Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
The 4Runner looks great. Is the switch for the winch mounted inside the cab? Or is it accessible to attach the controller when needed?

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

@ShawnR The controller is mounted in the nose, in front of the radiator. I can reach the switch and the hardwire port from a cutout in the upper radiator cover. The winch controls are also wireless, so I just flip the switch, grab the remote and winch away.

Reactions: ShawnR

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
@ShawnR The controller is mounted in the nose, in front of the radiator. I can reach the switch and the hardwire port from a cutout in the upper radiator cover. The winch controls are also wireless, so I just flip the switch, grab the remote and winch away.
Ah, ok. I really like the clean look of this. Stealthy, yet functional.

Reactions: Lifestyle Overland

MrHentoni

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Littleton, CO, USA
Member #

The 5th Gen Runners have definitely been growing on me... and now I think you've gone and changed that for good. Maybe I'll have to get one for the girl, or maybe myself and give her the 3rd gen... The hidden winch definitely ties everything in perfectly. Its not big and bulky like an ARB or Shrockworks full bumper, just nice and clean, but still ups the capability.

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

@Mike G Glad you like her!

@MrHentoni Thanks! You're right, the bumper just does it for this build. All the others just took too much away from a beautiful front end. And while I'm all about function over form, this was one area I wanted to save weight, time, and cost in. The SSS bumper fit this bill.

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

Completed the dual battery install this weekend. The National Luna dual battery kit was a pleasure to install. The Shrockworks kit was ok, but got negative points due to a missing bracket I had specifically requested. I ended up fabricating my own bracket, and the end result was probably better than their configuration would have been anyhow. With my method, the air injection pump is high and tight to the firewall, away from the cylinder head heat and any direct splashes from the undercarriage area.

Before/After

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

Here's a recent pic with the LEDs installed and the new Turtleback hitched up. Eventually I want to cut down the LED brackets to get them closer to the roof rack fairing. They stand up too tall for my taste now.

Last edited:

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Oh it's on "the list" but we're about done spending money... for like a decade. :tongueclosed:

Lol, I am with you.... I am about finished for awhile, my XJ was just so stock when I got it, I could NOT handle the "stockness" any longer :sunglasses: