Member #

Build Update:

4.88 Ratio Nitro Gears Installed
ARB Front Locker Installed

Hellooooo torque!

Next up... 285/75R17's BFG KO2s

Future Upgrades:

Rear Storage with Fridge Slide
Solar Array on Roof Rack (Mounted under the grating)
Zamp Solar Controller

Reactions: YETI X and Jimmy P

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

Is your rig kdss equipped? What are your thoughts on that?
No, we steered clear of the KDSS. It affects too many components we wanted to install. Save your money and put a good suspension under it and it will handle like a sports(ish) car. A dramatic improvement over stock for sure.

mrn3ff

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Tennessee
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Neff
We were able to swap the Die-Hard and factory battery out for the new Odyssey units before our trip to Tennessee. The improvement was dramatic. There is no hesitation when starting and the new battery runs the accessories with ease now.
The next phase of this dual battery setup is to swap ALL accessories over to the auxiliary battery and relocate the battery monitor display to a better position for visibility on the dash.
Where are you thinking of putting the battery monitor? Still searching for a location myself...

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

JeffG98034

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Kirkland, Washington
Member #

Here my wife's project and the family's primary Overlanding build:

Current Configuration:

Current Stats:

2014 Trail Edition 4Runner
  • 4.88 Ratio Nitro Gears
  • ARB Front Locker
  • Toyota Rear Locker
  • ICON Stage 2 Suspension
  • Old Man Emu 2899 "Super Heavies" Rear Springs
  • Bud Built Sliders
  • SCS Stealth 6 Wheels
  • BFG T/A 285/75R17 Tires
  • ARB Dual Compressor on portable skid
  • ARB 50qt Freezer/Fridge
  • Uniden Bearcat CB
  • Larsen CB Antenna w/Diamond Rack Mount
  • Yaesu FTM-400XDR Dual Band Radio
  • Larsen Dual Band Antenna w/Diamond Rack Mount
  • Gobi Rack with Hi-lift and Pull Pal Mounts
  • Southern Style Offroad Slimline Bumper w/25" LED Bar
  • Southern Style Offroad Rear Bumper
  • Smittybuilt X20 10,000lb Winch w/Synthetic Line
  • National Luna Dual Battery System
  • Shrockworks Aux Battery Mount Sytem
  • OPT7 and Nilight LED Rack Lights
  • BAXF OBDII Reader with Bluetooth
  • Torque Pro Engine Diagnostics App
  • Samsung Tab 2 on Ram Mount
  • FTS Snorkel

Upcoming:
Auxbeam LED Headlights
Auxbeam 40" Curved LED Bar
Custom Rear Storage and Fridge Slide
Roof Rack Mounted Solar Panel (100W)
Zamp On-Board Solar Controller

(Previous Stages of the Build Below)

Borrowed the Shoes from the Beast for a while... he was not pleased but they look awesome on Momma Bear:

Rockin' the Ghetto Rack with full size spare until the Gobi shows up. 2x2's and a ratchet strap worked great for our Big Bend trip.

I've always been a GM and VW guy but I've recently gotten attached to the Toyota's and I have to say... I've been extremely impressed with this 4Runner so far!
I really like your 4runner..maybe one day I'll get mine started...

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

Where are you thinking of putting the battery monitor? Still searching for a location myself...

I mounted it here with Velcro tape. Looking at other dual battery control options in the future though. The relay keeps dropping out and the monitor isn't accurate :(

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk
IMG_20180128_093824.jpg

Reactions: mrn3ff

AZ Explorer

Rank 0

Contributor I

Phx, AZ
Member #

I’m a new member to OB. Love your YouTube channel and your family oriented attitude. And welcome to Phx!
I saw in one of your videos that you installed an ARB locker in your 4Runner, I had one installed on my FJ last September by 4wheelers supply but they can’t get it to stop leaking oil where the dif splits apart after several attempts. Can you recommend a shop that that might be able to help me fix this problem.

Thx
-M

Reactions: Lifestyle Overland

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

Hey glad you enjoyed our videos!

Give Raven Industries a call (480) 559-7873 and they can fix you right up! Tell them I sent you :) (They also are called NoCoast Differentials for some reason so don't let that throw you.

AZ Explorer

Rank 0

Contributor I

Phx, AZ
Member #

Thanks for the reference, I went and checked them out today and they seem to know what they do “differentials”. I mention that you sent me there and they were pleased to get the reference, I will be dropping off my truck next Monday.

Thx again!
-M

Plisken

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins CO, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Shields
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0GZI
Service Branch
US Army
[QUOTE="

Also just got this in from Amazon:

And since there's not many trees in southeast NM:

The goal of this gear is to reduce the risk of getting stuck when we start towing an expedition trailer on solo runs.

Another item on the wishlist is that I really want to take my sliders off and have them rhino lined to stop the rock chips from making rust spots. We will see if I get time for that...[/QUOTE]

Where/How do you store the PullPal when travelling? We too frequently break Rule #1 and travel solo so items like this are a necessity. I believe the rear swing-out bumper I'm looking at has a mounting option for this and a Hi-lift but if not...where does it go?

Plisken

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins CO, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Shields
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0GZI
Service Branch
US Army
Build update... looks like we are getting a new wiring harness:

I had parked the rig in the barn out of the hail storm... not 6 hours later I pulled it out and had all kinds of warning lights blinking. After two hours of investigation I found 4 sets of wires clipped by rats both on top of the transmission and between the engine and firewall. After a quick call to the insurance to confirm coverage, I sent the poor girl to the dealer for some TLC.
I usually do all my own repairs, but not wanting to risk the possibility of missing a half-chewed wire, I sent it in for some "professional" care.

In the meantime... anyone want to help hunt rats?
Infuriating! I had this happen to my KTM 950 a few years ago when I parked it under my deck overnight to keep it out of the weather. It required a whole new harness because the "tasty" wires are apparently all at the main fuse box housing. BTW porcupines will do similar damage to low lying wires and hoses...something to keep in mind when traveling.

Reactions: Mike P and RainGoat