• FTS Snorkel

Upcoming:
Auxbeam LED Headlights
Auxbeam 40" Curved LED Bar
Custom Rear Storage and Fridge Slide
Roof Rack Mounted Solar Panel (100W)
Zamp On-Board Solar Controller

(Previous Stages of the Build Below)

Borrowed the Shoes from the Beast for a while... he was not pleased but they look awesome on Momma Bear:

Rockin' the Ghetto Rack with full size spare until the Gobi shows up. 2x2's and a ratchet strap worked great for our Big Bend trip.

I've always been a GM and VW guy but I've recently gotten attached to the Toyota's and I have to say... I've been extremely impressed with this 4Runner so far!

Last edited:

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

I think those Toyota's are great. Wished I could drive them here in the Netherlands. But due weight and the petrol/diesel prices and taxes I just cant afford them.
They both look stunning.

Iubootgater

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Greenwood IN
Member #

@stringtwelve- I keep asking myself do I want/need a new Toyota or a vintage Toyota or LR. I guess I should have known the answer was both! Again, I applaud you sir.

Wilson

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

Thanks for the compliments. I hadn't planned on having two projects at once, but the wife was getting tired of all the hours I was spending in the garage in the evenings, only to have me leave on the weekends to test out whatever mod I had just completed. The 4Runner was the solution to that! Now I'm not as stressed between projects on the 45 since I know I have something ready to roll when I need it. The budget is a little thin for both builds at once but at least I can take my time now.

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

Took Momma Bear out to the Guadalupes this weekend:

Always start with good tunes

Following a trailer queen from the club...

New Mexico Roadblock

Saw several of these guys on the way up the mountain

Landmark Achieved

Home Sweet Home for the weekend

Treading lightly with the propane campfire

Up and at 'em

Playing on the rocks like the big boys do

Loving this Rig

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

That's supposed to be John, not Cody. I was reading another post by Cody, and got confused. Can't edit the posts here to fix it, though.

4running

Rank 0

Traveler I

Love that pic, 4runners in the forest just feel right!

Any recommendations on trails in the Lincoln for a stock 3rd gen? It's an '01, so no rear locker. Always looking for new places to take the family to!

Reactions: Lifestyle Overland

Cappy410

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Okotoks, AB
First Name
Stephane
Last Name
Fortin
Member #

Oh wow! Momma Bear must be happy! I have a sweet spot for Yotas. Next to the Jeep, its definitely my next choice in an overland build. Nicely done!

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

@cappy410 Thanks! We love this build.

@4running Here is a helpful link on FS roads in LNF: http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/lincoln/maps-pubs/?cid=STELPRDB5176616 If you scroll to the bottom you can download the PDF versions of the map. The hard copies are really nice as well if you get the chance to order them or stop by an FS office.

Your stock 4Runner will actually handle most of the roads I'm familiar with. A good trip would be to hit White Sands in the morning, top off in Alamagordo, head up the mountain towards Cloudcroft, then peel off at High Rolls onto FS 90 (Road sign calls it West Side Road). This road skirts Dog Canyon for a long way and has some pretty cool views. Once you get to the end of 90, you can hit E12 north to 6563 back into Cloudcroft for dinner. Be sure and stop in at the Sun Spot Observatory to see if the astronomers will let you take a peek in one of their telescopes.

I'm more familiar with the Guadalupe District further south, so if you head on down to the Carlsbad Caverns I can help you pick some fun trails there as well. Our club (Guadalupe Off-Road Club) goes out there at least once a month so maybe you could time it for one of our trips and get a first-hand tour. Look us up on Facebook! Just stay away from FS 201... that's the mean one! Not impossible for a stock 4Runner but better have some good skid plates.

Hope this gets you started...

4running

Rank 0

Traveler I

16007 said:
@cappy410 Thanks! We love this build. @4running Here is a helpful link on FS roads in LNF: http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/lincoln/maps-pubs/?cid=STELPRDB5176616 If you scroll to the bottom you can download the PDF versions of the map. The hard copies are really nice as well if you get the chance to order them or stop by an FS office. Your stock 4Runner will actually handle most of the roads I’m familiar with. A good trip would be to hit White Sands in the morning, top off in Alamagordo, head up the mountain towards Cloudcroft, then peel off at High Rolls onto FS 90 (Road sign calls it West Side Road). This road skirts Dog Canyon for a long way and has some pretty cool views. Once you get to the end of 90, you can hit E12 north to 6563 back into Cloudcroft for dinner. Be sure and stop in at the Sun Spot Observatory to see if the astronomers will let you take a peek in one of their telescopes. I’m more familiar with the Guadalupe District further south, so if you head on down to the Carlsbad Caverns I can help you pick some fun trails there as well. Our club (Guadalupe Off-Road Club) goes out there at least once a month so maybe you could time it for one of our trips and get a first-hand tour. Look us up on Facebook! Just stay away from FS 201… that’s the mean one! Not impossible for a stock 4Runner but better have some good skid plates. Hope this gets you started…
Great information, I like the sound of the trip starting in White Sands, definitely will have to see about that one this summer. Thanks @StringTwelve!

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

It's been a while but the build is about to get some new mods:

I recently ordered a slimline bumper from Southern Style Speed but came across this post today:

I immediately gave them a call and asked if I could swap my order over to the silver one... yep! Score $300 in savings. And, it's shipping out tomorrow!

Also just got this in from Amazon:

And since there's not many trees in southeast NM:

The goal of this gear is to reduce the risk of getting stuck when we start towing an expedition trailer on solo runs.

Another item on the wishlist is that I really want to take my sliders off and have them rhino lined to stop the rock chips from making rust spots. We will see if I get time for that...

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

Once you get everything installed, i think its only fair you share photos
Ok ok, you twisted my arm... I'll post them up once I get some work done. :tonguewink:

Also, I will be installing a dual battery system in this rig. I have a National Luna kit that I never got installed in the Troopy, so it's going into the 4Runner.