Rank I

Contributor III

Ontario, Canada
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Gribbon
Hey everyone,
I am looking at starting an overland rig and I am currently looking at the 2017 F-150 5.0 and Ram 1500 5.7 as the possible choices. I was pretty set on the F-150 since it has the reputation of being rugged and seems to have a lot more aftermarket support compared to the Ram 1500.

My only issue, after doing some engine research, is that the 5.0 coyote in the F-150 has it's alternator near the bottom of the engine block. Not exactly ideal, is it? Whereas the Ram 1500 has it dead on top.

Now I don't plan on doing any crazy water crossings in my adventures, but I am worried that if I were to submerge this alternator in the Ford, that it would cause major issues on the trail... aka everything electronic draining your battery and not being able to use your electric power assist, ect.

This rig will be my daily driver. Will most likely just put a mild 2'' lift, 33's, hidden winch, maybe a snorkel, and a RTT.

What do you guys think? Ram or Ford?

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Every vehicle has drawbacks. My Xterra has its alternator on the bottom as well. But it fit every other need I had. I avoid water crossings and deep mud whenever possible so I'm not overly worried about it. Its usually not shorting out you have to worry about with an alternator though, it's dirt from the water getting in the bearings and wiping them out.

Reactions: JGribbs

El Matador

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Houston
I used to have a 2012 5.0 F150. Went through 5, count them, 5 alternators. (I work remotely so lots of time it was the only option). Every time I do much as looked at standing water sideways the damn thing would short out.

I now have an eco boost. Live in Houston and have been using it to rescue people and recover cars all weekend. Had water to mid doors the day before yesterday. Damn thing has handled it like a champ. Cheaper than the 5.0 too...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Handsome Devil

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Pismo Beach California
Member #

Well, I don't own either of those vehicles, but I do salt water crossings quite often. I will say that some of the bearings do get dried out over time and will squeak and of course, can wear out and break.

On that same note, I have 166k on my 2011 Toyota that's been hood deep in salt water more times than I can remember and I haven't had a failure yet.

Operative word being yet.

The point is, I wouldn't worry about where the alternator is mounted if I were you. I would just focus on which truck makes you enjoy driving more as their spec sheets are very similar. Although the Ford does have an aluminum frame and assuming you live in Ontario Canada and not Ontario Californa, an aluminum frame could have lots of long term benefits.

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
If you're that deep there are other issues to consider like your differential and transmission breathers too. My 2015 F150 3.5L ecoboost is awesome. I use it as a daily driver as well as wilderness search and rescue.

I'm not super brand loyal, I've owned multiple Silverado's, keeps, and this is my second Ford. My Chryslers have all been cars and they have all been high maintenance. This is my personal expierience, others will likely share the exact opposite.

JGribbs

Rank I

Contributor III

Ontario, Canada
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Gribbon
Well, I don't own either of those vehicles, but I do salt water crossings quite often. I will say that some of the bearings do get dried out over time and will squeak and of course, can wear out and break.

On that same note, I have 166k on my 2011 Toyota that's been hood deep in salt water more times than I can remember and I haven't had a failure yet.

Operative word being yet.

The point is, I wouldn't worry about where the alternator is mounted if I were you. I would just focus on which truck makes you enjoy driving more as their spec sheets are very similar. Although the Ford does have an aluminum frame and assuming you live in Ontario Canada and not Ontario Californa, an aluminum frame could have lots of long term benefits.
Aluminum body* - yes I agree, an advantage since they use tons of calcium on the roads up here and it rusts away vehicle bodies quite bad here. Thanks for the advice though.
Curious, how low does the alternator sit on your Taco? Or is it close to up top?