Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Palmer, Alaska
First Name
David
Last Name
Plant
Member #

I have a Canon T1i that I use from time to time, but it's becoming rarer that I take it on a trip with me. Worrying about dirt, the bulkiness of the bag, and my lack of any real skill keeps me from using it as much as I'd like too. Maybe one day I'll figure it out.

I mostly use my Nexus 5x for pictures, it has a pretty good camera built in and works for most situations.
I also have a Canon T1i that carries my all-in-one lens, the Canon 18 - 200 MM "Kit" lens with image stabilization. This is a fairly reasonable priced lens that allows you to go from moderately wide angle to a moderate tele-zoom. Of course it's not of the image quality as the high end lenses, but it takes nice pictures. I would encourage you to just keep takin pics. Compare the ones you like to the ones you don't. Try to figure out what you did different. Stick with it and over time you get better. :-)

Reactions: Joey D

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

For stills, I use:
Nikon D-750
Nikon F-4S
Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.4D
Nikkor AF-S 24-120mm f/4G ED VR
Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD
Tamron SP 15-30mm f/2.8 Di VC USD
Nikon SB-800 Speedlight
Here are some photos from today from the "Pay It Forward "thread. My new travel pack.

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
I mostly use my iPhone for stills, but video is another story (mostly do to sound quality, low light, and zoom capability). I've got a couple Gopros, and a DJI Phantom II, but this one's my favorite...

Sony PXW X70 - 4k
3 Pin XLR (2) Balanced Audio
Switchable 48v Phantom Power
10 Bit - 4:2:2 Color - 1" Sensor
24x Optical / 48x Digital Zoom
EVF & 3.5" LCD Monitor
Wifi Live Streaming - Duel Card Slots
HDMI & HD-SDI Outputs -
Built in 2, 4, & 6 Stop ND Filters
Sennhieser 416 Shotgun Mic
Follow Focus
Remote Zoom / Record Control

Last edited:
Reactions: Crispy

PenmanPhoto

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

East, SOMD
Member #

PenmanPhoto here...I shoot with Nikon D800 and D750. Lens is either my Nikkor 24-70mm or my Sigma 35mm. If anyone is interested my photo pages on FB and instagram is @PenmanPhoto and @aircooledjunkie

Reactions: EricB72

snozberries

Rank 0

Traveler I

Martinez, CA
First Name
Cory
Last Name
Maxon
Just recently got back into photography and bought a camera bundle for pretty cheap. Nikon D5200 with a few lenses and batteries.

Can't wait for camping season (even though it's technically year round).

Reactions: Kelly

ttephotos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Izmir, Turkey
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Tucker
Member #

Killer to see some other photographers!

Used to shoot Canon full L setups etc, dumped it last year for an XT-1 and have not looked back, just swapped it out for the T-2. Have a full line of lenses, 10-24 by far is best for landscapes, the new 16 rocks for astro work. I have the 50-140 on the way but for now the 56 1.2 does lovley for portraits. Also recently picked up a Mavic and am loving it for video! I travel a lot so going down on weight has been wonderful!

Also have a Hassy 501c for when I have the space or have film in.

DSCF0193.jpg DSCF3285.jpg

Last edited:

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Also have a Hassy 501c for when I have the space or have film in.
Damn, man! That's gorgeous! I've wanted one since the astronauts carried them into space in the '60s. I figured they'd come down to somewhat affordable prices on eBay after the digital takeover of commercial photography, but nope, still on my dream camera list...

ASNOBODY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate II

Detroit, Michigan
Member #

Also recently picked up a Mavic and am loving it for video!
I'm considering picking one up too. Seems like the best option for all around experience that isn't an industrial drone. How delicate/robust is it? I've watched tons of videos and reviews but none really express how breakable it is in the hands of a maniac who has no experience lol. I guess I should just go somewhere and hold one for myself.

Nice Hasselblad!!!

ttephotos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Izmir, Turkey
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Tucker
Member #

I'm considering picking one up too. Seems like the best option for all around experience that isn't an industrial drone. How delicate/robust is it? I've watched tons of videos and reviews but none really express how breakable it is in the hands of a maniac who has no experience lol. I guess I should just go somewhere and hold one for myself.

They are pretty solid and a lot of fun to fly honestly. I find myself enjoying just zipping the thing around more than actually filming or photographing sometimes! Obviously, a good crash will thrash it but they pretty much fly themselves, as long as your conscious of what your doing you will have a harder time crashing than flying.

Reactions: ASNOBODY

PenmanPhoto

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

East, SOMD
Member #

I've been useing my Nikon d90 for quite awhile now. I also have a GoPro hero2 that I rarely use pretty much all my video is done on my iPhone 6s+. As I get more into video I'm thinking I may upgrade in the near future.
View attachment 21002
Nice!...D90 was my first digital camera, awesome camera. I put that camera through hell on hikes while I was stationed in Hawai'i.

Reactions: Ontario Overland

EricB72

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wynnewood, PA
Member #

Congrats! They are lovley and will snap a few necks coming out of the camera bag. Good conversation piece when at group shoots / events. Models seem to love mine as well.
Thank you! You're right, it definitely gets attention....especially from people who know what it is.

ttephotos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Izmir, Turkey
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Tucker
Member #

Thank you! You're right, it definitely gets attention....especially from people who know what it is.
Ya I have had more than a few folks give me the "wait a minute, is that what I think it is" look. I am a younger dude as well so it usually throws them off that I have a film camera let alone a hassy

Reactions: EricB72

EricB72

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wynnewood, PA
Member #

Ya I have had more than a few folks give me the "wait a minute, is that what I think it is" look. I am a younger dude as well so it usually throws them off that I have a film camera let alone a hassy
Haha...exactly! I've gotten that look a few times. Imagine when you tell them you only have 12 shots at a time.

I've noticed a resurgence of interest in film photography. Let's keep it going.