Launch Member

Influencer II

Kyle, Hays County, Texas, United States
First Name
Raul
Last Name
Banuelos
Member #

I searched but couldn't find a camera thread so I figured I would start one....

So what does everyone else use to not only take pictures but to film their adventures? For a while I used to bring my Canon DSLR with me everywhere I went but when phone cameras started getting a lot better I have since started to leave my bulky camera at home.... Now granted nothing will ever replace a high end camera but I'm curious to see what everyone else uses...

Myself I have a Samsung galaxy S7. any pictures you see on my social media outlet is taken with this phone as well as video on my youtube channel and blog. With that being said I have really been looking at getting a mirrorless camera with either wifi or Bluetooth so that I can transfer images to either my phone or laptop so I could post them.

So what is everyone else using? what has worked and not worked for you?

-Raul

Preston Tiegs

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Provo Utah
Member #

For video, I use a GoPro Hero 3. I love that I can put it anywhere, and it's lasted me two years so far! Though sometimes the wide angle makes hills look flatter than there actually were.

For stills, I use the camera on my Nexus 6P. Takes pretty good shots, but I'm hoping to upgrade to a nicer, portable camera soon.

Thinking of this one:

Canon PowerShot G9 X Digital Camera with 3x Optical Zoom, Built-in Wi-Fi and 3 inch LCD (Black)

Reactions: W6WWK

druff6991

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Carlsbad NM
Member #

I was thinking about getting the karma system from go pro. But with all the rules surrounding drones im kinda cautious.

But as of right now everything is off my s7 active

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using OB Talk mobile app

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
Using a Nikon D7100 DLSR with lenses, Nikon CoolPix S7000 point and shoot and my iPhone 6. No video system yet but want a GoPro.

Reactions: WCO_Ryan

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
I use a Sony a7s for photos and video. It's great for photos, but I do mostly video with it. I also used my CAME Optimus Gimbal for some shots for upcoming videos.

I got the GoPro Hero 5 Black and let me tell you it's a FAR FAR FAR better camera to any GoPro I've had before. It's really nice.

For stills we use iPhones. It's shameful, I know. But I'm focused on video and I can't manage both.

-M

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

For wildlife and some landscapes, my Nikon D50
For most pics I use my phone.

Crispy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Redmond, OR, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Crisp
Member #

For video and stills:
  • GoPro Hero, Hero 2, and Hero 4.
  • Canon T1i
  • Sony A6000
  • Samsung Galaxy S6 Active
  • Levin 1.5" 1080P FHD Car DVR 170 Wide Angle Car DashCam
  • Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens
  • Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS
  • Sony 16-50mm f/3.5 Lens
  • 12mm Rokinon F2.0
I'm pretty much in love with the size and portability of the Sony A6000. Sometimes I shoot exclusively with just the Sony paired with the 12mm Rokinon f/2.0. It does suck up battery, so I bring three.

ASNOBODY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate II

Detroit, Michigan
Member #

For video I've been using a combo of my IPhone 7, a couple of GoPro Hero Session 4's and a Sony NEX-7.

For photos I've been using the NEX family for several years with a combo of lenses like the Zeiss 12mm f/2.8 Touit, Zeiss 85mm f/1.8 Batis and a Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3…and a number of smaller point and shoots. I've been incredibly rough on these poor guys. All have been dropped, thrown and dragged unintentionally over the years and are showing their age and battle scars.

This is all about to change tomorrow though as I take delivery of a new Sony A7R II and FE 24-70mm f/2.8 G Master lens. Woohoo!!! (don't tell my wife please)

Sweet baby jeebus… (also, semi appropriate Internet (BROverland) picture hehe)

Last edited:

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I moved the thread to "Overland Related Recreation", as there are a couple photography threads here.

