tuned for different frequencies.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
It will probably receive ok. A dual band would work better since it's also tuned for a closer band but they are going to be longer. My dual band Tram is about 18".

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I use a Midland MXT275 with a Browning BR450 mounted to my rack. It’s an NGP antenna that doesn’t clear my garage so I simply keep the NMO mount capped and attach the antenna when I intend to use it. I do the same thing for my CB.

4DF0AF36-8855-4EF6-B838-5AEDA82EACA4.jpeg CB8BE1F1-DB79-4EF9-AE19-AF6E5FA651CB.jpeg

Reactions: Desert Runner

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
The 15 watt works great even with the stock supplied antenna in group settings. If power and weather are very important to you buy the 40 watt and a $30 baofeng. Since I live in AZ, the weather channel isn't really a concern for me. I do have weather on my cell phone, Baofeng if needed and the MXT 115. The compact size allows the 115 to be installed where the ash tray used to sit. I love the sound quality so much that I have pulled the CB out of the 4Runner completely. If there is someone in my group who doesn't have gmrs capability I let them use my handheld Motorola gmrs radio - which also has weather on it.

MLGrace

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

LAKESIDE AZ
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Grace
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran
So I'm a bit stuck in a "More Power!" mindset and would like some opinions.

I am considering the following 3 Midland radios:
  • MXT 115 - 15 watts, has weather
  • MXT 275 - 15 watts, has weather, all controls on Microphone so head unit can be remote mounted
  • MXT 400 - 40 Watts, No weather rx
In my mind the ideal radio is the one Midland doesn't make: RX weather, integrated control microphone and transmits on 40 watts

We went with the 275 radios in our jeeps. Also just using the 6 inch magnetic antennas. Range and clarity are excellent. We mounted the tiny antennas to the roof racks. Clear reception out to 8 miles in hilly terrain. Have not tried further but 100% clear at 8 so I anticipate significantly more range. So I read up on the 40 watt model and there are some who are concerned about the radiation if the antenna is close to the user. Not my area of expertise but I am sure there are explorers here who might comment.

Reactions: Gryf

Gryf

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vallejo, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Weber
Member #

Thank all of you for the reviews. The form factor of the 275 is exactly what I'd like since we can mount the radio out of sight and not have it take up console real estate. It all comes down to power and that sounds like it's not much an issue.

Cheers!

Reactions: Desert Runner