Rank V

Enthusiast III

Canandaigua, NY, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Larkin
Member #

SO, as part of a month long trip exploring Utah this May, I would like to do Lockhart Basin. I'm in a 4th Gen 4runner, with a 2.5 inch lift, 275/70r17 tires, no lockers (considering putting in a rear TrueTrac, pre trip). Most likely it will be just me and the dog.

Youtube has me questioning what is left of my sanity. If you where me, would you run it North to South or South to North (uphill / downhill)? My overall planned route, could be run in either direction.

I know, I should probably not run this one alone, but YOLO! If anyone wants to come spot, let me know. Early May.

Reactions: Tom Cole

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I think this was in Dec 2017. We had no issues other than running out of daylight at the end in the worst spot (the waterfall section) Oh well. We survived without any issues. Just a PIA with flashlights.

I wouldn't do it solo unless you have some sort of Sat comm device. Lots of people travel this route but you never know when the next vehicle may come along. We ran it South to North. I think we stayed at Hamburger Rock Campground the day prior.

Too many other variables to list to make a decision. Vehicle condition, driver skill, weather... blah blah blah. The trail has probably changed 100 times over since 2017.

1 (16).jpeg

1 (17).jpeg

Reactions: Tom Cole

DaJudge

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Mexico
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Judge
Member #

You shouldn't have any issues with your rig. But if you are doing it solo you should definitely get an emergency communications device. Do you have an idea on the day you will be there?

TOY4RNR

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Canandaigua, NY, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Larkin
Member #

You shouldn't have any issues with your rig. But if you are doing it solo you should definitely get an emergency communications device. Do you have an idea on the day you will be there?
5/6 to 5/10 time frame. I'm there for a month, so I have some flexibility.

Sylvester

Rank V
Investor

Influencer II

Nevada
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Leto II
Member #

Check out Lavender Canyon also You need to draw a Permit and you will be all alone, but it is a stunning area

TOY4RNR

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Canandaigua, NY, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Larkin
Member #

Check out Lavender Canyon also You need to draw a Permit and you will be all alone, but it is a stunning area
Thanks! I'll have a pup with me. Is it worth doing just to where the National Park begins? No Dogs on the trail in the park.