SCrunner

Rank I

Contributor III

Santa Cruz, CA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
M
I want to lift my 4runner but don't know what lift is right for me. I will be doing basic city driving, drives to the snow, and moderate trails for camping. I currently have the KDSS suspension. I read having this setup might limit my choices, is that true? I am looking for a 2.5" lift, Ill go 3" if I have to but I really don't like the look of that extra half inch for some reason. Do people put coils on these rigs?

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Matt.

Reactions: mase001 and BobG

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

There's so so so so so much about this available here and on other forums. I was planning on buying a 2016 4Runner last year and decided I was too in love to get rid of or replace my 2005. But I did do some research:

I don't believe there's a lift in this one. But @Steve has done some magical stuff here:
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/steve’s-2016-toyota-4runner-modification-and-adventure-thread.1353/

@LawnDart has a great set up which makes people drool:
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/2015-4runner-trd-pro-lawndart.3327/

Here's a great video on a 2014 4Runner with an Icon set up on a KDSS rig. The suspension isn't any different on your 2016:

Another great example of what you can do from T4R.org:
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/168993-desert-dawg-build-what-switch.html

Reactions: SCrunner and BobG

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Hey Matt,

Over on the T4R.org 5th generation forum, there are tons of threads on lifting options, and the general consensus is most work with KDSS. I'm not lifting mine unless or until I run into situations where the excellent factory suspension falls short. It is balanced well for the highway, has a lower wind profile, and is all under factory warranty.

From the description of what you want to use yours for, it sounds like my expected use, and you may want to put off the substantial investment, as well. Have you come across situations where you are dragging bottom or have run out of suspension travel or articulation? If not, the expense of $2-3000 might be avoided. Of course if you just want to do it for looks, that's an entirely different thing.

Thanks for the nice compliment, @RaggedViking!

BobG

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Angier, NC, USA
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Gravelle
Member #

There's so so so so so much about this available here and on other forums. I was planning on buying a 2016 4Runner last year and decided I was too in love to get rid of or replace my 2005. But I did do some research:

I don't believe there's a lift in this one. But @Steve has done some magical stuff here:
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/steve’s-2016-toyota-4runner-modification-and-adventure-thread.1353/

@LawnDart has a great set up which makes people drool:
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/2015-4runner-trd-pro-lawndart.3327/

Here's a great video on a 2014 4Runner with an Icon set up on a KDSS rig. The suspension isn't any different on your 2016:

Another great example of what you can do from T4R.org:
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/168993-desert-dawg-build-what-switch.html
Does Toyota void the warranty if this is not done by them?

BobG

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Angier, NC, USA
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Gravelle
Member #

Only if the aftermarket options directly cause a failure, as provided under the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act.
Okay, I heard something similar but wasn't sure if it was true. Thanks Steve!

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

Okay, I heard something similar but wasn't sure if it was true. Thanks Steve!
When I had my Tundra I had all the lift and suspension work done by them for this very reason.
I don't know the details, but I seem to remember that the only way to void the warranty when doing a lift or suspension is from disabling a feature, or changing the angle of the drive shaft past a certain degree.
I don't know the specifics.

@Steve I research things to tedium and have found your post to be EXTREMELY helpful and time saving. When I cut the cord on my 2005 and move into a 2016+, I'll be referring to that post and bothering you as much as possible!!!

mase001

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I'm in the process right now (literally) of lifting my Trail with kdss!

Toytec Ultimate lift with Bilsteins all around. Bump stops and diff drop as well. Upgraded to the camburg ucas as well! Kdss is not affected by lift as long as you get a kit made for it that doesn't relocate sways etc.

3" in front 2" in back roughly. Will sit nice and level.

Last edited:

BobG

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Angier, NC, USA
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Gravelle
Member #

Toytec Ultimate lift with Bilsteins all around. Bump stops and diff drop 2. Upgraded to the camburg ucas as well! Kdss is not affected by lift as long as you get a kit made for it that doesn't relocate sways etc.

This set up looks great! Let us know how it handles please...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: mase001

SCrunner

Rank I

Contributor III

Santa Cruz, CA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
M

Toytec Ultimate lift with Bilsteins all around. Bump stops and diff drop 2. Upgraded to the camburg ucas as well! Kdss is not affected by lift as long as you get a kit made for it that doesn't relocate sways etc.

Oh boy, that is pretty! Please do let us know how it drives along with many photos. What exactly will the camburg ucas do? What was the total cost?

Last edited:
Reactions: mase001 and BobG

mase001

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Oh boy, that is pretty! Please do let us know how it drives along with many photos. What exactly will the camburg ucas do? What was the total cost?
Whenever you lift a vehicle or drop it for that matter the geometry is changed. The adjustable control arms allow the alignment to be brought back to factory specs! If you don't do then you put additional stress and wear on components and it drives goofy! :)

They aren't required but highly recommended for lifts over 2.5" on the 5th gen 4runner.

Reactions: SCrunner

mase001

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Oh and sorry, Ultimate Lift was $1300 roughly and Control arms were $500. Plus labor.

Hope this helps! I have a build thread I'll be posting pics in soon.

SCrunner

Rank I

Contributor III

Santa Cruz, CA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
M
Oh and sorry, Ultimate Lift was $1300 roughly and Control arms were $500. Plus labor.

Hope this helps! I have a build thread I'll be posting pics in soon.

Thanks, it definitely helped. I got my 4runner back in April and haven't found anything I like so I might just have to mimic you haha What size tires have you decided to go with, did you have to cut anything?

mase001

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

l

Alright last question (for now) haha what are and what do control arms do.
See my reply at 8:59pm above but basically they allow you to change camber and caster in the front. The geometry would be off with a lift without and often the truck will not align back to spec without them. Also helps relieve excess wear and tear.

SCrunner

Rank I

Contributor III

Santa Cruz, CA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
M
W
See my reply at 8:59pm above but basically they allow you to change camber and caster in the front. The geometry would be off with a lift without and often the truck will not align back to spec without them. Also helps relieve excess wear and tear.
AH don't know how I missed that, sorry! Thanks again!