Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

@jordanbrooks Honestly, I simply don't use it much. With a good set of sliders, it's much easier to load the rack from the sides than to climb on top. I bet I haven't used it 5 times. But to be fair, I'm 6'3" so shorter folks might prefer climbing up on the roof.
As to the quality, it's top notch.

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

@stringtwelve i'm 6'1" so not to far off.. I just like it for getting to the back and have always wanted one. I plan on going with that ladder and getting some good sturdy sliders also.

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

Here's a recent pic with the LEDs installed and the new Turtleback hitched up. Eventually I want to cut down the LED brackets to get them closer to the roof rack fairing. They stand up too tall for my taste now.
Looks great, makes me want to buy a modern Toyota. Having said that, if I ever have the money I want to go older and get a 40 series.

Reactions: Lifestyle Overland

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

Thanks everyone, glad you like our setup!

As to using it... we are doing just that for the next 9 days. Check out our instgram account to get the most up to date info. I will follow up with some blog posts when I get back to civilization!

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

I'm not saying the rig build is "done" but we've finally reached a place where everything is pretty much set the way we want it for the long haul. We just returned from our west coast via Death Valley trip which was incredible. I'm a bit depressed now that its all over and so I turn to Overland Bound again to start dreaming and planning on the next adventure.

Here's some pictures from our trip:

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

Build update... looks like we are getting a new wiring harness:

I had parked the rig in the barn out of the hail storm... not 6 hours later I pulled it out and had all kinds of warning lights blinking. After two hours of investigation I found 4 sets of wires clipped by rats both on top of the transmission and between the engine and firewall. After a quick call to the insurance to confirm coverage, I sent the poor girl to the dealer for some TLC.
I usually do all my own repairs, but not wanting to risk the possibility of missing a half-chewed wire, I sent it in for some "professional" care.

Looks like the Beast just got promoted to daily driver!

In the meantime... anyone want to help hunt rats?

Crispy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Redmond, OR, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Crisp
Member #

@stringtwelve sorry to hear about your wire harness. Good thing the insurance will pick up the tab. You may want to look into getting the Rid-O-Rat for the rig.

http://www.rid-a-rat.com/
Is this real? Never heard of this device.
Build update... looks like we are getting a new wiring harness:

I had parked the rig in the barn out of the hail storm... not 6 hours later I pulled it out and had all kinds of warning lights blinking. After two hours of investigation I found 4 sets of wires clipped by rats both on top of the transmission and between the engine and firewall. After a quick call to the insurance to confirm coverage, I sent the poor girl to the dealer for some TLC.
I usually do all my own repairs, but not wanting to risk the possibility of missing a half-chewed wire, I sent it in for some "professional" care.

Looks like the Beast just got promoted to daily driver!

In the meantime... anyone want to help hunt rats?

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

Is this real? Never heard of this device.
Oh, its real brother! I've never used one so I cant say if it works or not but they do offer a 100% refund if you don't like it. A few years back I had a Rat chew up some wires on the 4Runner and I was looking into buying one. It might be a good investment especially if your out in the woods.

http://www.rid-a-rat.com/

Reactions: Lifestyle Overland