Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

near far errors though I have the 100s and heard the newer ones are even better. It's not a big deal but can be frustrating when you are coming from a d750 that focuses on an ants ass at 500 meters.
Yea, I recently upgraded from my D200 to the D750, and it is just a fantastic body! Fitted with 50mm, 15-30mm, 24-120mm, and 150-600mm, I'm ready for most situations!

Reactions: villaphoto

villaphoto

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Campbell
Member #

Currently, I'm shooting with Canon equipment.

Canon 5dIII
Canon 1dIV
Canon 70-200 2.8L IS
Canon 16-35 2.8
Canon 50 1.4
Canon 300 f2.8L IS
I've also got a flash, some light stands, Lee filters, tripods etc.

I did have a stint with a Fuji X100T last year, but sold it after I started dipping my feet more into video work. The new Canon 6dmkII has me eyeing it, as I'm really interested in the Canon AF system when it comes to video and the flip out LCD.

Otherwise, I mostly shoot editorial sports photography along with some commercial stills and video work. It's been a blast the last few months really pushing myself into trying to get a grasp on landscape photography, which is a huge challenge. Especially learning to slow down, take my time and compose. I finally found a carbon tripod, which should make my hiking trips a bit more feasible, now I just want to add some graduated ND's and a F-Stop Gear bag to the collection to round it out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

T

The Raven

Yea, I recently upgraded from my D200 to the D750, and it is just a fantastic body! Fitted with 50mm, 15-30mm, 24-120mm, and 150-600mm, I'm ready for most situations!
It is a great body. I came from a D300s but I loved it so much I sent it back to Nikon for a reconditioning. I'm not gentle with my camera gear so it should be interesting to see how the d750 performs. The flip screen worries me, but I have not heard about any failures.

Lepik

Rank II

Advocate II

Colorado
If i want to go all out I will shoot on my Canon 7D Mark II and lenses but this post is not about that. We have the Olympus TG series cameras that we take almost everywhere. I think they are on the TG-4 right now. Those things are awesome. Waterproof, dust proof, shock and drop proof. Super Compact and handles all the elements with grace. If you are looking for something sub $300 I would def consider giving that camera a look. Handles it all

D3Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Canterbury, UK
Member #

I always carry my Nikon D7200 with a spare D7000 body - with 10-20mm , 18-200mm and a 50-500mm... I also have a GoPro Hero 5 attached the car most of the time when on the trails..

jtranum

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Cleveland, MS
Member #

Canon 5d mkiii

Lenses always in my bag are:

Favorite lens: Canon 24-70 f/2.8 is, great all around

Wide angle: Canon 16-35 f/2.8 is

Zoom lens: Canon 70-200 f/2.8 is, this lens is pure magic, it's bulky and heavy but the images it produces it worth the weight.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Sparky

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Jose, California
Member #

Sounds like a great setup, which 150-600mm are you using? I've got an older Sigma 150mm macro which has been fantastic but I'm looking for a little more reach and zoom function would be nice.

Reactions: Steve

Brandon Harvey

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Oregon
Member #

First of all, great thread, thanks @Raul B . For a long time I was a die hard DSLR guy but due to many technological advances with media, mirrorless and my style (getting older sometimes warrants lighter gear). Given that I have made some adjustments to my kit. I use to have a D800e and a D7100 with numerous lenses, my favorite lens was a sigma 50 HSM 1.4 for the D800e and the Tokina 11-16 2.4 for the D7100; honestly I loved this setup and got some amazing images. But given my shooting style and desire to get into video now have a GoPro Hero 5 Black with Karma Grip which I love, still learning how to use it thought. Looking to add another GoPro and maybe the Karma drone in the next year. So far my favorite feature is the simplicity while keeping the image quality. Second favorite feature is timelapse video and photo options. For the regular camera I use an iPhone, Nikon P7800 and recently acquired Sony Rx1R which is just utterly AMAZING, spendy but compared to the DLSR setup it is equal in price.