For stills, I use:
Nikon D-750
Nikon F-4S
Nikkor AF 16mm f/2.8D
Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.4D
Nikkor AF 60mm f/2.8 Micro
Nikkor AF 85mm f/1.4D
Nikkor AF 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF
Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4D ED-IF
Nikkor AF-S 24-120mm f/4G ED VR
Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD
Tamron SP 15-30mm f/2.8 Di VC USD
Nikon SB-800 Speedlight

But mostly, the emboldened items

For stills and video, I use my iPhone 6S and V.I.O POV HD camera (like GoPro, but several years earlier)

Last edited:

macr88

Rank VI
Launch Member

Protector II

Emmett, ID, USA
First Name
Mac
Last Name
Raslan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7TLH or GMRS WRBM678
Service Branch
Sweet District II
For video and stills:
  • GoPro Hero, Hero 2, and Hero 4.
  • Canon T1i
  • Sony A6000
  • Samsung Galaxy S6 Active
  • Levin 1.5" 1080P FHD Car DVR 170 Wide Angle Car DashCam
  • Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens
  • Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS
  • Sony 16-50mm f/3.5 Lens
  • 12mm Rokinon F2.0
I'm pretty much in love with the size and portability of the Sony A6000. Sometimes I shoot exclusively with just the Sony paired with the 12mm Rokinon f/2.0. It does suck up battery, so I bring three.
I have an a6000 and keep it charged via usb

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

I use
  • Samsung Galaxy Note 5
  • GoPro Hero 4 Silver
  • Nikon CoolPix S6200
  • Nikon D5500 w/ kit lens
Still working on getting used to the D5500, but plan on using it a lot more this year. Looking for a couple different lenses for it too. I want to get into astrophotography more, and get something that has more zoom to it, but not break the bank.

Reactions: Terry Pickens

nparker72

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Akron, Ohio
Member #

I use my samsung galaxy s7 and my nikon l810 from when I was in high school photography. Looking at upgrading that nikon go a d3200 since it has manual zoom lenses and better megapixel.

Hopefully the d3200 will satisfy my photography needs.

Also i have been looking at camera kits for my phone.
-usually a case where you can attach a macro or wide angle lens to it. Some have telescoping lenses.

I know there is a high quality case/grip made by beast grip. Its a universal phone mount that is a bit pricy but could do exactly what some are looking for on phone photography.

If you guys are interested I can always post or DM you links to these products they've all caught my eye.

Sent from my SM-G930P using OB Talk mobile app

AKBushDag

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Palmer, Alaska
First Name
David
Last Name
Plant
Member #

When going light, I use the Fujifilm X-T1, with wide and/or tele lens. If weight is not an issue, I go with Canon 7-D (primary) and 50D (secondary) and assorted L-lenses from 11MM - 400MM. My philosophy, "It's not the violin, it's the violinist." We all have our preferences for cameras, but you don't need a high end camera to take great pictures. Just take all the pics you want. So long as you are happy with them, that's all that matters! Wanna get that "one-in-a-million" shot? Take a million pictures. :-)

Joey D

Rank IV
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Holladay, UT
Member #

I have a Canon T1i that I use from time to time, but it's becoming rarer that I take it on a trip with me. Worrying about dirt, the bulkiness of the bag, and my lack of any real skill keeps me from using it as much as I'd like too. Maybe one day I'll figure it out.

I mostly use my Nexus 5x for pictures, it has a pretty good camera built in and works for most situations.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Anyone else use Polaroids or any other instant cameras at all? I have an Impossible Project I-1 camera and a Polaroid SX-70. They constantly malfunction though :/
I just got a first generation SX-70 gone over, lubed, and in good working order now. Beautiful camera. Too bad the film is so expensive and slow to develop. I was used to the 20 second Polaroid film from days gone by. Daughter has a Fuji with smaller film. Guess it is the thing for kids at college.

ASNOBODY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate II

Detroit, Michigan
Member #

I just got a first generation SX-70 gone over, lubed, and in good working order now. Beautiful camera. Too bad the film is so expensive and slow to develop. I was used to the 20 second Polaroid film from days gone by. Daughter has a Fuji with smaller film. Guess it is the thing for kids at college.
Haha yeah those college kids. *looks over awkwardly at two Fujifilm Instax cameras*

I love the SX-70 but yeah the film…ugh. The Impossible Project camera is actually pretty great. There is an app to view and trigger remotely and a bunch of other features but it's just not reliable. :/

Reactions: Steve