Keep in mind that this kit is for my shooting style which is primarily Panoramic's and learning to do more video and timelapse type work. If you are interested you can see some of my work online at https://www.facebook.com/pg/brandonharveyphoto/photos/?ref=page_internal or if you are in the Ocean Park, Washington area you can get a glimpse or purchase at Bay View Gallery.

Again great thread.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Speaking of Nikkor lenses, I could be tempted to sell a few if there was any interest.

Nikkor AF 16mm f/2.8D
Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.4D
Nikkor AF 60mm f/2.8 Micro
Nikkor AF 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF
Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4D ED-IF

Sparky

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Jose, California
Member #

Both the 15-30 and 150-600 are Tamron lenses. The 24-120 is the Nikkor kit lens.

Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD
Tamron SP 15-30mm f/2.8 Di VC USD
Nikkor AF-S 24-120mm f/4G ED VR
Cool. I knew Sigma had one, haven't checked out Tamron in awhile but I'll take a look. I think I saw something about a wide angle zoom they're having luck with.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I knew Sigma had one, haven't checked out Tamron in awhile but I'll take a look.
Sigma has two, one in the same price as the Tamron, and one more expensive. Most reviews rate the two like-priced lenses pretty equally. It depends if you have an affinity for one brand or the other. The Tamron 150-600 was my first non-Nikkor lens in about 20 years, so I didn't have a preference on brand. What it came down to for me was the rotation of the zoom grip. Tamron is the same direction as Nikon's lenses, and Sigma the opposite.

Rubicajon

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Panama City Beach, FL, USA
First Name
RUBI
Last Name
CAJON
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5VLS
Service Branch
Seabee’s
Hello Steve. What would you recommend for someone as 1st camera purchase. Im looking to upgrade from my phone and point and shoot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using OB Talk mobile app

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

What would you recommend for someone as 1st camera purchase. Im looking to upgrade from my phone and point and shoot.
Well, the answers to that question are enough for several books! :) How much do you want to spend? What do you want to shoot? And what do you want to do with the images?

The first question is obvious. The second; animals with a big zoom, landscapes, closeups of bugs and plants? And lastly, do you want to print large posted or wall hangings? Photos for forums or Instagram? Or just to show grandma and memories for when you're older?

Here's a good starter thread here on the forum: https://overlandbound.com/forums/threads/camera-equipment-suggestions.7085/ Pay attention to @Young Satchel 's post, and look at some of his photographs. Most are taken with a phone, and look better than what I take with my expensive kit! It is much more "eye" and technique than equipment!

METIS

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Redwood City, CA
Member #

Terrible at this stuff as well. Used to believe in only full frame dSLRs. Today I shoot nearly everything with my iPhone (X should be arriving any day now).

I use the following in conjunction with my iPhone:
  • Beastgrip w/macro & wide lenses
  • Røde VideoMicro Mic
  • Modular LED light
  • Windshield mount which works on clean body panels as well
  • Manfrotto universal phone mount
If I want better images I'll grab whatever Nikon dSLR body I currently have. It's a crop sensor, but still have a bunch of full frames lying around. The crop sensor is nice because of it's weight and I simply don't worry about it much as it's not hurtful when damaged. I do however believe in good glass, so that's where the $ is. I also have a bunch of Sony Micro 4:3 mirrorless cameras which I loved originally, but just doesn't have the depth that is achievable with a dSLR and proper glass.

Finally, there are gadgets and toys. DJI Drones, DJI Osmo, and a Waylens Horizon (which I use in a road car).

Corey Carrico

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Highlands Ranch CO
Member #

I primarily shoot wildlife and landscapes with a Nikon D500 w/ 16-80 f2.8-4, 70-200 f4, and 200-500 f5.6.

When packing light, or one of my kids want to shoot, I bring an Olympus EM5 w/ 14-150, fisheye, 20, and 45